From: "Wagner, Jim"
Subject: Bob Dylan
Date sent: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:57:47 -0500

Bob Dylan is currently touring with Phil Lesh & Friends as the opening act. They recently played in Pittsburgh (Friday, November 5th). Phil and Friends performed a fantastic version of "Dear Mr. Fantasy." I not really a "Deadhead," more of a "Greyhead" (Touch of Grey), but this song was fantastic. Bob was enjoyable, too!

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date sent: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 02:47:23 -0800 (PST)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: New Auction Siute Found

Hello: Jay here. While searching the net, I found a new auction site in competition with eBay. GOLDS AUCTIONS http://www.goldsauction.com it is set up the same as eBay, and no CREDIT CARD is required to join. You get on INSTANTLY! Anyway, I listed some new MUSIC items. Put BLUENIGEL in SELLERS SEARCH.

THXS Jay

check it out.
GOLDS AUCTIONS http://www.goldsauction.com

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Winwood, PA
Date sent: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:09:32 -0500

Thought you'd get a kick out of this 1910 postcard from eBay. The town isn't in my atlas, but a quick search indicates that it does exist and seems to be near Philadelphia. Go figure!

Hmmm, "The Not Our Steve Winwood List"?
- Australian race car driver Steve Winwood
- Actress Estelle Winwood
- Winwood, PA
- Winwood publishers
- etc

Steve

[The postcard Steve refers to has been uploaded to the web-site. From the main page, click on Interviews & Links, then click on Other Winwoods, and then click on Winwood, PA. Anyone have any more for me? --BG]

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date sent: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:15:58 -0500
From: Dawn
Subject: While There's a Candle Burning

Hi everyone!

One of the coolest things about this newsletter is hearing Steve's music through other fans' ears. From the last SP, Hisao obviously enjoys studying the music with a theorist's eye, noting the chord changes and the correlation to other styles. I can't pretend I understood *everything* you said there, Hisao (grin), but it sure was interesting to read! Thank you for your insights.

There are so many different levels on which you can enjoy his music - just listen and bounce your head to it in the car, or dance to it (not in the car, please!), study the musical structure, ponder the meanings of the lyrics, wonder how they relate to your own life or to Steve's, enjoy your own personal recollections the songs conjure up, or listen to the sound of his voice, and let the mood of the music take you wherever. "And it takes me.... and I go."

I thought it might be interesting for us to look at the songs themselves, and say what ever part of it means something to you, what part touches you, or what you think it was meant to say as written. (BTW, Berkin dearest, I KNOW that Steve doesn't write most of the lyrics, as you are so fond of pointing out, LOL... but they are written for him, maybe even sometimes about him, and he chooses to sing them, so I insist on believing that they have some significance to him, whether he assisted in writing them or not!) :-)

For example,I was recently driving up the Palisades Interstate Parkway in New York, and the driving there is treacherous at the moment, due to tons of construction. As I was so distracted, I was barely paying any attention to the "Talking Back to the Night" tape playing on the car stereo. But you know how sometimes you listen to a song for years, maybe even sing along, not giving a thought to what the words mean, and then you suddenly have this moment of clarity in which you think you finally know what the song is about? A word or phrase jumps out at you, and the lightbulb goes on?

As I wove around the menacing orange cones, the words to "While There's A Candle" must've crept into my subconscious. I had always just assumed the song was a conversation with an old friend or lover, and the lines about the world being full of "players in the night" were cautioning against unfaithful lovers. But then, since "Still in the Game" refers to "players who can't leave their song", I thought, "OH, Will Jennings users the word 'players' to mean musicians!" How silly of me! And if that is true, the whole meaning of the song changed for me.

Jennings has said that he wrote the lyrics to "While You See A Chance", at least in part, to nudge Steve out of a slump. So with that in mind, listen to "While There's a Candle" again. It now sounds, to me at least, like a musician talking to his fans, wondering where they've gone to, and warning about soulless "new age" (new wave? perhaps) musicians who are just in it for the money and the rock star glory. "They don't care if they touch you (emotionally?)". But, as this musician promises, he'll be "reaching for your heart", and if you will bear with him while he finds his "new page", he will show you that he "know[s] how to play [his] part", and "still know[s] how to rock you, come and see". To me, the candle burning is his muse, still burning within.

What did you all think this song is about? Does this sound remotely on target to you? I'd love to hear some comments!

Take care,
Dawn

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date sent: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:37:03 -0600
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: quick, cheap remasters!

For those of us in the States, here's a good way to get the new Traffic remastered CDs. Go to www.101cd.com on the Web -- it's a British music retailer. Under their Traffic listings, select the 3 albums in the "Recent/Upcoming Releases" box, under "UK Releases." (NOTE: Don't select the ones that say "remastered," as those are from the continent and take longer. The UK CDs don't say "remastered," but do have the 10/25/99 release date.) My CDs arrived in about one week (unlike 4 weeks with CD Europe) and the total cost was only 24 Pounds (about $40).

