Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:05:08 -0400
From: Bob Craig
Subject: Tape Trading

Greetings SP'ers,

As we all know, it's been way too quiet on the SW front
these days. When they fold up the tents, they were not
kidding!  To stir up a little action, I would like to offer
the group a live tape opportunity that would encompass the
past and present of SW's career.  We can all use some new
SW to listen to!!

Here's how it will work.  I will take 7 (for J7) names to
make tapes for.  To acquire these tapes, you MUST commit to
posting the same offer on the list and make duplications of
these tapes for up to four people. Doing this way, we do
not have to have a formal structure, which can lead to
frustration.  This is simple.  I make tapes for you and you
will make tapes for others.

The shows to be used are:

Steve Winwood - Loreley Amplitheater, St. Goarshausen,
Germany, 6/22/97, 90 min.

Traffic - Winterland, San Francisco, CA 1/8/73 90 min.

The 1997 show is from a European TV broadcast and is of
excellent quality.  The 1973 show is from a soundboard tape
and, though not perfect, is a fine example of that version
of Traffic.

To partake in this offer, please send to me the sign-up
sheet below.  I will respond to the seven who make the cut
and agree to continue the offer.  All others, please stand
by as your chance for this will soon be here.  I will
provide remaining details to those I will be making tapes
for.

***************************cut*****************************
Name:
e-mail address:
Location:
Number of tapes willing to make (up to 4):
Comments:
*************************cut*******************************

Should you have any questions, please contact me privately
at rollcstr@tiac.net for additional information.  Ready,
set, go!

Bob Craig

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:27:22 -0600
From: SVK
Subject: Happy Birthday THIS, Steve!

On page 18 of the current Modern Maturity is a feature
called "The Big Five-Oh" about famous folks who are turning
50.  Included is:

"May 12.  "Stevie" Winwood was 14 when Spencer Davis
discovered his "blue-eyed soul" sound.  Today, as one
writer has said, Winwood still looks young enough to be
carded in the clubs he plays."

This is probably Steve's first appearance in the magazine
published by AARP!

--Shannon

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:05:22 -0700
Subject: Birthday Greetings, SP'ers' Web-sites,  & SP
hiatus

If you haven't yet seen it, I compiled, printed, uploaded,
and snail-mailed the Birthday Greetings to Steve today (May
13). You can check out the results at
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/birthday.htm
Thanks to all who participated!

This seems to be the time for Spers to develop web-sites,
for some reason! The following people have sent the
addresses for their sites, and I have linked to them from
the Subscribers' Web-sites Page
(http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/sub-web.htm) Why not
visit their sites, and let them know what you think? We all
encourage each other, people! Remember, if you have a web-
site and don't see it listed on the Subscribers' Web-sites
page, drop me a line and I'll add it; it does not have to
be Winwood- or music-related in any way.

Anthony
Craig (the "Chronicles" fanzine site)
Michael
Susan
 (And Eddie reports that he will upload one this month.)

I'd also like to announce that SP will be going on hiatus
for the month of June. I'm going to be gone most of that
month anyway (a beach in Mexico, northern Arizona, and
Boulder, Colorado, to see my sister) and with the posts
slowing to a trickle, it seems like a good idea to re-group
and refresh. I will keep sending SPs in May, as long as I
have posts.

During June, I will be checking email irregularly, so if
you want to send me posts, I'll still accumulate them into
the folder, to send in July. If anybody has something
*really* important to communicate, let me know and I'll put
it on the web-site as soon as I see it.

Everyone rest up and we'll get going again in July! :-)

Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: Dean Hatton
Date: Thursday, April 16, 1998 8:37 PM
Subject: Steve Winwood On The Midnight Special

Steve Winwood once played with Alvin Lee & Mylon LeFevre on
the weekly NBC-TV rock show The Midnight Special. The
performance was held at the "Rainbow Room" of the London
department store Biba. The band included Steve Winwood and
George Harrison. They sang Rockin' Til The Sun Goes Down
and two others. (This show has remained unreleased to
date). I've asked Paul Brownstein Productions if it will
ever be released or shown on TV And his reply was, No.

If you would like to see this as bad as I do, Then lets
flood Paul Brownstein Productions with E-mail asking for
its release.

You can do so by writing to: studio@tvclassics.com
Thanks,
Dean

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:56:38 -0500
From: Dawn
Subject: SP'ers creativity

Hey everybody,

While chatting with some other SPers, it occurred to me
that there are a LOT of creative types in this SP little
family.  Anyone who's seen Bobbie's site knows that she
embroiders, and obviously creates webpages, among things.
For my own part, I make jewelry, work in acrylic clay, and
am involved with theatre.  Craig designed the Smiling
Phases tee-shirts, and most likely has other creative
pursuits. I remember "Operanut" mentioned gospel choir.
Now I hear that another SPer weaves.  Many, many of you
designed your own webpages, and there are countless
musicians on the list.

See where I'm going?  It just got me wondering if this is a
trend.  Is there a preponderance of creative types on this
newsletter list?  And if so, why do you suppose that Steve
draws such a group amongst his diehards?

If you are so inclined, I would love to see what else you
people out there do, and see if this hunch is correct.
We've all heard that Steve is considered a "musician's
musician".  I'm just wondering if his fans make him the
"creative person's musician" too!

Peace,
Dawn

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:38:27 -0500
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: Led Zeppelin?

Now that J7/tour news is over, I thought I'd throw in a
more off-beat question.

Has anyone ever heard the rumor that SW might have been in
Led Zeppelin?  A BMG newsletter I received a couple years
ago had this item:  "After the breakup of the Yardbirds in
1968, Jimmy Page originally called his new band The New
Yardbirds.  Their eventual name was suggested by members of
The Who, Keith Moon and John Entwistle, who wanted to start
a new band with Page and Steve Winwood...."

