VOLUME 139, sent August 21, 1998

Topics in this issue:
  1. Re: Smiling Phases, volume 138
  2. Re: Summer Listening
  3. RE: Trafficology
  4. Replies & Trafficology Part 3
  5. Session Work - Oldfield / Faithfull / Jackson
  6. Re: First Traffic album
  7. Lennon tribute album
  8.  voting stuff
  9. Festival Express Movie
 10. First Annual Convention

From:           	Winwoodie@aol.com
Date sent:      	Sun, 9 Aug 1998 01:37:06 EDT
Subject:        	Re: Smiling Phases, volume 138

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in by replying to a couple of posts in SP #138.

First to Dawn's call to put our Wood en heads together & come up with a name
for ourselves.  About a year & a half ago we touched on this in the SP chatroom.
Right after that I started calling myself a Winwoodie. (Winwoody was already
taken on AOL).  I decided this was better than any Traffic related names since I
like all SW's music including SDG, Traffic, Blind Faith, etc & solo stuff.  It is
also a play on words of the Muff Woody Jazz Band.    I would sure like to see
some incarnation of that band someday!  This is offered as another possible
name.  Anyone can call themselves this if they want to (or anything else for that
matter).   "Here's a little song you can all join in with..."

I would also like to agree with Mike that a release of the American version of the
Mr. Fantasy CD is long over due.   We "grew up" on that music in the order it
was on the original American LP.   A  couple years ago I made myself & a friend
a tape each with the songs back in the original order that we were used to.  I used
"Traffic Control" for the missing parts from the UK version. Although it is very
nice to listen to again in that order it lacks the background music between the
tracks which is part of the "magic" of the original American LP.

Craig Loudon

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From:           	LesterJake@aol.com
Date sent:      	Sun, 9 Aug 1998 16:34:55 EDT
Subject:        	Re: Summer Listening

Regarding the Summer Listening post in Vol. 136, I have always been very
partial to Steve's extraordinary vocal and keyboard work on Stomu Yamashta's
Go, a 1976 jazz-fusion effort featuring Michael Shrive on drum kits and Klaus
Schultze (sp?) on synth (Island 9387).  Some of the album has a Eurojam feel to
it, very spacey (the album cover shows a starry sky over a desert), but the
rock/jazz songs are very powerful, particularly Crossing the Line and  Man of
Leo.  Steve's contributions are central, and  give the album a very progressive
Traffic flavor.  He also wrote one fine song (rare in that there is no co-lyricist),
Winner/Loser.  The band apparently toured, because about a year later a two-
album live-from-Paris set was released (also on Island), with extended versions of
the same song list, arguably even stronger than the original album.  While it is a
shame that (to my knowledge) Go has never been released on CD (although many
other Stomu Yamashta LPs are), some numbers from Go can be found on various
Winwood CD compilations.  For Traffic and Winwood fans, the original albums
are definitely worth seeking out.

Les

[You are right, neither album has ever been released on CD, although we've been
hearing rumors for years that release is imminent. Both LPs were released in
1976.  The only compilation CD that tracks from "Go" appear on, is The Finer
Things, the 4-CD box set, which includes "Winner/Loser" from the studio album
and "Crossing the Line" from the live album.  --BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From:           	"Steven Tidwell"
Subject:        	RE: Trafficology
Date sent:      	Mon, 10 Aug 1998 00:39:51 -0700

When "Welcome To The Canteen" came out Rolling Stone mag speculated about
the name Traffic not being on the cover and what that meant.  I think someone
just goofed.  True, Mason's status was in question.  He was asked if he wanted to
stay with the expanded version of the band and he said he'd love to but it wasn't
his decision ("It's Steve's band," he said).

BUT...whether leaving the name off the album was deliberate or not, the Traffic
symbol WAS on the cover, and that was enough for me.

Other things: I doubt the American version of Mr. Fantasy will EVER be released
on CD and I too would love to see it.  I loved the title for the trailing end of
"Paper Sun" on the B side: "We're A Fade, You Missed This". And all those faint
segues between tracks were all taken from the fade out of the title song from the
"Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush" album.  I think the only chance of
seeing that on CD is if someone copies the LP to CD themselves (I know it's on
my list).

And just why:

1) Did the cover to "John Barleycorn" change from the yellow burlap to
plain gray?  (Without the inside picture?)

2) Did they change the running order of "Low Spark"?

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date sent:      	Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:11:41 -0400
From:           	Ted G
Subject:  	Replies & Trafficology Part 3