Date sent: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 15:39:18 -0400
From: Dawn Shaw
Subject: Hard Rock Cafe

I was in Philadelphia recently, and went to check out the Hard Rock Cafe. They have a section dedicated to our hero! When entering at 11th & Market Sts. walk straight through to the back wall, and look up. They have an autographed copy of the Chronicles LP, one of his mandolins, a blue-gray suit jacket, concert pic of him playing guitar (solo years), a poster from Far From Home tour, and an award plaque for Low Spark LP. Pretty interesting, and worth a look if you are visiting the Philly historic area.

Also, if you haven't checked out the new release from Julian Lennon, "Photograph Smile" I highly recommend that you do. He has really come into his own. Beautiful writing, talented on multiple instruments, and stunning vocals. I think it would appeal to SW fans. Julian however, enunciates beautifully! (Sorry Steve!) Julian is on tour this summer, and if you can, definitely catch the live show!

Keep Shining!
Dawn S.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Wagner, Jim"
Subject: RE: Valerie
Date sent: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:55:42 -0400

To answer Oliver Bruder's question:

I believe the "Valerie" solo was played on a multi-moog. Steve plays one in the Valerie video. In the 20th anniversary issue of Keyboard, While You See A Chance and the Arc of the Diver album were recognized as a one of the top 20 singles and albums of the last 20 years. The article mentions that While You See... was played on a multi-moog.

Take Care,
Jim

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date sent: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:19:19 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Underrated songs

The post from "newbie" John Larrabee (SP 160) got me thinking about what Traffic / Winwood songs I would consider underrated / neglected. So I looked at the Most Beloved & Most Uninspired song lists to see where my favorites stood. Based on that, here are my votes for Most Underrated:

1. Graveyard People (not on either the Beloved or Uninspired list) - "When The Eagle Flies" was the Traffic album that started it all for me back in '77, and this is my favorite track thereon. (Even "Memories Of A Rock 'n' Rolla" got 1 vote on the Beloved list -- why wouldn't "Graveyard"?)

2. Love (ditto) - OK, so there's not much to this one, but it's still a favorite "Eagle" moment of mine.

3. Spanish Dancer (on the Uninspired list) - What exactly do people not like about this one? If it weren't for this song & Night Train I wouldn't even own "Arc Of A Diver" (of which the title track gets my vote for Most Overrated).

4. Coloured Rain (1 vote on Beloved) - I second John's vote on this one. Pure greatness, period. It's no coincidence that it shows up on so many compilations.

5. Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory (1 vote on Beloved) - I can listen to this one over and over again. I'm surprised it's not a favorite of more people.

That's my top 5, but I have to throw in an Honorable Mention vote (again seconding John's vote) for No Time To Live. Chris' lonely-sounding sax on this is one of his best moments IMHO.

Anyone else have any Most Underrated votes?

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Session Work
Date sent: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:46:56 -0400

A plethora (love that word!) of recent UK releases with interest for Winwood fans has turned up lately. These are mostly for diehard collectors.

The Habits: The old LP compilation (series?) called The Mod Scene has finally been remastered and reissued remastered on CD in the UK. Among the tracks is The Habits' "Elbow Baby", produced by Spencer Davis and Steve Winwood in 1966. This was the A-side of their only single, and it's groovy indeed! As far as I know, it appeared on one or two LP compilations years ago, but this is the first CD release. I've added this to the Sessions page.

Family: Moving from 60s mod to 60s psychedelic, another CD compilation called Electric Sugarcube Flashbacks includes Family's "Scene Through The Eye Of A Lens" (1967). We were able to confirm last year that Steve and the rest of Traffic played on this obscure and very rare single, the band's first record! This is the first compilation appearance I've heard of for this song. It's also now on the Sessions page.

John Mayall and Steve Anglo: Thanks to Murray for posting about the new compilation called The Blues Scene, released in April, which includes "Long Night". It appears to be in the same series as The Mod Scene. A quick check revealed that the Raw Blues CD seems to be out of print again.