It would have been interesting had it happened.  I'm not a
fan of Zeppelin (I think mostly because I don't like Robert
Plant's voice), but they did make some good music, and SW
would have been a great addition.  I'd love to hear SW sing
"Fool in the Rain," probably their one song that needs no
improvement, and he certainly could have improved some of
the others.

Steve Seim

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 22:18:40 -0500
From: Dawn
Subject: Moral compass

It is very often difficult to ascertain what is the "right"
thing to do. It is even more difficult, once you've
discovered what is right, to do it. Society, family, peers,
the little guy with the pitchfork on one shoulder, may all
call to you to do the fun thing, the easy thing, the
profitable thing, which makes hanging onto one's moral
compass a very tricky thing these days.

Of course, we have all discussed here the marked change in
the tenor of Steve's songs towards the spiritual, and
certainly we've all noticed that the happiness of his
family life seems to have truly brightened his outlook.
Another thing that seems certain, is that Steve is an
anomaly in the rock world, being a church-going family man
and all.

I noticed that in the Birthday greetings (which were
absolutely beautiful, you guys) that some of you say thanks
to Steve for witnessing his faith publicly.  That in and of
itself is remarkable, but it's not just a liner note on an
album, or the obvious religious references in lyrics.  It's
an entire lifestyle.

Imagine the pressure from all sides on a musician of his
stature, especially a ROCK musician, against just the sort
of values that he has come to embrace!  Making a lifestyle
choice of this magnitude, in his shoes, has got to really
have an effect on the people around him.  That may not
always be a positive effect, either.

No one could *reasonably* expect that Steve as a 50 year
old man would be the same as the 17 year old kid who ran
around jamming with everyone until the sun came up.  But
unfortunately, in the rock music world, the expectation is
that musicians should hover in that netherworld of
perpetual immaturity and decadence.  And so, as
unreasonable as it is, I suspect that some people DID
expect him to remain the same.  And, for those in his peer
group that may have remained in that netherworld, Steve's
spiritual awakening may be off-putting, and maybe even
frightening.

One of the things that I admire about Steve is that he
seems, through all the pressure, to have held onto his
moral compass, and continues to do so. Good for you, boy!

Peace,
Dawn

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: PBurr10505
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 22:46:34 EDT
Subject: Atlanta concert

Just got back a few hours ago from Atlanta and it was a
quick day and a half. Here is the set list (I will try to
e-mail another post later).  Really similar to the set list
from last year with a few changes.

I'm A Man
Roll With It
Freedom Overspill
While You See A Chance
Let Your Love Come Down
40,000 Headmen
Gotta Get Back To My Baby
Can't Find My Way Home
Low Spark (good crowd reaction)
Glad
Dear Mr. Fantasy (this really sounded great!!)
???(I need some help here, I recognized some of the lyrics,
but with the Latin spin on it I could not place the song,
I'm soooo ashamed!! and I call myself a FAN!!!)
The Finer Things (crowd really enjoyed this song)
Family Affair
Just Wanna Have Some Fun
Higher Love
Back In The High Life
Gimme Some Lovin

So all totaled, 18 songs in about 2 1/2 hours on a warm and
muggy nite, but well worth the sweat.  They do concerts
(the local people that is) at Chastain Park a little
different than most places.  Please let me know as soon as
you can what the one song I couldn't figure out, it is
about to drive me crazy!!

Phil

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 12:37:42 -0400
From: "Morgan, Lanny W"
Subject: Steve Winwood Concert @ Chastain Park, 16 May 1998

Well, first of all Steve opened up the almost two hour
concert performing (with a 10 piece group).... I'm a Man.
He played (all of my favourite Traffic tunes); Low Spark of
High Heeled Boys, Mr. Fantasy, 40,000 Headmen, instrumental
Glad, Blind Faiths', Can't Find My Way Home, and his solo
hits, Higher Love, Every Day (Oh Lord), Roll With It and a
few tracks from Junction Seven. Towards the end of the
show, the band played a go 'round of solos and Steve
introduced each member with a gesture of love and
admiration. Then his young lead guitarist steps up to the
microphone and confessed to Steve and the audience that he
had an announcement... which was not planned. He asked the
crowd if we would all join in to sing happy birthday to
Steve! So, Steve with his shyness and good-natured wit
appeared to be taken by the moment! He beamed with his
boyish grin of 50 years young and held out his arms lost
with words and waved to the crowd and thanked us!  He
closed out the show with two encore numbers, Back in the
High Life Again,(Steve on mandolin) and Gimme Some Lovin'.
By this time not a single person was standing still...(even
a 54-year-old grandfather who was seated in front of me)!
Lastly, an observation...I think the most impressive thing
about Steve is his respect of his band, the audience and
even himself. It is rare today within this forever changing
music industry,(which has changed so much when Traffic
appeared on the scene),to witness a performer who
authentically appears to be almost a "servant" if you will,
to his profession! In effect, the treatment of his music
reflects that feeling. His humble and selfless spirit is so
refreshing. It was an honor to see Steve in Atlanta, in
1998. I am sorry others could not have had the opportunity
to see him perform this tour...(God bless him)!    (P.S. I
am sorry if I did not provide more details for some of you
who might have further questions of the Chastain
concert...E-mail if you would like to submit questions,
I'll do my best to try and answer them!).

Thank you,
Lanny

[Lanny, I think we would *all* like to hear as much as
possible about the concert, so when you get questions and
you answer them, please 'copy' me on the reply, and I'll
put them into SP!  -BG]