SMILING PHASES
The Winwood and Traffic Mailing List

To post or unsubscribe, just reply to this email.

Archives are located at
http://www.treefort.org/~bobbieg/

The SP web-sit is located at
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/winwood.htm

The Official web-site is located at
http://www.stevewinwood.com/

Volume 152, sent April 14, 1999: (US citizens - Have you filed your taxes yet?  Heads up!)

1. Traffic and Mott the Hoople
2. Session work (maybe) - Michael Weaver ?
3. TOUR news!!!!
4. Chic thoughts
5. Hole in my Shoe
6. The phone book
7. spy import single
8. Re-masters
9. SDG/Ed TV
10. ICQ, Birthday Greetings and Lithos

of a trivia contest that one of the members posted:

"The 70`s band Traffic slams the glam movement in their '72 recording of "Low Spark Of High
Heeled Boys", but it is directed at one band in particular. Who were these high heeled boys
and why was Traffic slamming them?"

The answer given was:

"Mott The Hoople. They were bitter over Steve Winwood being the golden child of Island
Records and getting all of the cash and attention. Steve Winwood peaked at the tender age
of 16 and it's been downhill [steeply] ever since!"

The reply to the answer was:

"Give the man a cigar! This one was kind of tough. Although Mott could sell out any arena
anywhere in the world, it never translated to album sales and they blamed Island for not
pumping in the promotion dollars they pumped into Traffic. "

BTW, I obviously don't share the opinion of the writer about SW being on the downhill ever
since.

I wrote to the person who "confirmed" the answer:

"An acquaintance of mine is the moderator of a Steve Winwood newsletter and she says she's
never heard the claim that "Low Spark" was written about Mott the Hoople. Can you tell me
where that information comes from?"

To which he replied:

"It's pretty much common knowledge among Mott fans, but I would think it was the same for
Traffic/Winwood fans as well. What reminded me of it was an artical by Dave Thompson
called, "Mott The Hoople: All The Young Dudes` Capers" in the March 26 issue of Goldmine
(which may be quite old. I`ve seen this artical before or one very much like it in another
publication). He states: (referring to Motts reaction to the flat sales of their latest
album Brain Capers) The groups mood was blacken even further when they found themselves on
the receiving end of a serious slapping from their Island Records stablemates Traffic. In
interviews, Hunter had never shied away from commenting upon the labels apparent
perferential treatment of Steve Winwood and Co. (particulary when it came to recording
budgets). Now Winwood seemed to be getting his revenge, with a song called "Low Spark Of
High Heeled Boys," mocking precisely the kind of rock and working class heroes Mott The
Hoople set themselves up as. Mott The Hoople were distinctly unamused.

The artical goes on to say that Hunter was never really sure if they were indeed the "High
Heeled Boy" referred to in the song until decades later when Hunter confronted Winwood on
it. Hunter states, "Winwood just smiled."

Gene"

Arnie

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From:           	Stephen Smith
Subject:        	Session work (maybe) - Michael Weaver ?
Date sent:      	Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:30:09 -0500

Alan Clayson's Winwood biography, Back In The High Life (1988), includes a reference to
possible session work with Michael Weaver. I've looked into this enough to know it's not
worth further effort, but I thought others might be interested. If you know anything about
this, please let me know!

From the book, page 96: "In a semi-official capacity as an Island A and R manager, Steve
also supervised and plucked guitar on sessions by Colchester organist Michael Weaver,
formerly of the Fairies, who - as Wynder K. Frog - had been commended by reviewers when he
opened that troubled Croydon presentation for the Spencer Davis Group. However, a version
of Missouri composer Jim Lowe's "Green Door" was not as fruitful for him as it was for
high-stepping Frankie Vaughan in 1956 or for Cardiff rock 'n' roller Shakin' Stevens a
quarter of a century later."

Unfortunately, the book is riddled with inaccuracies and MTV-style disjointed commentary.
The first problem here is that "Green Door" is probably not from the sessions with Steve
that he's referring to, based on Clayson's style throughout the book. Second, the Musicians
Olympus site for Mick Weaver (of Wynder K. Frog) indicates that the keyboardist from The
Fairies was a different musician!

One interesting connection did turn up, though. Night Owl's site says that Wynder K. Frog's
version of "I'm A Man", the Spencer Davis Group tune, "was supposedly recorded live at
Brigitte Bardot's birthday party in Paris".

