Volume 150, sent March 17, 1999 (Happy St Patrick's Day!):
1. Fandango
2. Every Little Bit Hurts - Twice!
3. Session Work - Chic live
4. Al Kooper
5. On The Sexy lyrics
6. Some thoughts
7. Capaldi/Mason  news
8. Paul is right
9. Sessions
10. Final note
11. Chic album
12. Record companies
13. Misc. Traffic Members
14. Birthday Greetings

1*1*1*1*1*1*1*1*1*1
From:           	"Burrows, Phil"
Subject:        	Fandango
Date sent:      	Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:37:01 -0600

I was watching the movie "Fandango" the other nite, and as the credits started to
roll "Can't Find My Way Home" started.  The movie was made in 1985 I believe
and starred Kevin Costner in one of his early roles. It also has Judd Nelson and
is the story of these 5 kids who just graduated from high school and they are
known as the Groovers.  As their last act together they plan to go to Mexico to
dig up the dom.  You'll have to watch the movie for the rest, I don't want to spoil
it.  It really is a funny movie.

Phil Burrows

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*
From:           	Stephen Smith
Subject:        	Every Little Bit Hurts - Twice!
Date sent:      	Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:10:58 -0500

Some time ago, I posted about variations of several Spencer Davis Group songs.
Alan Clayson's biography of Winwood, Back In The High Life (1988), recently
tipped me off to another one. The song "Every Little Bit Hurts" exists both with
and without backing strings. Like the other variations, this one more or less
follows the line of separate UK and US releases. The version without strings
was originally released on SDG's Their First LP, and is currently available on
the compilation Eight Gigs A Week. The version with strings, added for the US
market, was originally released on I'm A Man, and is currently available on
EMI's Best Of SDG and on Winwood's The Finer Things.

And another thing... I saw Mason and Capaldi last year (5/8/98) at the Big
Kahuna in Wilmington, Delaware, with Al Stewart. They mentioned they might
do a new album together in '99. Anyone have news about this?

From:           	Stephen Smith
Subject:        	Session Work - Chic live
Date sent:      	Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:01:06 -0500

For those wanting to hear Steve do some Hendrix, your wishes have been
fulfilled! The new Chic live album, Live At The Budokan, includes Steve
singing lead vocal and playing organ on Jimi's "Stone Free". He also introduces
the song.

This album documents the last Chic reunion concerts at the Budokan in Tokyo,
Japan, on two or more dates ending April 18, 1996. Bernard Edwards, founding
member of the band along with life-long partner Nile Rodgers, passed away in
his hotel room later that night. The set includes Chic's biggest hits, like "I Want
Your Love" and "Good Times". Other guest musicians include Slash on guitar
for "Le Freak" and "Stone Free", and the Sister Sledge sisters on vocals for
"He's The Greatest Dancer" and "We Are Family". Simon Le Bon was also
involved with the concert but does not appear on this album.

The CD was released last week. Most online vendors list it, but you may have to
hunt around if you're looking in stores. Tower is carrying it, but many smaller
chains don't. I found it at Sam Goody's, of all places!

The recording is very strong, funky, raw, and a fitting tribute to Bernard. It's
refreshingly free of overdubs, allowing the original performance to stand on its
own. There are a few rough edges as a result, notably on "Dance Dance Dance",
but I'll take those rather than over-production anytime! Steve's performance is
quite strong, and he rides Slash's edgy guitar like a wave. This performance took
place a couple months before the release of Junction 7.

For more details, see the Sessions page for the Chic entry under Known
Sessions.

Date sent:      	Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:25:29 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Berkin Altinok
Subject:        	Al Kooper

I guess, Al Kooper has a new book out, and has some interesting things to say,
of course first about his live version of Mr. Fantasy.. which is a great one,, take
that to the bank, it is good.

I guess, not a long  while ago, he wanted to honor Ray Charles, and invited
many artists to be included in the concert with Ray. "Essentially" he calls Steve
in Nashville, and Steve says that Ray is his childhood idol, and that he would be
intimitated by playing in front of Ray. So, he gently turns the offer down. Now I
thought that was strange,, a litte,, at least a little.. any thoughts on that??????

