From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date sent: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:40:53 EDT
Subject: gathering this weekend

Just a reminder that the second SW gathering is this weekend so please let Bobbie or me know if you can be there. Late word is that Spencer might not be with the band this time due to a prior comittment but we will still see the World Class Rockers anyway.

Craig

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: Behind The Music & Hard Rock Cafe
Date sent: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:30:35 PDT

I'm afraid my post dated Sept. 5th may have been confusing.....on the subject I put HOB and it should have been the Hard Rock Cafe. They give a 10% discount at the gift shop, drinks and restaurant if you show your AAA card.

Also I agree with Jason (vol.165) about VH1 and Behind The Music and the Legends show. I have always thought it would be great to see Blind Faith AND Traffic on that Behind the Music show....and Steve most definitely on the Legends show!! I was reluctant to send in a post about it cause thought this has probably been discussed before I was aware of SP.

Lani

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: RKrell1021@aol.com
Date sent: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:33:35 EDT
Subject: Atlantic City concert

I went to Steve's concert @ Trump Marina in Atlantic City New Jersey and it did not start until 10:30 pm. Anyways the show was soldout. I was really surprised. I sat next to two people who had attended his concert in Philadelphia a couple of years ago. They loved this concert and the last one in Philadelphia. I really enjoyed the show and the acoustics were great in this room! Steve seemed to enjoy himself too! He gave of himself 100%! I was disappointed I was not able to take pictures or buy any tapes or cds. He played Back In the High Life, Freedom OverSpill, etc.

Rochelle

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "'bobbieg@azstarnet.com'"
Subject: RE: New releases
Date sent: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:13:50 -0700

I've heard from the good people at Universal who say:

"Our release schedule is JAMMED!!!!! We're trying to get as many things together (properly) and ready for release. As of now, the Blind Faith reissue has moved to release date 11/2.

The Best Of Steve Winwood Features His Early Hits With The Legendary Spencer Davis Group, Traffic And Blind Faith

It's rare enough when an artist has success in one group and then has equal or greater success in the solo spotlight. It is staggering to consider that Steve Winwood was in three legendary bands before his solo triumphs. On The Best Of Steve Winwood edition of 20th Century Masters/The Millennium Collection (Island/UMG), released October 19, 1999, the finest moments from Winwood's early years with The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic and Blind Faith are collected on one album. Each of the 11 selections was remastered from original tapes for optimal sound. Leading off The Best Of Steve Winwood are The Spencer Davis Group's two 1967 U.S. Top 10 hits, "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "I'm A Man." Singer-songwriter-keyboardist Winwood had joined the band with his older brother, bassist Muff, when he was just 15 years old. He was still a teenager when his ferocious soul-drenched voice powered those timeless classics. Also heard singing on those tracks are multi-instrumentalists Dave Mason and Chris Wood, and drummer Jim Capaldi, all of whom then went with Winwood to form Traffic in late 1967. Their debut album that year, Mr. Fantasy, which included "Paper Sun" and "Dear Mr. Fantasy," continued Winwood's R&B-based rock. But what set Traffic apart was its knack for seamlessly blending everything from psychedelia to English folk and still remaining essentially pop: Witness 1968's Traffic with "Pearly Queen" and the anthemic "Forty Thousand Headmen." In 1969, Winwood stopped Traffic to join the supergroup Blind Faith, with ex-Cream members Eric Clapton on guitar and Ginger Baker on drums, and Rick Grech of the popular U.K. group Family on bass. That summer, Blind Faith debuted with a concert before 100,000 people in London's Hyde Park and arrived in the U.S. selling out Madison Square Garden. But its platinum eponymous album that year turned out to be its last. Still, Winwood's "Had To Cry Today" and his plaintive "Can't Find My Way Home" are among the great blues rockers of the era. With Blind Faith disbanded, Winwood restarted Traffic the next year, though without Mason. The result was 1970's earthier John Barleycorn Must Die (gold, #5), with "Empty Pages" and "John Barleycorn." A new lineup was then formed for 1971's spacier The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys (platinum, #7), whose title cut became an FM rock radio standard. Gold albums followed but Traffic came to an end in 1974 (though there would be a brief mid-'90s reunion). Winwood went solo and scored with major platinum albums and #1 hits from the late '70s through the '80s. But it all began here, with the songs on The Best Of Steve Winwood. The series 20th Century Masters/The Millennium Collection features new "best of" albums from the most significant music artists of the past century. "

That's what they say, anyway. :-)

Bobbie

End of Smiling Phases, volume 167