Night Owl - Northern Soul - UK labels
http://www.night-owl.co.uk/uklabels/list-hijk.htm

Musicians Olympus - Mick Weaver
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/2214/mweav_b.htm

Clayson also wrote a bit about The Habits immediately before the Michael Weaver bit. I've
added The Habits info to the sessions page.

Date sent:      	Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:00:27 -0500
From:           	Bob Craig
Subject:        	TOUR news!!!!

I guess our main man is going back out on the road this summer as a great friend from San
Diego just called to inform me that Winwood tickets for a August 26th show at Humphrey's in
San Diego go on sale Saturday at 10am (PT).

Bob Craig

[So far we have 3 dates, all in California in August, but no others. Keep your eyes and
ears open, folks! --BG]

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date sent:      	Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:27:02 -0600
From:           	Steven Robert Seim
Subject:        	Chic thoughts

Just a few random thoughts on hearing the new live Chic album:

1. It just goes to show how great it is to be an SP member!  I certainly wouldn't have
found out about this one without SP.  You guys are great!

2. Steve's vocal was great--probably the most raw energy he's put on record since around
1970.  Of course we all know that this same raw energy can be experienced at any SW
concert.  Perhaps, with our hero leaving Virgin, the label will try to squeeze one last
drop of cash out of his work by releasing that live album we've been waiting for (if they
can do that legally...).

3. Despite Steve's great vocal, the track was unfortunately overpowered by "Slash"'s
ham-fisted guitar mutilation.  I wouldn't have known there was organ on the track if the
liner notes hadn't said so.  One thing that sets the truly great musicians apart--Steve,
Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix--is that they can play with both power and restraint at the same
time.

4. Despite the liner notes only crediting him on "Stone Free," Steve must have been playing
organ on more than just one track.  He's obviously playing on the "Chic Cheer" jam at the
end (Nile tells him to "boogie down," or something), and when introduced before "Stone
Free," he sounds clearly out of breath, as though he'd already been playing on the last
song.

Steve Seim

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date sent:      	Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:55:13 -0500
From:           	Dawn
Subject:        	Hole in my Shoe

Hey everyone,

Just finally found the answer to the "Hole in My Shoe" mystery monologue girl - Alan
Clayson's book has a picture of her with Steve, and the caption reads:

Steve with Francine Heimann - who lisped the 'Hole in my Shoe' monologue.

There now, we can all finally sleep!

One more little thing:  I'd love to hear Steve sing Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale"
one day.  I remember reading somewhere that Linda McCartney thought that it WAS Steve
singing the first time she'd heard the song. It's so close in parts, you can barely tell
the difference.

Take care,
Dawn

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From:           	Katstrofik@aol.com
Date sent:      	Sat, 3 Apr 1999 00:51:23 EST
Subject:        	The phone book

To Berkin - That thing about Steve singing excerpts out of the phone book - I think that
was in the movie "Corrina, Corrina" and it was actually said about Louis Armstrong.
   -Kat

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From:           	SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date sent:      	Sun, 4 Apr 1999 21:24:19 EDT
Subject:        	spy import single

Is there anything special on the "Spy In The House Of Love" import single??  What about the
"Junction 7" import CD??  I know this has been discussed before, but I don't remember what
was  said.

andrea

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From:           	"BobbieG."
Date sent:      	Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:08:31 -0700
Subject:        	Re-masters

The first of the three remastered Traffic albums was released in the UK only on March 16,
1999; all these include previously unreleased material.  "Mr Fantasy" (which is a mixture
of both the old UK and US releases) and "Traffic" were available from CD-Europe but
apparently they're out of stock already.  "John Barleycorn" should be next. I also see that
there's a re-issue of "When the Eagle Flies" on CD.  There are links to sites where you can
order the CDs from the In the News page of the web-site, or email me for the links.

From:           	SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date sent:      	Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:40:44 EDT
Subject:        	SDG/Ed TV

I don't know if this has already been posted or not, but "Gimmie Some Lovin'" is used in
"Ed TV."

andrea

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From:           	"BobbieG."
Date sent:      	Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:12:26 -0700
Subject:        	ICQ, Birthday Greetings and Lithos

I have created an Interest Group in ICQ but I'm a really new newbie at this, and I don't
have a clue what else to do.  Anyone else an ICQer?  Can you help?

Also, I have 8 "greetings" in the folder for Steve's birthday on May 12. If you haven't
yet, please send yours in!

And if you still want a litho, please email me. We have still have some.

Thanks,
Bobbie
ICQ#18591077

End of Smiling Phases, volume 152