From: "lani arthur"
Subject: stuff
Date sent: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:46:48 PDT

Thanks for the info about the live broadcast tomorrow night. We have a retirement party tomorrow night and have to drop in on a bridal shower tomorrow night. You know I'll be in a big hurry to get home!

Also, know what you mean about the new "Winwood" release...they should have added a few solo's like RWI or While You See A Chance or High Life! Maybe the record co. is trying to cash in on this '60's'thing? But I'll still get it....then I won't have to carry several CD's with me in the car. They all don't fit in my purse and I won't leave Steve in the hot car!! Who knows, maybe it will be a big seller?!

Wasn't that funny the comment Steve (forgot his last name) about these concerts being J7II....like the "Wrath of J7" that cracked me up!! What a funny bunch of fans.

Lani

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: dlowe@mhs.ccps.ga.net
Subject: Chastain
Date sent: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 07:13:28 -0400

I am disappointed to see Steve's set list. I have heard the same concert for two summers running in Atlanta at Chastain. Chastain is a strange venue, tucked in a very expensive neighborhood, originally for the Atlanta Symphony years ago. It has become an exclusive dinner/concert venue with much space taken up by tables purchased year after year by corporations like Coke. It is a season ticket set-up so we average folks only get seats at all by buying poorer seats and moving when the rich clients don't show. Chastain is also open air except the stage - we sit in rain as often as not. I am not going this year. I just can't get up the enthusiasm. I hate to see Steve turn into a dinner entertainment act. I have not even been listening to Steve all summer. Back to Clapton, Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, Garth Brooks, Beausoleil, Lucinda Williams, Patty Loveless, Diamond Rio (at the moment) and mostly, classical music and the Star Wars soundtrack. Sometimes one just needs more Bach!

Deb Lowe

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: Re: Oct 19 release
Date sent: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 17:55:27 PDT

Hey, Bobbie,

At least someone besides 'us' acknowledges Steve as a 20th century master!!

Lani

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date sent: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:09:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: ANDREA DYCHE
Subject: New Mason recording

I pulled this off of the Village Records website (www.villagerecords.com) Have you seen a track listing yet??

Dave Mason
Ultimate Collection

Heres a great collection from an overlooked artist. Nineteen cuts from his days with Traffic through his solo years right up to We Just Disagree. Hes had a lot of albums on a lot of labels so its nice to get something like this to spin. Not a guilty pleasure, a pleasure to listen to. Hip-O $14.99 Shipping September 21st

thanks,
andrea

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date sent: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 19:08:51 -0600
From: Jason Nickerson
Subject: VH1

Has anybody noticed VH1's lineup of artist/band profile shows "Behind The Music" & "Legends"? I happened to notice "Poison" as one of the profile bands on "Behind the Music" for Pete's sake! Arguably not as high profile as "Steve Winwood" (hope I didn't offend any "Poison" fans :-) ). I have been keeping tabs on these shows pretty regularly, and no "Steve Winwood" profile.

I wish to appeal to VH1 for a "Steve Winwood" profile on at least "Behind The Music" but more deservedly on "Legends".

Maybe VH1 is the wrong network. A&E does a few profiles of artists/bands also...

I'm sure that some of you have more experience with this than I do, but is there a way to send a message (e-mail or otherwise) to show support for a "Steve Winwood" profile and be noticed?

Would there be any "Smiling Phases"rs who want to pursue this further or am I missing something...

Heck, for that matter, implore somebody to come up with a Steve Winwood "Video". It never ceases to amaze me the other bands that have music videos! The only thing I can think of is that the powers that be believe that a Steve Winwood "Video" wouldn't do very well in the market place. Whatever.

Isn't there someway to mobilize a movement to open the eyes of the music/music video industry?

You'd think that at least earning "Record of the Year" and "Best Male Vocalist" at the Grammies would earn him top billing on "Legends"!

If this has already been hashed and rehashed in this forum before, I apologize. Heck, maybe I missed the "Legends" show featuring Steve Winwood. Let me know! :-)

Phew...!