Berkin

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date sent:      	Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:29:20 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Berkin Altinok
Subject:        	On The Sexy lyrics

Now i just want to remind Dawn and Kristin and everyone else on those sexy
lyrics,, I do agree that they are as such, however, as we have been saying all a
long (and this came up to me the other day),, Steve is not "the" lyricist. So those
are initially not his lyrics, It is either Will, Jim, George, Vivian, or Narada, or
etc...

But again, i am just being an a..,  they are great lyrics..

Berkin

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date sent:      	Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:34:00 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Berkin Altinok
Subject:        	Some thoughts

Well, you know what, people?  We are missing on something for over 30 yeras
now, correct me if I am wrong,,

Yes,, Steve is this great multi instrumentalist,, you know the vibes,, drums, a
little Acoustic guitar (*&^%$#@,, we want more), but guess what..

No Harmonica,, since 67,, Come to think about ,,it would be great if he plays it
again..

Come on Steve,,-please..

By the way, the version of "Finer Things" in the box set is different, anyone
noticed this, or have we mentioned this before, it just clicked, it actually is much
better, i think,,,
The other day I am sitting cruising on TV,, Guess what -  Days of Thunder on
one channel, and Mr. Holland's Opus on the other,, too much Winwood on TV
lately..

Berkin

["Too much Winwood"?  Isn't that an oxymoron, Berkin?   -- BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date sent:      	Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:40:40 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Berkin Altinok
Subject:        	Capaldi/Mason  news

Ok, I went to their concert in Boston, It was great except,, Jim was "sick",,
greatly disappointed not to see him.. However,, they replaced him with Peter
Cetera's old drummer, he was old allright, but no myth-making like Jim of
course..

It was still great,, Dave did all old songs, including two blues covers,, "stormy
monday" and "dust Berkin's blues", you know the great Elmore James tune..

Anyways, after the concert the birds told me that their album is done, will be out
in May, or June and they will be on tour over the summer, with Harrison and
Ringo Starr..

The birds also told me that the new album includes,, Harrison, Dylan, and Joel..
I am supposing that we all know their first names..

Jim is drumming and doing the vocals ,, so that is good,,

Berkin..

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date sent:      	Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:54:48 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Berkin Altinok
Subject:        	Paul is right

Well, Paul is  very perceptive about the latest two albums.. and of course about
the great Traffic stuff being the longer songs,, I agree totally.. I had a dream the
other night where Steve was performing "Gerrard" with great band on the piano,
with some strings people aroung him,,I guess it sounded great..

State of Grace, and Far From Home all are 110% Traffic tunes , no question ,,
Also Nowhere Is Their Freedom and Mozambique,, I bet they named that song
after that country because it had a significant feature in 93-94,, was the poorest
country in the world. As for J7,, Paul, i agree with you, in all aspects, but one,
and that is Let your love come down, i think that rocks, but "Lord" is for sure the
song of that year,, no question..Yeahh..\

And Ted, c'mon man,, "Memories of a Rock on Roller" is my favorite song of
all time probably 200 days of a year.. Now, that is pretty good, I agree that the
song has been neglected and neglected big time.

Ohh, yea, the litlle girl on "Hole in my Shoe",, now Ted, I do not have the
courage to call my self a Trafficologist, but I got to tell you, If you have the
1969 "Best of Traffic" album, you know with the blue cover..You can easily see
the name of the girl and her age in the inside booklet..I can not remember,
because i usually leave all my stuff back in Turkey for security reasons,, I think
the gilr was 8 or 11,, or something.

I hope that this helps

Berkin

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date sent:      	Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:02:53 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Berkin Altinok
Subject:        	Sessions

Steve (Smith), dear old buddy, I checked on the album again, Steve is on Robert
Palmer's "Sneakin....",, you know the name...At least in the sleeve notes ,, he is
in,,

And the Remi Kebaka colloboration, sounds great,, i only wished you found
more on it,, keep up the exceptional work you have been doin for us.. me in
particular,,

Chic thing is out for sure or not??? are we clear on that???

