From: "lani arthur"
Subject: Concert observations
Date sent: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:31:29 PDT

Thought you would be interested in another of Tim's observations about the concert...didn't have time to tell you about it last night. Tim thinks Steve is compulsive/obsessive cause he knew where his bottle of water was every time, Steve even put it on the floor next to his left foot and never knocked it over. Also, he thinks that the young sax player will not last with the group....he gets to much attention from the women.:-) Steve would be jealous! I DON'T THINK SO!! Tim said Steve was a good looking man....and who is jealous?!

Lani

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: SP 166/live album/video
Date sent: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:19:58 PDT

It was great reading all the concert reviews from our SP vol. 166. I whole-heartedly agree with, Dialictic, Koki/Dawn and Dawn about this concert recorded as a live album/video. In fact I did see a woman doing some video recording of the concert in Orlando, my husband and I did get to speak with her in the parking lot. And now I could just kick myself for not asking her if she was taping for a video. People you've got to understand....I was on cloud nine! Didn't want to come home to face preparing for a hurricane...tried to convince Tim to go to New Orleans!

Koki Dawn's post about Steve being lost in the mandolin on BITHL and the big grins he gave to the band members brought back the same memories of my concert. And Dawn I agree, I'd love to see Steve do CFMWH on an acoustic guitar....in fact I'd love to see him do an unplugged album! I think 40,000 Headmen would be great on an unplugged album....it did lack a little something at the concert....but sure was happy to see him sing it and Empty Pages!

After seeing and being so close to Steve when he sang While You See A Chance I would now list that as my second favorite song...moving RWI. Yes, it did bring tears to my eyes too....the man to my left was also affected, I could tell by the crack in his voice as he told me it was one of his favorites!

Lani

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "Wagner, Jim"
Subject: Keep Smiling :)
Date sent: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:55:53 -0400

I was on vacation in Orlando, FL and was able to attend the September 12th show at the House of Blues. I left on Monday before things got crazy with Hurricane Floyd. My vacation was over! :(

Anyway, the show was fantastic! As was previously mentioned, the show was similar to the 1997 concerts. I was able to see Steve in Pittsburgh and Cleveland during the J7 shows, and both shows were great. However, the HOB show was even better! The band was tighter, and Steve was really enjoying the music and the audience. Arc of A Diver was a welcome surprise. Steve played extraordinary guitar solos on While You See A Chance and Dear Mr. Fantasy. The end of Glad featured a Latin flavored ending with Emma and Valerie singing "I'm So Glad." While the vocals didn't really add to the song, they provided a nice change. Most of crowd got lost during "40,000 Headmen," but I would rather hear a Traffic classic than "Family Affair." Steve really seems to be quite taken with Latin music. It's a shame that "Got To Get Back To My Baby" was never released as a single, especially considering the success of Carlos Santana's "Smooth" and Latin inspired music in general.

Although I loved the guitar solos, I hope that Steve will someday return to playing some synth solos. He really has a one-of-a-kind synth "voice" and style. But more than that, I hope that some label picks him up quickly. He is just too talented to be without a record label at this point of his career. I would also love to hear a new Traffic record with Steve and Jim in a band setting.

I am all for a music video collection, a live concert cd and video and VH1 features. Fellow SPers, how do we make this happen?

For fellow musicians, Warner Brothers Publications will soon be releasing "Classic Steve Winwood" that features guitar transcriptions of Spencer Davis, Blind Faith, Traffic and solo songs. This book has been delayed, but it is finally listed in their new catalog.

Jim

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: Shawn Walsh
Subject: VH1
Date sent: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:18:51 -0700

I was literally halfway through #166 when #167 popped up on my screen so I just continued the Winwood Love Feast. I 100% agree about the VH-1 idea. Last night after a special about the re-release of 'Yellow Submarine' VH-1 ran a promo for a 'Behind The Music' featuring. . . . . . .Vanilla Ice. Hey, the guy's had hard times and is probably finding a way to survive and all but I can probably name 25 artists off the top of my head who they should profile well ahead of this 'performer.' Of course, BTM has become a confessional program who's only theme is: artist struggles to success, is stupid and gets screwed, loses money along with band member and/or family, goes through some form of detox/therapy, is now poised for comeback a sadder but wiser person. GIVE ME A BREAK! How about a show that spotlights, oh I don't know, maybe MUSIC!!!! Like how a band/artist came to a certain style or point of view and developed that, or the evolution of a band from their start to where they are now. Yes, the individual stories are interesting, to a point. When it turns into an Oprah episode, I'm outta there. It's not that I'm unsympathetic to someone's misfortune, I'm just tired of it turning into some kind of rock and roll soap opera, and with bit players at that. Yes, Shawn is ranting and having a hard time stopping but I think everyone at this weekend's gathering will only echo my belief. Either a BTM or 'Legends' program on Steve is long overdue. Unfortunately I still haven't read the lovely book you gave me last Spring (I'm out of my biographies mode for reading at the moment but will be again later) but I doubt Steve has had the personal demons/addictions to deal with like Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughn or Keith Moon, etc, BUT, a ton of legendary recordings for 30+ years. Come on VH-1, what's it take????????????? How about a sustained success story for contrast? Is it so boring to profile a person with great creative success who didn't throw away his money, is happily married, has a family and NOT bitter about his years in the business?

