From: Tony.Gregory@albirm.ang.af.mil
Subject: Atlanta concert
Date sent: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:06:40 -0500

I MADE IT TO THE SEP 11 CONCERT IN ATLANTA. THE CHASTAIN AMPHITHEATER IS BEAUTIFUL. STEVE PLAYED EXACTLY WHAT YOUR PLAYLIST STATED. HE WAS VERY ENTHUSIASTIC AND EXUDED ENERGY. MY WIFE WENT WITH ME AND SHE IS NOW A FAN. SHE SAID HE SOUNDED EXACTLY LIKE HE DID ON THE CD OR RADIO. I WAS LOVING EVERY MINUTE. THE CROWD REALLY SHOWED STEVE WE LOVE AND APPRECIATED HIM. I BELIEVE THE ONLY REASON HE STOPPED PLAYING WAS TO GIVE THE MUSICIANS A REST, HE LOOKED LIKED HE COULD HAVE PLAYED FOR FOUR MORE HOURS. IT WAS A MAGIC AND "VALID" CONCERT AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM AGAIN. THE PROGRAM SAID NOBODY DOES IT BETTER AND I HAVE TO AGREE. TONY

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: Jmadshadow@aol.com
Date sent: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:52:13 EDT
Subject: The Big Hello

I was at not only the Atlantic City show, but the final two New Orleans shows. All were spectacular, but the final show was really something special. Maybe because it was the final show, or maybe they were recording it for something (there was a woman there that night with a professional grade video camera), but it was better than the other shows. Steve really sang his heart out and didn't miss a cue. There was even a bit of reverb on his mic that wasn't there before. I'm thinking LIVE ALBUM.

Then came the BIG part....

After the show, I was having a drink at the bar with some new friends and the curtain leading to the night club area opened to our side. Steve's band started walking through (on their way to the private party in the back). I spoke with the trumpet player, Alex Norris (?). I asked him what was next for Steve. He said, "He wants to tour next year." I responded, "With new material?" He said, "Yeah, he wants to do a new album." He was very nice about it all and made his way on.

THEN the curtain behind him opened. STEVE WINWOOD came walking through!!!!!

I immediately put my hand out and told him he was my very favorite and that I always eagerly await everything he puts out, yada yada. He said, "Thank you very much" and I don't quite remember the rest. A woman that I had met named Monica and her husband were hanging out with me at the time. She was from England. Steve's neck of the woods, in fact. They chatted for a bit more about the homeland and then he moved on. Steve was a gentleman and very friendly.

--John

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "BobbieG."
Date sent: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:33:50 -0700
Subject: Dates for re-releases

My latest information is that the Traffic re-releases will definitely be out in the UK on October 25, and the Blind Faith re-release has been delayed until November 2. More information as I hear.

From: Tony.Gregory@albirm.ang.af.mil
Subject: BAD STEVE REVIEWS
Date sent: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:42:01 -0500

MY OPINION IS BAD REVIEWS ARE NEGATIVE ENERGY. I HAVE ONLY SEEN STEVE TWICE BUT BOTH TIMES, HE WAS FLAWLESS AND ALMOST MAGICAL IN PERFORMING HIS MUSIC. I GUESS I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT I WAS JUST GRATEFUL THE MAN CAME OUT ON TOUR. I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT THE OLD SAYING, EVERYONE IS A CRITIC SOMETIMES APPLIES, BUT I PLAN ON GOING TO SEE STEVE EVEN IF HE STARTS DOING PEPSI JINGLES.I REALLY LOVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND KEEP IT UP. I ACTUALLY LOOK FORWARD TO E-MAIL NOW. TONY

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date sent: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 01:20:17 -0400
From: "Pharmer's Almanac"
Subject: Re: Phish

The only thing I do know about the Winwood/Trey duet is that it was in Burlington, VT, and something is telling me they did "Low Spark" and one other tune..but I don't know for sure.

Kevin

PS, It might also be interesting to note that the first song Trey Anastasio of Phish ever played with a rock band (10th grade) was Low Spark.

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Timothy Arthur"
Subject: Our 20th Century Master
Date sent: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:35:44 -0700

Just checked out CD Now, Steve's 20th century master CD and tape is availiable now on advance orders. Prices are good, $9.99 for the CD I think. I paid $12.99 for my 20th Cen. Master Lynyrd Skynyrd CD at Wal-Mart. Lani

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date sent: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:08:18 -0400
From: "Jonathan C. Puth"
Subject: Concert questions - 1971-72

My first ever concert when I was just 12 or 13 was Traffic, opened by Edgar Winter & White Trash, I don't know whether it was '71 pre-Low Spark release or post-release in early '72, and I want to know. The location was the Civic Arena, Pittsburgh PA. There was open seating (no chairs) on the floor and my friend and I worked our way up front. (The buzz on Edgar Winter prior to the show was "that's Johnny Winter's little brother" -- he was only getting minimal FM play at the time, and this was before Frankenstein and Rock 'n roll Hoochie Coo. Edgar Winter's White Trash opening was exceptional -- the musicianship and large band was impressive and people were generally blown away, particularly by Edgar's abilities.)