Steve

[There's a link to 101cd from the web-site. From the main page, click on The Music, and then on Buy the Music. 101cd is near the bottom right. --BG]

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: Rezzonator@aol.com
Date sent: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:19:52 EST
Subject: Michael J McEvoy - news update

My new website is now up and running thanks to the skills of the most excellent Tony Campbell. Take a look at : www.rezzonator.com You’ll find lots of info on my past recordings and see what I’ve been up to in Nashville. A new page will be added soon showing my film and tv credits. So watch this space! You can also check out some of my other work at www.allmusic.com - a great site if you’re into the musical equivalent of trainspotting. If you just have to know who played on what, when and with whom, this is the place for you!

November and December will be spent producing the hit pop/Christian band Polarboy with Salvo (Paul Salveson). We send out congratulations to them for having the No.1 Christian rock single this week on the internet radio tracking site www.jamsline.com/chartrock.htm Video footage of our recording sessions will be available in December on the net at www.polarboy.net

I'll be playing keyboards and viola with Steve in his only UK date this year at the Shepherds Bush Empire in London on December 6th 1999. The band is well and truly kicking after our summer tour of US. Tickets are on sale now through www.ticketmaster.co.uk For friends outside the UK, this show will be filmed for a television special.

MP3.com: This revolutionary idea will change the way we access music forever. You can find a lot of very high quality, interesting music from all over the world... including mine! Artists can upload their music onto the web and it can be downloaded for free onto your computer. Just go to : http://www.mp3.com/MJMcEvoy to see my mp3 site and hear my music. If you need help downloading files have a look at http://help.mp3.com/ help/

Earlier this month, my track 'Shifting Stones' reached No. 8 in the Jazz Fusion chart and 'Ocean of You' No. 18. My new release is a Smooth Jazz track titled 'Keep It On' co-written by my brother Mark McEvoy - exclusive to mp3. I highly recommend a moment of meditation on some of Mark’s beautiful photographs at www.zabe.demon.co.uk/

An 8 track version of my solo album 'Night Sea Journeys' is also available to buy on CD from mp3 for only $8! Check out my favorite mp3 artist- a Russian guitarist called 'Igor Smirnoff' under JAZZ.

Attention Tennessee gardeners! Listen up for the new theme music I wrote for Nashville's PBS station, WDCN-TV8 for the popular weekly show 'Volunteer Gardener' - Thursdays 7:30pm and Sundays 9:30am.And look out for the cosmic Barefoot Farmer and his tips on organic gardening. Way to go!

Mike

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: Dawn koki9@bellatlantic.net
Subject: RE: Times of the day
Date sent: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:05:22 -0500

Re: Tony's post, last SP, about whether anyone associates Steve's songs with certain times of the day... I do. Some of them merely because the lyrics suggest a time of day, like "Night Train", or "Don't You Know What the Night Can Do", or my personal insomnia song from Traffic, "Evening Blue". And "While You See A Chance" is definitely morning music to me, probably because of the line, "Stand up in a clear blue morning." Come to think of it, day and night, light and dark, are very prevalent themes in his music.

Oh, and by the way, Tony, my good man? Can you take it easy on those of us with major eye strain, and avoid writing in all-caps? Many thanks! :-)

Take care,
Dawn

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Hisao Chida"
Subject: Laserdiscs for Sale
Date sent: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:48:25 +0900

I have two laserdiscs that includes three performances by SW:

Keep On Running - Spencer Davis Group (b&w)
Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush - Traffic (b&w)
Evening Blue - Traffic (color)

Other performances are:

Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Strange Blue - Cream, etc

Total: 33 tracks, 130 min.

If anyone is interested in obtaining them, please contact me!

Hisao

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "BobbieG."
Date sent: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 03:53:39 -0700
Subject: Lithos

We still have some Winwood 50th Birthday lithographs available for holiday gift-giving! Details are on the web-site (click on the big picture on the main page), or you could always email me. We want to close out this project by the end of February, so act now! :-)

From: "BobbieG."
Date sent: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:27:21 -0700
Subject: Volunteers needed, please

As I mentioned 1 or 2 issues ago, I will be transferring SP to an automated list around February 1. You can check it out at http://www.onelist.com/ Search on Winwood, and then click on "smiling-phases".

Meanwhile, I'd like some volunteers who would like to help me test the thing out. You would remain a member of this list, of course, just be on the OneList at the same time while we play around with it. Any takers? Email me!

Date sent: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:18:37 -0800 (PST)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: Rare WHO 12"/TOMMY CD

Title: TOMMY LSO & CHOIR OOP CD. THE WHO/STEVE WINWOOD (traffic)/RINGO STARR (beatles) Auction ID: 1128B394572

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=209816241
Title of item: PETE TOWNSHEND/THE WHO EMINENCE FRONT 12" OOP

Thxs Jay

End of Smiling Phases, volume 173