From: "BobbieG."
Date sent: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:57:56 -0700
Subject: Discography Updates and Blind Faith

If you haven't checked the SP web-site lately, please be sure to look at Jan's updates to the Complete Discography pages - many releases were added! I know he's always looking for more information, so if you have anything that's not listed there, email him at jan.inge.sommerseth@nrk.no

Also, I hear from industry sources that the new Blind Faith release is "postponed, probably next year" with no further explanation. :-( As always, I'll let you know when/if I hear =anything=.

Date sent: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 01:48:03 -0400
From: Tony Dalessio
Subject: CD-R trades?

Does anyone trade in CD-R? I'm new to the list and am looking to expand my very limited SW collection. I'm looking for shows from any of his bands or solo work. My list can be found at: http://www.bluemoon.net/~apd/list.html , and I am always willing to do a blanks plus postage on a few discs for others who are just starting their collections.

Thanks.
Tony

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: George Harrison, New tracks
Date sent: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:08:10 -0400

Berkin, it's great to hear from you, and I'm glad you're doing well!

Berkin asked how many George Harrison albums Steve played on. Steve is credited with playing on George's self-titled 1979 album, as we've long known, and tracks from that release also appear on George's Best Of Dark Horse compilation. Recently, I've seen several secondary references to Steve playing on other George albums, but so far they all appear to be incorrect. Very confusing, though!

Like many other Traffic fans, I'm very excited about the new re-masters being released in the UK with bonus tracks. The title of the new song on JBMD, "Sitting Here Thinking Of My Love", rang a bell. Sure enough, this is one of the unreleased songs we talked about some time ago! The BMI site lists it as written by Steve and Jim, but the title immediately reminds Steve fans of the SDG tune "Sittin' & Thinkin'". Can't wait to hear this "new" old Traffic material...

Subject: Re: Traffic re-masters
From: Paul Minkkinen
Date sent: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:47:13 +0100

Mr fantasy has in fact got 22 tracks and runs for 73 minutes, UK stereo album & US mono version make up the running time. managed to get a promo CDR. As mentioned Barleycorn is the jewel in the crown. Next CR due in about 10 days, includes an interview with Tim Chacksfield who co.ordinated the remasters.

Cheers Paul minkkinen

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: DocMajic@aol.com
Date sent: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:32:19 EDT
Subject: South African jazz fusion group

I still haven't found out who the group is that toured with Steve around 1990 or 1991. They were a South African jazz fusion group who did political music. The single they opened up with was called "Bolingo," which I loved. I had a copy of this single on a giveaway CD and it got stolen with my car CD player. I never did find there album. Now I can't remember the album. They were excellent musicians--in Steve's caliber.

Dr. Larry Barnes

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date sent: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:03:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: ANDREA DYCHE
Subject: We Just Disagree cover

Do you know if anyone has ever covered "We Just Disagree"?? One of my roommates thinks she heard a country version of it.

andrea

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date sent: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:47:23 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Winwood is everywhere, sort of...

Saw a Nissan commercial wherein the music (as far as I could tell) was an instrumental version of "Feelin' Alright?", with the title phrase sung once. It seemed to be based more on Joe Cocker's remake than the original Traffic version, but oh well. Has anyone else seen/heard this?

[Ted, yes, I saw it and it's on the web-site at http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/films.htm#tv You're right, it sounds =much= more like Cocker than Traffic. Just last week I heard another SW song, used in an ad for a movie, but I can't remember which movie or which song. I should have written it down at the time! If anyone knows, tell us, it's driving me crazy. --BG]

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date sent: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:58:45 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Traffic Remasters

Thanks to Mike for putting the track listings for the Remasters out there. The big question on my mind (and probably a lot of other people's minds) is, where and when will these be available??!?

MR. FANTASY's track listing isn't too surprising -- basically, a long overdue combination of the UK & US versions' tracks. The inclusion of "We're A Fade" seems kind of strange, though... does that mean they used the short version of "Paper Sun"? Well, I guess that'll work for those who want to be able to program the tracks in "US version" order. (I personally am very partial to the "unbroken" Paper Sun.) Maybe they should have included an extra track consisting of the in-between-songs HWGRTMB "snippet". (Programming your CD player for the US version: Track 11 - Paper Sun... Track 15 - snippet... Track 6 - Dealer... Track 15 - snippet...)

The extra tracks on TRAFFIC seem a little strangely picked -- all taken from two other readily available CDs?? Could any of these be live versions, perchance??

The extra tracks on JOHN BARLEYCORN are the ones that really get my attention. It's obvious the last ones are live but it'll be interesting to find out the "when" on those (notice that these are the same songs that opened the lost "Live 1970" album). And just what might "Sittin' Here Thinkin'" be? (Ain't never heard of it m'self).

Waiting with bated breath to hear more,
T.

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "Donald Coker"
Subject: old concerts
Date sent: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:49:35 -0400

How can I get info from someone that might have seen a show at the boston teaparty on berkeley st.the thursday british invasion shows they had in 67 or 68 not sure?It was the first tour without mason of course and there were only about 200 people there.Basicly I'm trying to find out what the instrumental they opened the show with is and I know they played mostly mr. fantasy stuff plus feeling good and blindman but I think they might of played 40,000 headmen during the show.

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date sent: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:45:00 EDT

The 3 Traffic CDs were NOT released yesterday!!

MR FANTASY: Heaven Is In Your Mind, Berkshire Poppies, House for Everyone, No Face, No Name, No Number, Dear Mr Fantasy, Dealer, Utterly Simple, Coloured Rain, Hope I Never Find Me There, Giving To You, bonus tracks (all mono versions): Heaven is in your mind, Berkshire poppies, House for everyone, No face no name no number, Dear Mr Fantasy, Dealer, Coloured rain, Giving to you, Paper sun, Hole in my shoe, Smiling phases, We're a fade you missed this.

TRAFFIC: You Can All Join In, Pearly Queen, Don't Be Sad, Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring, Feelin' Alright, Vagabond Virgin, Forty Thousand Headmen, Cryin' To Be Heard, No Time To Live, Means To an End bonus tracks:Here we go round the mulberry bush, Am I what was of am I what I am, Withering tree, Medicated goo, Shanghai noodle factory

JOHN BARLEYCORN MUST DIE: Glad, Freedom Rider, Empty Pages, Stranger To Himself, John Barleycorn, Every Mother's Son bonus tracks:Glad (live), I just want you to know (new track), Sittin' here thinkin' of my love (previously unreleased) , Who knows what tomorrow may bring (live),

I just spoke to Island Records in London who say that "they should be out" and will ring me back!

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date sent: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:50:19 +0200
From: Tatiana Burguete
Subject: Chicago concert

It was an excellent show-like always. Steve was simply outstanding. We came all the way from Frankfurt,Germany to see him in Chicago. We were missing some "Far fom Home "-songs, our favourite album. Come on Steve, go back to the Traffic-roots! Both of us enjoyed the nite so much. Hopefully we`ll get a chance to see him in Europe soon. By the way Spencer Davis and band are touring Germany right now.

Let`s keep on running Tatiana & Gunter

Subject: Steve's New CD
Date sent: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 06:49:46 -0500

AM WRITING TO LET YOU KNOW I GOT STEVE'S MILLENNIUM CD AND ALTHOUGH I HAD ALL THE SONGS BEFORE, IT WAS JUST NICE TO BUY A NEW WINWOOD CD. TONY

End of Smiling Phases, volume 171