Date sent: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:07:10 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Live trax on '94 Traffic singles, etc.

Stephen Smith wrote: "Three live tracks were released on Traffic singles in 1994 - 40,000 Headmen' and 'Low Spark' (both with 'Some Kinda Woman'), and 'Glad' (with 'Here Comes A Man'). I know someone mentioned fairly recently about those live tracks being Winwood rather Traffic, but I didn't quite register! Could someone please explain this again? "

'Glad'ly! As a couple of sharp-eyed SP types have mentioned, the '94 Traffic singles were released before Traffic '94 had even started playing gigs. (Not long before, but still before.) Apparently, according to the same SPers, these recordings are in fact from SW solo gigs, probably from '91. The tracks themselves only contain one clue to tip off the uninformed (like me) that something is amiss: the shout of 'Luis Conte - percussion!' in the live 'Glad'. (Even I knew that the percussionist in Traffic '94 was Walfredo Reyes Jr.)

Also, in regards to the baffling array of Winwood non-album trax (remixes, live versions, etc.) on singles: Do the record companies release all this obscure, peripheral stuff just to try to take advantage of completist collectors??

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Fischler, Sol (NBC)"
Subject: RE: Jim Gordon/Gordon Lightfoot
Date sent: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:19:03 -0400

Yes, Jim Gordon played for Gordon Lightfoot on a number of albums, and there is only one "Jim Gordon" who plays the drums.

However, there are two different "Jim Gordons" in music. The other one is a horns/woodwind player, and to confuse matters even further, they played many sessions together. In a conversation I had with him, the horn player kept referring to the drummer as "Jim Beck", using his middle name to differentiate. He told a story of how a royalties check once was sent to the union office and made out simply to "Jim Gordon", and neither one could remember doing the session. So they split it.

One of my prized possessions is a Jim Gordon solo album, which is mostly keyboards and "experimental" pieces. I asked Jim "Beck" about it, and he didn't remember it. (Which, unfortunately, isn't indicative of much anymore.) The bio on the back of the album had me convinced it was the drummer, as it listed all the people he'd played with -- Lightfoot, Dave Mason, Leon Russell, D&B, etc. When I spoke to the horn player, though, he told me it was his.

So when you see Jim Gordon credited with drums, it's "our" Jim Gordon. When you see Jim Gordon credited with horns, it's Jim #2.

Which brings up an interesting question: Both Gordons played for Delaney and Bonnie. On one of the early D&B albums (I don't remember which), Jim Gordon is also credited with the piano. I always assumed it was drummer Jim, who is (was) a proficient piano player (see "Layla"). But now I'm not so sure. I will say that whoever it was, knew how to play. There was another piano player on the album -- Little Richard or somebody -- someone known for the piano. But the playing credited to Jim Gordon really impressed me ...

If I can dig out my albums, I'll fill in the missing pieces -- names, titles, etc. The Gingko is just not working today ...

-- Sol

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "Timothy Arthur"
Subject: Imagine
Date sent: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:27:36 -0700

Once again the classic rock radio station here in Miami (BIG 106) will have on TRAFFIC, on "The Big Ticket" Sunday night at 10 p.m. It will be from 1970 at the BBC. This station has really been great! Last week I called the morning deejay, Laura Francis and told her about Steve being on tour....she said that was wonderful news, and when she came back on the 'air' she mentioned that Steve would be on tour.....although she did not mention the details at least she mentioned it! This afternoon after they played "Imagine" by John Lennon, I called the afternoon guy, Bill Murphy and told him about Steve doing "Imagine" in an upcoming tribute to Lennon. And when he came back on the 'air', he said that the word is .....that in an upcoming tribute to Lennon, Steve Winwood would be doing "Imagine", and that it was very 'cool'. So when the details on the name of this tribute is announced I will have to call Bill and let him know, he wants the details. And, it is a crying shame that the live (dead?!) request line was not updated......at least we tried. And let's take the attitude that Dawn has...Steve deserves a break if he wants....he has earned it! And Steve 'my love', if you read SP....please sing "Georgia" at the HOB in Orlando! Looking forward to Sept. 12!!

**Lani*winwoodfan@hotmai.com

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date sent: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:33:31 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com
Subject: Paper Sun single

Thought it couldn't hurt to ask: Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy of the "Paper Sun" single with the vocal "Giving To You" on the B-side? Or is that one of those cherished collectibles that no one ever lets go of?