Dennis, this is for you,, about "Go", I think those two albums are phenomenal,
great stuff, No CD's yet,, i remember when i was walking down town Ankara
back home in Turkey, I stopped by the shop of an old hippie, and outside he had
a set of albums and I saw "Go", by then i already had it,, but the thing is,, There
was a note on the album,,it said  "This album is like Pink Floyd" or something
like that..

And i guess once it was on CD,, there are a few people in Turkey who have it on
CD, but it is one of those local labels,, that have produced in for a while then
dropped it,,

Berkin..

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date sent:      	Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:05:09 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Berkin Altinok
Subject:        	Final note

Congratulations on Eric's grammy(*&^%$##@#!), he is going to pass Michael
Bolton, if you guys and gals know what I mean,,

Berkin

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From:           	Jmadshadow@aol.com
Date sent:      	Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:27:39 EST
Subject:        	Chic album

I just got the Chic live album and "Stone Free" is EXCELLENT. I'd love to hear
Steve incorporate a harder sound to a few tracks of whatever he's doing now.

Take Care,
John

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From:           	Dawn (koki9@bellatlantic.net)
Subject:        	Record companies
Date sent:      	Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:40:14 -0500

Hey gang:

The most recent Rolling Stone had an article about the take-over of A&M
Records, and mentioned that Island is being taken over by the same
conglomerate.

Welcome to the age of the faceless, behemoth record companies.  The days of
artists being nurtured, and allowed to tuck themselves away in a cottage and
create magic, are well and truly over, I'm afraid. As much as Traffic seemed to
think that Chris Blackwell could be a pain in the neck, surely, this trend is a
worse development for recording artists.

Can't you just see it?  Consider this ugly scene:  If Steve was still with Island, he
could walk into the new headquarters and they'd say, "Steve who?"  "Uh,
Winwood.  I'm on your roster..."  "Oh, okay. Take a number and sit over there,
sweetie.  Someone will be right with you." Just then, Bono pats the seat on the
leather sofa next to him... "Over here, mate."

I'm hoping that Steve finds a decent record company to work with, before they
all get rolled into one giant monster! :-)

Take care,
Dawn

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13
Date sent:      	Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:07:48 -0500
Subject:  Misc. Traffic Members
From: Ted G.

(1) I've seen a couple lengthy bios of the Muscle Shoals guys (David H., Roger,
Barry) and noticed that neither said anything about their involvement with
Traffic.  I realize these guys have done a lot of different things, but it's because
of their Traffic association that a lot of people know of them.  The fact that it's
not so much as mentioned in their bios strikes me as rather telling...

(2) This question may have been asked before, but if it was I didn't see an
answer to it:  Does anyone know the circumstances around the untimely death of
Reebop?  I know Chris' & Rick's stories, but all I can find about Reebop's
demise is that it happened in 1982.

(3) Did you ever notice how many people don't know how to spell "Reebop",
"Rick Grech", or "Rosko Gee"?  I see so many instances of "Rebop", "Ric",
"Gretch", "Gretsch", "Roscoe" and "Rosco" that I wonder if these guys used
multiple spellings themselves or something.

Ted G.

14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14
From:           	"BobbieG."
Date sent:      	Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:45:55 -0700
Subject:        	Birthday Greetings

It's that time again, folks!  Winwood's birthday will be upon us in less than 2
months, May 12. Please email me your "greetings" - what you would write on a
group birthday card for him - and I will print them out and send them to him,
and will upload them to the web-site for everyone to see.  Last year we had 40
people participate.  This year, Winwood will be 51 years old - let's try for at
least that many!

Email your greetings to me, and I will collect them in one folder until it's time to
send them.  I won't put them into SP.
If you need inspiration for what to write, check out last year's at
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/birthday.htm

By the way, we still have lithos left!   You know the drill - email me or Soren if
you'd still like one.  The lithos can be seen at
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/litho.htm

LATE NEWSFLASH:  Winwood may be touring this summer in the US.  I got
email recently from someone who saw ads in her local newspaper.  More details
as I hear.

BobbieG

End of Smiling Phases, volume 150