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: Sgldavis@aol.com
Date sent: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 14:44:10 EDT
Subject: Portland concert

Just wanted to let you know that we went to the concert last night in the Washington Park Rose Garden in Portland, OR and it was GREAT! Stevie sounded better than ever and he looked pretty good too. It was a wonderful venue, as it was outdoors on a beautiful night. We were able to walk right up to the stage. He did a good selection of songs from Spencer Davis days (opened with I'm a Man and closed with Gimme Some Lovin' as an encore); Blind Faith; some Traffic; and most post-Traffic. He's on his way to Seattle tonight, so I'm sure they will love him there too.

I'm so glad I finally got to see him live. I've been a fan for about 30 years so it was a real thrill for me.

Gabriela

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: HOB discount
Date sent: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 09:45:21 PDT

If you belong to AAA you get a discount at the Hard Rock cafe's gift shop.

Lani

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date sent: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:12:36 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Missing "!" - followup

I looked at a "burlap" copy of JOHN BARLEYCORN MUST DIE and found that the "!" appears on the spine. See, I knew I wasn't losing my mind.

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date sent: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:13:33 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: "Reviews" links

I recently checked out some of the Album Reviews on the SP site and was surprised by the Traffic reviews from George Starostin. Why do you have links to such a Traffic-hater? Is this to give all opinions a fair airing?

Ted

[Yeah, pretty much. What does everyone else think? Should I remove the bad reviews? --BG]

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date sent: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:18:47 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Refugees Of The Heart

Based on the recommendations of various SPers, I picked up REFUGEES (along with the "One & Only Man" single with "Always", apparently a lost REFUGEES track, on the flip). Have listened once so far. Perhaps not the most involving SW album, and I wouldn't really call it Traffic-like (although parts of it could be accused of resembling FAR FROM HOME-era Traffic), but I enjoyed it. I can see why "In The Light Of Day" is so well-liked. (Does that anticipate "Far From Home" or what? And check out our man's vibes solo -- yet another instrument, eh?) Strangely, though, one of the tracks I liked best turns out to be the least liked among SPers - "Running On". I could ask why, but I won't...

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Peter Green cover
Date sent: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:36:56 -0400

Received this note from Berkin, who asked me to pass it along for SP. I believe he's referring to the Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac, who has an official site at www.petergreen.com.

Steve

From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Paper Sun / Giving To You single

Several SPs ago I asked for leads on a copy of "Paper Sun" with the vocal "Giving To You" on the flip. For some strange reason, all the copies I found offered for sale were in Scandinavian countries (besides one very overpriced copy in some other part of Europe). I bought one from fellow SPer Thore in Norway (a U.S. copy -- how it ended up in Norway I didn't ask). I found it interesting that the artist's name was given as "TRAFFIC featuring Stevie Winwood" and that both songs were credited ("P.S." incorrectly) to Winwood / Capaldi / Mason / Wood.

Having now heard the "vocal" GTY, I have to say that the description of it in the SP Traffic Compendium is somewhat misleading. There is some difference between the instrumental track on the single and the one on the album -- most noticeably on the flute choruses -- but my contention is that they are 2 different mixes rather than 2 takes. They're way too similar to be 2 different Traffic (of all bands) takes! Besides the mix the only difference is in the presence of singing at the beginning and the absence of (Chris'?) jive talk. The singing lasts all of 15 seconds, with a more stereotypically '60s melody than you'd associate with Traffic. (At least the lyrics explain the title -- I always wondered why that instrumental/jive talk piece was called "Giving To You".)

Whether this track is worth tracking down or not depends on your level of Traffic completism. Personally, I think I'll draw the line here and not go hunting for the original mono MR. F. with the different GTY jive talk & HIIYM guitar solo.

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13
From: dlowe@mhs.ccps.ga.net
Subject: Atlanta radio
Date sent: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:42:45 -0400

A quick note to let you know that at least this year, the local "classic rock" station (whatever that means) is giving away tickets for Steve's Saturday show here in Atlanta. They will also feature him tonight on a regular Wednesday night "armchair concert" show. Z93 has been the sponsor on the ticket the last two years, but has given no publicity since Traffic '94. ( Actually, it's probably because they regularly give away tickets on Wednesday, and it's a slow week after the Labor Day holiday. )

In Atlanta, Steve's playlist has been reduced to BitHL, HL, FT and RwI, played on one "soft rock" station. The Z93 plays some Traffic and Arc of the Diver, occasionally. At least this year they are acknowledging his existence.

Deb in Atlanta

-------------------------- End of Smiling Phases, volume 165