Volume 146, sent January 8, 1999:
1. "They Call It An Accident" Soundtrack
2. Site & Sounds
3. Session Work - Chic, Reg King, Airforce
4. Re: Smiling Phases - special convention volume
5. Re: Smiling Phases - special convention volume
6. Music City Bowl
7. Lithographs
8. Re:  Smiling Phases - special convention volume
9. billy preston
10. Anglos
11. Midis & Convention/Gatherings

Date sent:      	Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:53:35 -0500
From:           	Trafficologist (Ted G)
Subject:  "They Call It An Accident" Soundtrack

I had not heard this for a long time & recently found a copy at
a price I was willing to pay just to get S.W.'s material.  (As for
the rest of the album, I'll just say "some of it's not bad".)
Some thoughts:

(1) Does anyone (perhaps someone still looking for this
album) NOT know that "Main Theme" is actually an
instrumental version of "The Silence Is Your Song"?  I have to
wonder if someone deliberately gave it a different title so
people would think the album contained one more new S.W.
song than it really did.  This is one of those albums that makes
me wish I could rewrite its credits -- Steve's contributions
should have been listed as:  The Silence Is Your Song (short
version) / Night Train (instrumental) / The Silence Is Your
Song (instrumental) / The Silence Is Your Song (long
version).

(2) Do any of you sharp-eared types out there know if the
soundtrack version of "Night Train" is an edit/remix of the
original or a new recording?  To my ears, it has an
unfamiliarity to it that makes me guess the latter.

(3) Can anyone think of any logical explanation as to why
Steve would record two distinct but similar versions of
"Silence"?  (And, for that matter, why the soundtrack would
use both of them?)

Ted

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From:           	Shawn Walsh
Subject:        	Site & Sounds
Date sent:      	Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:51:35 -0800

Being a tape-trader off-and-on for 20 years the "Tapes In
Circulation" section of the web-site is naturally what I look at
first.  It has actually brought up a question regarding one of
my most favorite Traffic shows. I received it years ago as Ft.
Worth, Texas on 10/12/74. It is the "...Eagle..." line-up with
Roscoe Gee being introduced as the new bass-player. The
material is from the last 2 albums almost exclusively.  The site
and the 'Smiling Phases' booklet maintain the last Traffic show
was the Reading Festival from that previous summer. Was
Reading perhaps the last UK show? Any help is appreciated.

Your friend in keeping the music moving,
Shawn Walsh

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From:           	Stephen Smith
Subject:        	Session Work - Chic, Reg King, Airforce
Date sent:      	Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:32:46 -0500

The Disco Inferno site reports that the highly anticipated new
Chic live album is now slated for release in February 1999.
The concert was Chic's last show before Bernard Edwards
passed away. Performers included Steve, Slash, Simon LeBon,
and the singers from Sister Sledge. Personally, I can't wait for
this one!

I recently came across album information for the elusive Reg
King solo record. Reg was from a group called The Action,
which was popular live but sold few records, and was
considered among the UK's top soul singers of the era along
with Steve. Terry Hounsome's book Rock Record credits
Steve with playing on this album. It turns out that the album
doesn't mention Steve, but there is a credit for "Mystery Man"
on piano for one track ("Down The Drain"). Steve sometimes
used aliases early in his career, such as Steve D'Angelo with
Powerhouse (1966), Steve Anglo with John Mayall (1967),
and, most notably, The Mystery Shadow with BB King
(1971). I've assumed for now that Steve is the Mystery Man,
but I'd love to hear from anyone who can affirm or debunk this
connection!

A few issues back, I wrote about the new Ginger Baker
compilation Do What You Like, which includes both Airforce
albums and the single. The album credits Steve with
performing on the studio version of "Man Of Constant
Sorrow", originally released on the single. In fact, the credits
for the single are the same as for the concert, which is
incorrect. Jan Inge Sommerseth has since pointed out that
Steve and Chris Wood left Airforce before that track was
recorded, so I've corrected the Collaborations page entry to
reflect that. Great catch, Jan!

Take care.

Subject:        	Re: Smiling Phases - special convention
volume
From:           	Paul Minkkinen

Date sent:      	Thu, 24 Dec 1998 16:15:35 +0000

Just read your notes on the Sp convention ' looks like I missed
a good one. RE:Convention 2000 Checking building progress
on the Millenium dome for year 2000, if not i suggest
Wembley Stadium (capacity 70000 ). Should Steve wish to
appear I could suggest an unplugged gig in my back garden if
he wants a more intimate venue (capacity 30 but plenty of beer
in the fridge but alas no Indiana Pale Ale) probably just as
good the following beers are recommended to american
English beer 1st timers: Theakstons Old Peculiar ( for those
who wish to fall over with minimum effort) waggledance ( a
honey based beer with a twang to it) FullersLondon Pride
(Craig did'nt seem to like that one and went back to the
Guiness on his recent visit to these shores)but still gets my
thumbs up Summer lightning- looks weak by its colour
,pleasant wheaty flavour and not a particularly strong taste, but
......!?*?