John Martyn: Another World We've long known that Steve was heavily involved with John's classic album One World (1977). A new release called Another World consists entirely of alternative mixes from that album, including more of Steve's work. His keyboard playing here is similar in style to Go and the first solo effort. The set includes an additional track, "Black Man At Your Shoulder". As Murray noted in the last issue, the first 1000 copies include a bonus disc with a few more alternative mixes of these songs. Thanks to Thore Henry Hansen for alerting me to this release! See the Sessions page for more details on the original album.

I've added all of these releases to the Collaborations & Session Work pages of Bobbie's Smiling Phases site. See those entries for more details and tracks for the original John Martyn album.

From: Stephen Smith
Subject: AC show 9/10
Date sent: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:39:55 -0400

A couple responses from the last issue:

Rochelle - I just got tickets today for the 9/10 show in Atlantic City. Hope to see you there!

For anyone interested in this show, tickets are available at $56 and $39, only through the evil Ticketmaster. The Grand Cayman Ballroom in Trump Marina seats about 3,000.

Time for the requisite Ticketmaster tirade... Can anyone explain what "convenience" justifies the $5 per ticket convenience charge on top of the handling fee? My first several attempts to call hit a busy signal, then I was on hold for at least 10 minutes, they tried to sell me at least three unrelated "freebies" despite my crystal clear expression that I wasn't interested in such things, they didn't have full directions to the venue, and the guy I spoke with was on autopilot and a total chore to work with. Convenience? Oh wait, silly me, they mean for them!!!

Steve Seim - The tracks on Jim Capaldi's "Prince Of Darkness" are:
Tonight You're Mine
Prince Of Darkness
Tales Of Power
Some Come Running
Love Used To Be A Friend Of Mine
Old Photographs
Sweet Smell Of Success
That's Love
Only Love
Child In The Storm
Man With No Country
Going Home
The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys

From: "Murray Dreyer"
Subject: Walking in the Wind 7" single
Date sent: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:32:26 +1200

I have the single "Walking in the Wind" that you posted about.

It appears that the instrumental B side is basically a vocal-less (is there such a word?) version of the A side.

There is no intro "wind sound" and the Organ and Piano seem to b more to the front of the sound. Otherwise nothing strikes me as much different.

So I'd say a "slight remix without vocals" would be on the mark.

cheers
Murray D

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Murray Dreyer"
Subject: JC - Prince of Darkness CD
Date sent: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:41:41 +1200

The Track list of Capaldi's "Prince of Darkness" is as follows.

1: Tonight you're mine
2: Prince of Darkness (Capaldi/Stubblefield)
3: Tales of Power (Capaldi/Santana/Walker/Thompson/Vilato)
4: Some come running
5: Love used to be a friend of mine
6: Old Photographs
7: Sweet smell of Success
8: That's Love
9: Only Love
10: Child in the Storm
11: Man with no Country
12: Going Home
13: The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.

Tracks 2 and 3 were previously unreleased according to the liner notes. Going Home is a Winwood/Capaldi composition. The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys is the version off the Sweet Smell of Success Album and not the "Slide Guitar" version off the "Let the Thunder Cry" CD.

Hope this helps

cheers
Murray D

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Murray Dreyer"
Subject: The Blues Scene
Date sent: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:03:00 +1200

The "Blues Scene" Track Listing as requested.

