Volume 143, sent October 28, 1998, contains the following posts:
1. Re: Trafficology
2. RE: Opening Bands
3. Re: Opening Bands
4. Re: Opening Bands
5. Extra SW items up for grabs.
6. Re: 94 Traffic Openers
7. Re: Heaven Is In Your Mind
8. Winwood, Traffic merchandise
9: Re: Opening Bands
10. I'm A Man lyrics
11. Random comments
12. Coloured Rain in the US
13. Back in the High Life
14. Dream Set List
15. Reviews in Q Magazine

From:           	"Scott Tribble"
Subject:        	Re: Trafficology
Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:46:14 -0400

>Thing #1:  I've asked a couple former residents of Germany what that
>"Swans, swans, more swans" might mean, and they didn't know.  My official
>guess:  The audience is not speaking German and may be unsuccessfully
>trying to say something in English.

I think they're shouting "Spark, Spark" to get the band to play "Low
Spark"

> Thing #2:  On "Freedom Rider":  "See children gathering in the street /
> While hoping that" WHAT?  Their hips are neat?  The hooks have meat?

"While hoping that the puzzle fits."

Scott

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From:           	"Peter Noss (petern)"
Subject:        	RE: Opening Bands
Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:56:06 -0700

was Sonia Dada - a great party band.

Are there any plans ever for an official live release from the 94 tour?
This was a great, great tour.  Unfortunately, Traffic decided to reform
the same year many other reunions made demands of people's wallets for far
more unfair amounts of money, which cost Traffic.

The Eagles and Barbra Streisand both turned concert ticket prices upside
down in 1994, causing people to become more cautious about where their
entertainment dollars go.

I've seen the Woodstock 94 tape, but it would be great to have
professional live recordings of John Barleycorn and So Uninspired from 94.
 Those two songs were true emotional highlights of the show.  There is one
pro-recording - a live, rehearsal version of 40K Headmen - awesome,
awesome.  Is there anything else out there?

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:00:13 -0500
From:           	SVK
Subject:        	Re: Opening Bands

>From:           	Steven Robert Seim
>Subject:        	94 Traffic openers
>
>Just out of curiosity--does anyone know who the opening act was for the
>1994 Far From Home tour (if it makes a difference, I saw them at the
>Minneapolis show)?

It DOES matter.  They used different opening acts in different parts of
the country.  Here in Nashville it was the Subdudes. --shannon
vankirks@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From:           	"BobbieG."
Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:14:23 -0700
Subject:        	Re: Opening Bands

It was Sonia Dada in Phoenix - they were great.

Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:52:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	thesonics@earthlink.net (jay siekierski)
Subject:        	Extra SW items up for grabs.

Hi J7 here

I recently moved back to S.F. Ca. and found some rare SW items (extras)
I'm parting with. Radio show LP's & Songbooks, Posters & Sheet music. Mail
me for info & $ if interested. Thxs

The Sonics All Music Site. Published By Jay Siekierski
http://home.earthlink.net/~thesonics

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From:           	SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:27:19 EDT
Subject:        	Re: 94 Traffic Openers

> Just out of curiosity--does anyone know who the opening act was for the
>  1994 Far From Home tour (if it makes a difference, I saw them at the
>  Minneapolis show)?

If I remember correctly, when I saw Traffic at the Bonner Springs, KS show, Sonia Dada was opening...We
got there late and did not see them, but I heard that they were pretty good.

andrea

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Subject:        	Re: Heaven Is In Your Mind.
From:           	Paul Minkkinen
Date sent:      	Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:29:08 +0100

re 'Heaven Is In Your Mind"; Track listing: Pearly Queen, Heaven Is In Your Mind, Medicated Goo, 40000
Headmen, John Barleycorn, Empty pages, Feelin Alright ? Uninspired, Dear Mr. Fantasy (live -Canteen
album version, light up, Low Spark, Dream Gerrard.

No unreleased trcks but 12 page booklet and some rather fine photographs quite a few of which I have not
seen before, the front cover is of the 3 piece line - up with a fresh faced young Stevie clutching an
inflatable blue bunny, Chris looks about 14 years old and Jim looks moody in his cool suede jacket. Also a
great picture including Dave Mason swanning about under the Eiffel Tower. Extensive sleevenotes are
included in the  booklet and it has to be said this is an imaginative compilation avoiding some of the all too
obvious choices highlighting the more musical side of the band. Also my 2 favourites are on there LOW
SPARK  & Dream Gerrard.

I got my name on the credits under special thanks which was bit of a buzz, a funny feeling getting your
name on an album sleeve by your favourite band. Think I need to lay down in a darkened room.