Okay ................... cleansing breath .................................................. that's better.

-Shawn

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date sent: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:53:24 -0400
From: Karen Robinson
Subject: Concert in Atlantic City, NJ

Just wanted to let you know the concert was GREAT!!!!! Even after all the problems we encountered from Atlantic City! Steve and the band were wonderful as usual, he is amazing how much he loves music.... We were watching him play the piano and underneath you could see his legs going back and forth to the beat of the music. I said to my husband "You tell he really hates his job" he just lets that enthusiasm flow out the band and audience :0) We spoke to the road crew after the concert, we tried to meet Steve but that was not in plans.:0( Anyhow, the road crew were extremely nice and they told us the tour manager whom we did not meet was one of nicest they've ever worked with. Unfortunately, I don't know who that is but thought I would rely the message back to you. You do not hear that type of news everyday. Thanks, Karen ;')

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date sent: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 05:34:14 -0400
From: "Pharmer's Almanac"
Subject: Help!

Hello, my name is Kevin Cassels and I am the editor of the Pharmer's Almanac: The Unofficial Guide to Phish

I am currently compiling a database of other artists in which Phish have guested..

Sometime in 1997, Phish leader Trey Anastasio joined Steve Winwood on stage for a few songs.

I was wondering if you knew when and where this was and what songs they played.. or perhaps you could point me in the direction of someone who knows...

Thank you so much,
Kevin

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: Vol. 3 ha ha ha
Date sent: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 09:48:17 PDT

Hi, I know I'm bending your ear (eyes?) but had to tell you these side points. I know it was a looooog story.... and not much on the 'technical side' of the concert. One of the infamous 7 was behind me, the other drunk friends of his kept motioning him to come up to the front too....I gave him the "death look" I give my kids (or Tim) when they are in deep trouble. So he says to me ok, ok I'm not moving!:-) Also one of the drunks bumped into one poor guy and spilled his beer all over the place. So the drunk pulled of his wet shirt and waved it around and hit the kid to my right in the face! I felt like a MaMa Bear and wanted to take off the shoes that were killing my feet and hit these men in the head! The kid got him back....he cheered and yelled and whistled =very loudly= right in the back of this drunk, into his ear. I had to push one of the drunks off me several times he kept losing his balance, wished I had pushed harder. And when I clapped I just happened to get the girl drunks hair in my clapping, that kept them away from me. I am so glad they did not mess up While You See A Chance, it really was wonderful, they had not come up yet. I have a problem with the fact we were in line from about 5:30 till the doors opened at 7:15 and all this time people in line were drinking. Then the concert didn't start till 8:30 and they drank all during the concert. No wonder these people acted the way they did. Also one guy behind Tim upstairs booed during one song only....wonder what that was all about?! And Tim couldn't remember which one it was. He thought Steve was great on guitar. When Steve bent over to touch hands with the crowd the drunks were in my way, and I'm about the same height as Bobbie! Oh well. I got to see Steve UP CLOSE and it was great.

Lani

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Kimberly Barsana"
Subject: New Orleans gigs
Date sent: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:40:32 CDT

Both nights went down a storm!! I'm not 100% sure, but i think both gigs here were sold out. Of course. (just as it was in 97). Both gigs were heavily promoted by local classic rock station WRNO.

The set lists were pretty much the same as what others have posted, but, to the best of my recollection, 40,000 was not included on the first night, but it was on the second.

The second night was a bit hotter, as expected on the last night of the tour. The crowd was even better. Steve said a few extra special thank you's to the band and crew. And, he also said that New Orleans was a great place to end the tour. The band was quite relaxed..and there was a lot of chit chat and joking going on among them while on stage. They all really seemed to be enjoying themselves. I even briefly met a young man who came from Germany to see the gigs. (A man after my own heart...as I've traveled a bit my self for a decent gig or two....all across America in fact and over to London 4 years in a row for gigs).

---Kimberly

End of Smiling Phases, volume 168