1: The Bluesbreakers - Curly
2: Eddie Boyd - Key to the Highway
3: John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (with Peter Green) - The Supernatural
4: Otis Span - Pretty Girls everywhere
5: Eddie Boyd - Blue Coat Man
6: Champion Jack Dupree (with John Mayall & Eric Clapton) - Third Degree.
7: John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (with Eric Clapton) - Steppin' Out
8: Savoy Brown - Train to nowhere
9: Curtis Jones - Roll me over
10: Zoot Money - Get on the right track baby
11: Alexis Korners' Blues Inc - Night time is the right time
12: Mae Mercer - Sweet little Angel
13: Graham Bond Organization - Strut around
14: Steve Anglo and John Mayall - Long Night.
15: Davy Graham - Goin' down slow
16: Savoy Brown - Taste & try before you buy
17: Keef Hartley - Me and my Woman
18: Eddie Boyd - Dust my Broom
19: Champion Jack Dupree & Mickey Baker - Barrel House Woman
20: Rod Stewart - I'm gonna move to the outskirts of town
21: John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (with Peter Green) - Double trouble
22: Champion Jack Dupree - 24 hours
23: Alexis Korner's Blues Inc - Early in the morning
24: Savoy Brown Blues Band - Let me love you baby
25: John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - I need you love.

1964 tracks 11,20 and 23
1965 tracks 10, 13, 15 and 25
1966 tracks 6, 7 and 12
1967 tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 14, 18, 19, 21, 22 and 24
1969 tracks 8
1791 tracks 17

Compilation released in UK 1999 (probably about June) on Deram (Decca) 844 801-2.

Hope this assists

cheers
Murray D

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: compilation/ sold over the t.v./ SDG
Date sent: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:14:45 PDT

Just heard from the kids about an ad they saw on the t.v. last night about a compilation of 60's music and in the background was a shot of SDG doing Gimme Some Lovin'. Haven't seen it myself...will let you know but it may be something already out. With all this "Austin Powers" 'sixties thing' going on it has put that time period in the forefront. Are we all (the 40+ group) trying to recapture our youth?:-)

Also, how soon will a setlist come out for the summer tour? The first concerts start in 2 weeks. and I am looking forward to a post in SP about it.

And to John L....where can I get that CD of Steve Winwood "Sneezing With Soul"? :-)

Looks like it will be a busy Winwood summer....so much to look forward to!
*Lani*

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: "Timothy Arthur"
Subject: 5 Favorites
Date sent: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:03:00 -0700

never sent in my 5......we only get 5?! Do you know how hard that was just to pick 5. So here are mine in order of my favorites:

#1 Don't You Know What The Night Can Do - all time favorite like I told you before if this was the ONLY song he ever did I'd love him for this!!

#2 Can't Find My Way Home -

#3 While You See A Chance - love that verse 'how the endless road unwinds you'....need a few dozen Stevie CD's and a 500 mile drive right now! In fact that is how I unwind, with Steve in my car.

#4 Roll With It - I've had to do this most of my life!

#5 Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys - always take a big deep breath after this one....remember childbirth classes and the 'cleansing breaths'?

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: TGH2Moose@aol.com
Date sent: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:06:44 EDT
Subject: Re: Walking In The Wind

<< Date sent: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:49:36 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Walking In The Wind

Regarding the Traffic discography item (7" single) "Walking in the wind / Walking... (Instr.)": Does anyone know just what the instrumental B- side version consists of? Is it an edit, an alternate recording, a remix without vocals, or what?

Ted >>

I'm sure someone else will be more accurate here, but if memory serves, the b-side of Walking in the Wind is just the second half of the song, after the last verse, and side 1 is the corresponding first half. Being 7 minutes or however long it was, it couldn't very well be put on one side of a single in its entirety.

I thought I had the doggone thing but now I can't find it....argh!

Moose

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: "Murray Dreyer"
Date sent: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:28:59 +1200

Took a closer look last night after I received your "times" email.

I even dragged out the Album version that I hadn't listened to in a while.

I now appears to me that the Single is just a split version of the Album track.

Side A (Vocal) is 4.15 ish
Side B (Instrumental) is 2.10 ish

which in total (allowing for say a 0.10 intro and exit) is very close to the 6.48 ish of the Album track.

I still think there is some different sounds in the Instrumental part so it may be a slightly different mix with the levels of instruments changed.

cheers
Murray D

End of Smiling Phases