From: Katstrofik@aol.com
Date sent: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 13:40:51 EDT
Subject: Re: Whiter Shade of Pale

About "Whiter Shade of Pale": When I first got into Steve, I also thought that was him singing that song, it wasn't until later that i had heard soooo much of Steve, that I realized it wasn't him.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: BobbyM3228@aol.com
Date sent: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 23:43:59 EDT
Subject: Bobby Messano #1 on MP3.COM

Check out Bobby Messano's 5 of the Top 15 Blues/Rock on MP3.com at: www.MP3.com

By the way, I'm going to be re-releasing "Dominion Roads" on what looks like another major label.

Bobby

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date sent: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 08:59:51 -0400
From: Trafficologist (Ted G. - ftg3plus4@cs.com)
Subject: The phone book

Katstrofik@aol.com writes:

"To Berkin - That thing about Steve singing excerpts out of the phone book - I think that was in the movie "Corrina, Corrina" and it was actually said about Louis Armstrong."

I've seen "Corrina" twice and I don't remember that quote. Not that that means anything, but nonetheless I believe I can shed light on the origin of the "phone book" statement.

In a 1977 issue of Crawdaddy magazine (I'm not going to dig it out to find the exact date unless I have to - it has Marie Osmond on the cover), there is a review of SW's first solo album. The reviewer comments on some of the lyrics not being worthy of Steve's heartfelt delivery. Part of one sentence reads "Steve, who could recite from the phone book and win converts,...".

Any questions?

Ted G

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "John"
Subject: Traffic concert info?
Date sent: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:32:38 -0600

Do you know where I can find Traffic setlists, and in particular, 5/24/94 Fiddlers Green show, Englewood, Co.

Much appreciated,
John

[Please reply off-list to John, at his request. --BG]

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date sent: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:10:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Concerts

WHat I expect, from experience, is that Steve had never planned such an extensive tour in absence of a potential production. So , IS he getting ready to release material,, (keep fingers crossed everyone).. Hopefully,,

For 'Steve',, i am working on the Palmer session, i just can not find it,, to prove it..

For Dawn,, thanx for the day and the good luck we had,.

By the way, i am not "the" person to say this, and i thought we had discussed this a couple of years ago, but that incredible raw performance by Steve on StoneFree,, was not the only moment "when the master was making everyone admire him yet again" that night, He also sang Higher Love and Gimme Some Lovin, and the GSL, for my money (IMHO) was the best version i have ever seen, or heard.

Finally , i totally agree with MRS Beatles,, and Dawn for that matter, that The Procol Harem song sounds like Steve..very much,,

Berkin

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) - ftg3plus4@cs.com
Date sent: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:56:31 EDT
Subject: What's Shakin'

A copy, in good shape, of the What's Shakin' album has just fallen into my hands. This has the three songs by Eric Clapton & The Powerhouse, plus a notes insert saying the singer was "Steve Anglo" (yeah right). I haven't heard much about it but I think I've heard it's hard to find. Is this true? Would any SP readers be interested in this?

This copy's cover does not have the black & white "dancing people" cover shown in the official SW site's discography, but rather a color photo of Lovin' Spoonful. One of the Powerhouse songs, "Steppin' Out" is currently not included in the SP Song Encyclopedia. (Bobbie?)

Ted G

[Ted, when I saw your email, I added the song to the Encyclopedia - thanks for the heads-up! --BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date sent: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:58:18 -0500
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: Re: Re-masters

I'm beginning to get a little discouraged that we'll ever see those CDs on CDEurope, etc. Do you think one of our SP members in the UK might be willing to purchase and ship them for those of us who send $? I'd even be willing to give a few extra bucks for their trouble.

Available on eBay until 11:55 CST Saturday (May 1): "That's Live TRAFFIC - Recorded Live in London 1970" Italian gray-market import CD. Bidding starts at $15. Item #95311133.

Steve

[Sorry I didn't get this sent earlier, but the item may still be available. --BG]

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: Breton24@aol.com
Date sent: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:22:09 EDT
Subject: Tape trading

Hi everyone,

Just joined this list about a month ago, but this is my first post.

I was looking to expand my SW-related collection. I have some Traffic, Blind Faith, SW-solo material which seems to circulate commonly. I also have a Mason/Capaldi show from last summer, plus lots of other non-SW material.

I'd be happy to work out trades with anyone's who interested off- list.

Thanks,
Derek

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "BobbieG."
Date sent: Mon, 3 May 1999 10:11:01 -0700
Subject: Greetings

Only 9 days to go before Winwood's birthday, folks, and I only have 13 emails in the Greetings Folder! Please send yours asap. :-)

Bobbie
(who also hasn't written one yet, oops)

End of Smiling Phases, volume 153