But that was nothing compared to Traffic. Although long ago, I recall that they were clean as a whistle. I recall Rock and Roll Stew like it was yesterday -- it was done as clean as the original. I also remember Low Spark, Mr. Fantasy, Many a Mile to Freedom, Glad / Freedom Rider, Light Up or Leave Me Alone, John Barleycorn. . . It's incredible to me that these memories are as vivid as they are given my youth at the time and the nearly 30 intervening years -- I think that's probably a testament to the strength of the show. Chris Wood was a stand out; Reebop a memorable personality. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHEN WAS THIS SHOW, EXACTLY?

Thanks, Jona.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: molinel@attglobal.net
Date sent: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 11:57:10 -0400
Subject: Back in the high life Tour

I am looking for any video footage of Steve Winwood's "Back in the high life tour" .Especailly the concert video clip for the song The Finer Things. I have been looking for this stuff for a long time.Please let me know if you have any video footage from this tour.

Thankyou, Craig Molinelli

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date sent: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 13:57:46 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Winwood stuff & Capaldi stuff

Soliciting people's thoughts & opinions once again...

(1) After being a Traffic fan for many years, I'm just recently paying more attention to Steve's solo stuff. Here's a little poll I'd like to throw out there: How would you rank Steve's 7 albums, from your favorite to least favorite?

(2) I would also like to get people's informed opinions on the various Jim Capaldi albums. I've checked out a few of them, but each time I've been frustrated by the contrast between Jim's potential as heard in one or two songs and his failure to fulfill it throughout the rest of the album. For example, "Whale Meat Again" -- nowhere else have I ever heard such a great opening track (It's Alright) followed by such a disappointing rest-of-the-album. Does Jim have one or two more consistently good albums out there that I just haven't heard yet? ("Some Come Running" almost did it for me, but not quite -- partially because of the inevitable "macho" piece, "Take Me Home".)

(3) Speaking of Jim's "It's Alright", can someone point me to where I can get a copy of that single?

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: Shaft51@aol.com
Date sent: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 18:36:03 EDT
Subject: Pete Townsend lyrics

Haven't written in a while, but I have been a bit busy. I got married this past weekend, and I was very happy to have had my first dance with my wife be to "Back in the High Life Again." It's always been a special song to me.

Anyway, I am hoping that the collective knowledge warehouses of SP can be of some help to me on a quasi-Steve Winwood related topic. It's about Pete Townsend (if you want to do that Six Degrees to Kevin Bacon thing, they both played on Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert, right?). My question is this: about 10 years ago, Pete released a rock opera called "The Iron Man," which contained the wonderful song "A Friend is a Friend." Sadly, I can't quite make out some of the lyrics and I would like to be able to quote them in a toast I have to give as best man next summer. Any idea where I might be able to track down these lyrics? My thanks in advance!

Chuck

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date sent: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 06:10:43 +0930
From: dkelly
Subject: Go Live

Gidday From DownUnder From a Lurker
Last week while interstate I located 2nd hand what I assume is a boot.

Stomu Yamashta's GO "Live" Kiss No.12
(Recorded Live In Europe 1976)

It is quite different from the "Live In Paris" double LP. The versions of song are quite different, though presumably from the same tour.

Could someone confirm that this CD is a boot? If so potentially copyable.

Other than the two tracks on the SW box set, is there other GO material available on CD ? Does anyone know any recording history for this CD and why the versions of songs are so different yet come from the same era?

Thanks

dAVE

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
Date sent: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 06:25:09 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Winwood is everywhere...

Last night I heard some of a "Muzak" version of "Can't Find My Way Home" while on hold -- melody line carried by a flute.

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13
From: "BobbieG."
Date sent: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:49:42 -0700
Subject: Off Topic

I have a couple things to tell you, which are mostly off-topic. ;-)

1) My apologies for not sending SP before I left on my trip last week, as I had promised several of you that I would. Things just got away from me again.

2) I have started working on a new web-site (not Winwood related), and my Winwood-time will be limited for the next couple of weeks, maybe as long as a month, while I get it up and running. I will continue to send SP as usual, but don't look for many web-site updates. Lucky for me, it seems to be a slow time in Winwood-news anyway. ;-)

3) I am thinking of transferring SP to the automated OneList mailing list site about the beginning of the new year. If you get a chance, please check it out at www.onelist.com and let me know what you think. I belong to 2 mailing list administered by OneList and have had very good luck with both of them.

4) My trip to Colorado Springs for the Annual General Meeting of the Jane Austen Society of North America was wonderful; thank you to everyone who asked me about it! (Personal note to Keith: yes, I =did= meet your sister Nili and had several nice chats with her. I will email her later this week.)

5) Last spring I was interviewed for McCalls magazine. A very short excerpt from that interview will appear in the November issue, with Michelle Pfeiffer on the cover. I'm on p. 62, in the bottom right corner. The magazine appears in the US, but I have no clue if it appears anyway else; or if it does, if it's the same content.

6) Email disaster!! When I checked email yesterday, a software hiccup caused me to lose about 60 of the 250 emails that were sent to me over the weekend while I was away. If you sent me an email and I have not yet answered you, please re-send! I may have lost it! Thanks.

Bobbie

End of Smiling Phases, volume 169