Paul

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date sent:      	Mon, 19 Oct 1998 02:50:48 -0500
From:           	Craig Richards
Subject:        	Winwood, Traffic merchandise

For those of you looking for Traffic and Steve Winwood merchandise, check out http://www.eBay.com
the web's largest on-line auction. I've found concert posters, programs, t-shirts, rare recordings, gold cds,
bootlegs and many other hard-to-find items.. Lately things have been selling at give-away prices or they are
not getting sold because no one has bid on them. You have to beome a registered buyer, which entails
filling out an on-line form with your name, address, phone number, etc. The easiest way to find the
Winwood and Traffic items is to use their search function. Have fun shopping!

Craig in Kansas City

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From:           	Mark
Subject:        	Re: Opening Bands
Date sent:      	Tue, 20 Oct 98 22:09:53 PDT

I don't know about Minneapolis, but in Pensacola it was Sonia Dada.

Markmc

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date sent:      	Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:29:57 -0400
From:           	Trafficologist (Ted G)
Subject:        	I'm A Man lyrics

You know that lengthy cover of "I'm A Man" that was a big hit for Chicago circa 1970?  Well, apparently,
Chicago never knew what the song's correct lyrics were and always just sang what they thought they heard.
Check out the words as given in http://www.chirecords.com/titles/chic-01.htm. (This is not exactly what
Chicago sings, but it's close -- on the 3rd verse, for example, I think they actually say "If I drop down on
my knees it's just to keep up off my nose".)  Then compare them to the correct lyrics as given in
http://www.stevewinwood.com/bottom/lyrics/i'm_a_man.html. Oh, well...

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date sent:      	Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:13:13 +1000
From:           	PETER NUTTALL
Subject:        	Random comments

Hi there everybody, haven’t had much time these last few months to
contribute, ‘though I have been reading the posts.  A few random
thoughts on recent postings.

Shoot Out: I bought my album copy the day it was released in 1973, I timed RRS at approximately 11:40
but, if you turn the volume full on it might get to the 11:47 mentioned on the CD (mine is the gold CD) and
to me it seems to end at the same point.  Interestingly, the album is ILPS 9924 (UK release). As for a longer
version, that’s news to me.

OTR: Also bought day of release 1973, double album, road signs et al, the label colour is grey featuring the
Traffic logo next to a traffic light in a street scene with London taxi and double-decker bus but, mine has
the full version of Low Spark with crescendo finale. The album is ISLD.2 in large bold letters but, each
record is also numbered, ISLD 3.1 with further identification Mat 3.1 A/Mat 3.1 B and ISLD 3.2 further
Mat 3.2 A/Mat 3.2 B, do any of these numbers match up with the single album release? The words on
Freedom Rider seem to be “See children gathering in the street/While hoping that they’ll lose something”.
I agree that the recording suffers from technical limitations but on the whole was an improvement on
WTTC.  I caught this tour in Manchester, only this concert was marred by Chris’ almost zero contribution,
drunk or drugged, he spent most of the time sitting on the edge of the stage, occasionally arguing with
members of the audience, however, Steve played Tragic Magic on guitar which helped to make up for that.
Uninspired was the highlight for me, and this is also my favourite track on the album (this was one of my
top 5 Traffic songs).

WTTC: I really like this album, and I think it reinforces the idea that Dave Mason’s songs benefited greatly
from Steve’s presence.  The organ on SHTMTYG lifts the number way above the version on Alone
Together, not to mention the short but effective vocal contribution. The word at the time was that Traffic
would get some bad publicity if they refused to do the gig, it was, after all, a Benefit Concert.

To newer or younger Steve fans some of this stuff may seem a bit long or rambling, one has to take into
consideration the culture at the time, psychedelia and pot, a lot of people, musicians and fans alike, played
or listened to music in an altered state of mind.  Traffic’s music of this period seemed to ‘float”, unlike the
more direct music of the first albums up to and including JBMD.  This of course is just my opinion but,
there are definite differences in the musical content and line ups of Traffic.

Low Spark:  My favourite version of this song was performed at the Reading Festival, August 1974, Steve:
electric piano, Chris: flute, Rosko: bass, Jim: drums.  This was so different from any I’d heard before, less
cluttered with more room for expression.

Virgin:  Does it matter?  I don’t think he’s produced his best music while working for them, I’m not saying
I don’t like the albums, I do, very much.  Far From Home is the best thing since BITHL and I’m sure will
prove to be one of THE great Traffic albums, the title song, Here Comes A Man, State Of Grace, Holy
Ground, all fantastic numbers.  The big let down for me was J7, I rarely play it (my wife does regularly,
when I’m not home), I think they went for the wrong market (as I said in an earlier post) no promotion or
marketing was ever going to work. I might take a lot of flak for that comment, so be it, I still consider
myself to be his biggest fan, and I hope he will go on to better things.