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date sent: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:48:15 EDT
Subject: "Ghost Goes Gear" to be released on video

It was such a real treat to see "The Ghost Goes Gear" on the big screen. When I walked into the recently remodeled Egyptian theater for this portion of the Cinematheque 60's film fest they were playing SDG music before the screening. I thought to myself 'someone did this right'. Spencer Davis himself was there to talk about the film before it rolled. The best news of all was given to us that "The Ghost Goes Gear" is supposed to be released on VHS & DVD in the next few months. I will try to keep you advised as the release date draws near. Spencer rightly told us to laugh at this movie & we certainly did. Spencer sat in the same row I was in & I caught him laughing many times at what was on the screen. The biggest applause from the audience came when Steve belted out "Nobody Love You When You're Down & Out". They also do their version of "Midnight Special", "When I Come Home" & a couple of instrumentals. Yes, like all musical group movies this movie is stupid too but you have some great performances by SDG here. The print we saw was very clean for such an old film. It must have been restored. I also saw "Go Go Mania" (known as "Pop Gear" in the UK) which was screened the next day & shows SDG playing "My Babe". "Go Go Mania" also features a couple "live" songs from the Beatles as well as studio lip synced songs from Peter & Gordon, The Animals, Nashville Teens and many others.

BTW through Spencer's management I invited him to the gathering in Burbank in Sept. While it's unlikely he will attend, you never know, so please RSVP to Bobbie or me for the gathering now.

Craig Loudon

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: Legends-Clapton-Blind Faith
Date sent: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:55:04 PDT

This evening VH1 had Eric Clapton on their "Legends". They showed some footage of BLIND FAITH at their Hyde Park debut. Also an interview with Clapton talking about getting together with Stevie to do an album....says he is not sure if it will be his or Steve's. Pretty sure this has been on before...and will be on again.

Well, Bob Dylan just came on.... son Joey says "So the "old guy sings".....and "this is one guy I can show up on guitar". Oldest daughter, Tanya and I laugh, Tanya asks "what IS he saying?" Did anyone ever know!?

Bye, *Lani*

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: cksgwatt@webtv.net (Charles Watt)
Date sent: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 02:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Career ebb

As for the "career-ebb" issue, I'll point out that I don't think anybody knows where the music biz is going. Lately I've seen so many artists crash and burn trying ever so hard not to repeat themselves. Their latest CD stiffs and their label says adios. On the other hand, how'd you like to be a record company exec trying to work on new product with a two-year lead time? Yeeks. And soon - even now - artists are releasing on the Net. Hope Steve's manager is cyber-savvy.

I don't think it matters which genre Steve writes new material for. The success of any new material will depend on something relatively simple. I always remember seeing a David Foster interview in which Foster attributes one of the most important things he ever learned to Quincy Jones... that no matter how good the production values, in most types of popular music the most important element is melody. Just as a movie needs a good story - and without it all the special effects in the world are wasted - a song has to have melody. Production trickery and musicianship certainly enhance a song, but the song has to be there to start with. And this Steve can deliver, as we all know.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "BobbieG."
Date sent: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:27:05 -0700
Subject: Award

Rock n World has named Winwood to its Top 100 Artists of All Times list; Steve came in #63, with 6119 votes out of a total of 1,237,812.

For more information, see
http://www.rocknworld.com/specials/top100/artist/1999/index.shtml

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date sent: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 02:04:18 EDT
Subject: SW pic in Rock Hall

Finally something of Steve's is in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame but only thru Aug 8th. A photo of Steve is part of the exhibition of Linda McCartney's photos. If you have her "Sixties" photo book it's the same solo picture of Steve found on page 139 (the one where his hair is wind blown). I saw some photos I had not seen before. Her photos are better seen in person instead of looking at them in a book. Down the hall from the photo exhibition is a small theater where they are currently running a BBC documentary about her photos in which you catch a glimpse at other photos with Steve in them. The long behind the lens documentary is well worth the time. If you can't make it to the Rock Hall by the 8th of August then keep an eye open as the photos are on a national tour. In the store inside the Rock Hall I found a great "pop up" rock history book called "The Rock Pack." Under one of the flaps is a wheel with pictures of seven "Super Group Musicians." The book asks if you can name the musicians and groups they played in. I'll give you a hint: one picture on the wheel is of our hero. The answers are under another flap.

Craig Loudon

End of Smiling Phases