Next bulletins travel tips will advise which doner kebab vans
are safe to eat from thus avoiding instant death.How to
understand english dialects, Geordie, Scouse. Brummie
etc.Cockroach free hotel guide,and other equally rivetting
topics, oh i see a book coming on MINKYS GUIDE TO US
CITIZENS ATTENDING THE STEVIE MILLENIUM
KNEES UP (think i need to work a little harder on a snappier
title

Must go just treated myself to a mini disc player and will
probably need to go on a 7 year training course in the
Bahamas to learn how to use it !!!

Have fun
Paul M.

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From:           	greenwald@jps.net
Date sent:      	Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:47:28 +0100
Subject:        	Re: Smiling Phases - special convention
volume

Well...

After reading all of the accounts of your antics at your
'convention', I must say that if you people actually think that
you can come into MY city (Los Angeles) and behave that
way you did in N.Y.C., talk about Steve Winwood, eat, drink,
HANG OUT in public places...

well, you've all got a screw loose.

AND-

I look forward to meeting you all in L.A.! Can't wait...

Matt G.

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date sent:      	Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:38:25 -0500
From:           	Dawn Shaw
Subject:        	Music City Bowl

Did you catch the SW performance on ESPN?  SW
performing on TV is so rare.  The weather  looked really
harsh.  My husband was like, "Why is there a limo on the
field?"  I said, "Steve's sitting in it.  Just watch."  As they said
his name, out he pops and runs onstage.  The band must have
been freezing!  The ice was caking up on his Hammond.  Did
you take notice of Michael Rhodes on bass?  I thought it was a
fun performance and great of them to brave the weather and
wind.  He looks good.  Sure, there is some gray coming in, but
he has really soulful, ageless eyes.  Kind of like he's young at
heart.

Keep Shining!
Dawn S.

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From:           	"BobbieG."
Date sent:      	Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:23:24 -0700
Subject:        	Lithographs

There are still plenty of lithographs available, so please email
me (if you live in North America) or Soren (sohi@aabc.dk if
you live anywhere else) if you'd like to order one.  The price is
$75 and they can be seen at

http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/litho.htm

These are still available ONLY to Subscribers to Smiling
Phases at this time, but they will go on sale through the web-
site and other venues by the end of January, so if you want a
low-numbered one, please email me or Soren soon.

If you can't afford one right now, but know that you will want
one sometime this spring, please email me and I will hold
back one for you, to make sure that SPers get as low a number
as possible.

I hope everyone's holidays were bright, cheery, and filled with
love,

From:           	EMTIPAGES@aol.com
Date sent:      	Sat, 2 Jan 1999 22:57:20 EST
Subject:        	Re:  Smiling Phases - special convention
volume

Dear Smiling Phasers who were lucky enough to be at the first
annual convention:

Oh, how I wish I had been there!  Glad you had such a
fantastic time- and thank you for letting me experience it
vicariously through this digest...

Mary from Minnesota

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From:           	LRXA09A@prodigy.com ( ROCHELLE
KRELL)
Date sent:      	Mon,  4 Jan 1999 07:39:48, -0500
Subject:        	billy preston

Do you know if Billy Preston ever played with Steve?

I just bought a Best of Billy Preston CD and it's excellent.
There's a lot of guitar and organ backgrounds.

Have a great day,
Rochelle

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From:           	Stephen Smith
Subject:        	Anglos
Date sent:      	Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:36:29 -0500

Steve himself has resolved the key mystery of the Anglos
record!

Rumors have long circulated that Steve played some role with
the Anglos single of 1965, "Incense" / "You're Foolin' Me".
The conflicting stories about this record have created one of
the biggest and most legendary mysteries of Steve's career.

Last year, Jan Inge Sommerseth concluded that Steve wasn't
involved. After further research in cooperation with Jan, I also
concluded that Steve probably didn't perform on it. But there
was still a possibility of some non-performing role.

When the opportunity arose to submit questions for a Q&A
with Steve, I immediately thought about this record. Scott
Tribble, webmaster of the official site, conducted the Q&A
and recently posted the results. Responding to my question,
Steve said "I had no involvement whatsoever with that
record"!

While other aspects of the single remain unclear, this point is
now very much in focus. Thank you, Steve, for clearing up
this mystery! And thanks to Scott for posing my question to
Steve. I'm continually amazed by the communicative and
collaborative possibilities created by the Internet, and this is
an excellent example.

Jan and I compiled substantial background information on this
single last year. Because of the historical interest in the record,
I'll leave most of it on the Rumored Sessions page with a note
about Steve's response.

From:           	"BobbieG."
Date sent:      	Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:13:38 -0700
Subject:        	Midis & Convention/Gatherings

Have we got any midi-experts out there who would like to
help develop Winwood tunes for the web-site?  I get requests
for midis all the time, and would like to be able to satisfy
some of them.  Email me or Hisao (hchida@be.mbn.or.jp) if
you'd like to help.

Also, the 'Conventions' have been renamed to 'Gatherings' to
avoid that certain corporate je ne sai quoi. The next Gathering
is scheduled for next month (February 1999) in New Orleans,
for Mardi Gras.  Please email me or Michael
(McLace@aol.com) for more information!

Bobbie

End of Volume 146