Does anyone know the difference (apart from the price) of the Japanese import (in the US) of JBMD?  I’ve
been hanging out for a gold CD of this. Also, does anyone know where I can get hold of the Blind Faith
gold CD.

Footnote:  Heaven forbid that he gives up performing, after all, he didn’t make it to this part of the world
during the J7 tour, and I haven’t seen him perform since the Reading gig. I live in hope!!!

Peter

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From:           	Winwoodie@aol.com
Date sent:      	Sun, 25 Oct 1998 03:54:51 EST
Subject:        	Coloured Rain in the US

'm taking on the task of sending out 'Coloured Rain' to North America. This will result in a price reduction
for subscribers here in the USA. Postage from Norway is very expensive.  Sending it from the US will
allow for a reduction in costs by 1/3.  So 3 issues will be sent for $10 instead of $15. I am proud to be
associated with such an informative & long running fanzine about SW & Traffic.  If you are not currently
subscribing to 'Coloured Rain' now would be a good time to do so since a new issue is due very soon.  If
you live in No. America & want to subscribe please send $10 by check or money order (please do not send
cash through the mail) to Craig Loudon, 14417 Chase St. # 166, Panorama City, CA 91402.  If you live in
the UK please contact Paul at: Minkkinen@btinternet.com    If you live anywhere else in the world please
contact Jan at: jan.inge.sommerseth@nrk.no

Craig Loudon

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13
From:           	Paul Frenette
Subject:        	Back in the High Life
Date sent:      	Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:23:15 -0700

Listening the other nite to SW playing "The Finer Things" , man, that song always sends a shiver down my
spine EVERY time I play it. I still think Back in the High Life was his ultimate works and J7 probably at
the bottom. I hope his next is more back to his roots. I think J7 was a good album from the point of view of
trying out many different styles of music, but for this listener, the music from his mid term is still his best,
timeless, not copied by anyone else. There was a sense of need and wanting in that album, not repeated
since.

Savor the throne but don't mind the stool!

Paul Frenette

14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14
Date sent:      	Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:16:48 -0500
From:           	Bob Craig
Subject:        	Dream Set List

Hi folks,

Like many of you here, along with being a big Winwood fan, Clapton run parallel to SW regarding how I
follow the artist and the music.  I also subscribe to the EC mailing list on the net (if interested in the
address, let me know privately and I'll send it along.)  A recent conversation there turned to "dream shows",
including set lists and musicians. Personally, I wish he would let SW have more of his dream, but that's for
another day.  I thought you would enjoy this one from that list..................

Subject: Dream Set List from Joe

1)   Layla - Electric
2)   Why Does Love Have To Be So Sad
3)   Tales Of Brave Ulysses
4)   White Room
5)   Presence Of The Lord
6)   Born Under A Bad Sign
7)   Badge
8)   Politician
9)   Let It Rain
10) Have You Ever Loved A Woman
11) Five Long Years
12) I'm Tore Down
13) Got To Get Better In A Little While
14) Bell Bottom Blues - with alot of aggressive guitar
15) Bottle Of Red Wine - with alot of guitar
16) Sweet Home Chicago - Clapton and Winwood guitar duel
17) Crossroads - blistering fast version
18) Sunshine Of Your Love - no drum solo with extended, no-letup guitar
solo
19) Further On Up The Road - no drum solo, nice shuffle rhythm with
no slowdown in tempo. Just tearin it up.
20) Ain't Nobody's Business - just like FTC tour

Would love the band to be the following:

Eric Clapton - Lead Guitar, Lead Vocals
Jack Bruce - Bass, Harmonica, Supporting Vocals
Steve Winwood - 2nd Lead Guitar, Keyboards, Supporting Vocals
Ginger Baker - Drums
Greg Philliganes - Piano
Tessa Niles - Backup Vocals
Katie Kissoon - Backup Vocals
Steve Gadd - 2nd Drums

If wishes could come true !!!!!!!!

15*15*15*15*15*15*15*15*15*15
From:           	sohi@aabc.dk
Subject:        	Reviews in Q Magazine
Date sent:      	Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:45:44 +0100

The British magazine Q has some reviews of Steve's albums in their
17,000 review database.

Go to http://www.qonline.co.uk/

and search by artist. Then you will get the reviews.

love
Soren

[When I received Soren's post, I searched that site and linked directly to the reviews from the SP site.
Please see http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/album-rev.htm   --BG]

End of volume 143