From: BobbyM3228
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:24:24 EST
Subject: Bobby Messano here

Bobbie, my CD ":Dominion Roads" came out last week...Reaction has been
GREAT and we're getting some radio adds already. I'm pretty much living in
Nashville already (haven't seen Steve yet) and I'm playing the very cool River
Stages Festival here on May 2nd with Bonnie Raitt and Delbert. Could you get
my AOL Web address (until my new page is up ) to the smiling phases people.
Check it out too, it's pretty neat....address is:
http://members.aol.com/BobbyM3228/Messano.html

Bobby

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: Opera nut
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:57:26 EST
Subject: Re: Will Jennings

Did anyone else see the Oscar telecast?  I was glad I got to see the suckwad
lyricist responsible for the crummy lyrics to "My Heart Will Go On", who I
guess has moved on to bigger and better things from his days writing semi-
suckwad lyrics for Steve.  I saw his name in the credits at the end of Titanic
and went "Yep. Same guy."

Sharon

PS: SHAMELESS PLUG FOR TITANIC FANS:
Check out my Titanic parody page:  Titragic -The Weepie at:
 http://members.aol.com/operanut/titrlogo.htm

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: SayOnceMor
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:57:48 EST
Subject: Re: EC meets Puff Daddy

>  Some of you might remember my criticism of Junction 7 as straying
>  too far from traditional R&B towards modern R&B/pop.  Eric
>  Clapton's new release, Pilgrim, suffers from the same musical
>  disease.  Only this time, the patient's condition appears
>  critical.  The similarities between the two albums are almost
>  eerie.  Stop me if you've heard this one:
>  At least with Junction 7, our hero's true sound somehow manages
>  to shine through.  SW was wading knee deep in overproduced
>  musical muck.  EC is up to his chin in it.  Only a handful of the
>  14 tracks (e.g. River of Tears, Fall Like Rain, Sick and Tired)
>  are recognizable Clapton.  EC may only rate a far distant second
>  to SW on my list, but it's still sad.

The big difference between J7 and Pilgrim is that J7 was at least listenable...
I've made it completely through Pilgrim maybe once...Now, it's been awhile
since I've listened to J7, but from what I remember it wasn't quite so R&B, hip-
hop crap.  I've heard it described best as Eric Clapton trying to be black...and
not black blues, but black hip-hop...it doesn't work!!!  Steve at least sounded
like himself on J7, EC doesn't sound anything like himself...very disappointing.
But, I'm going to see EC in concert Thursday night, and I'm praying that he
doesn't play a lot of new crap...we'll see, huh?? :-)

andrea

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:23:51 -0500
From: Bob Craig

As an EC fan, I must concur with the comments posted on this. Though I feel
Pilgrim is a better CD than J7, and that is only because of EC's personal
involvement with the tunes and their meaning.  On both, the R&B concept is
just way too packaged and slick.  Now, let's get these guys together, use Booker
T and the MG's as a backing band, and tah-dah, real R&B.  I'm sorry, but I
have been listening to a bunch of 1994 Traffic shows and something happened
right after that tour.  These guys really sounded great together!

Bob

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: BalletStks
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:09:00 EST
Subject: Re: Capaldi's drums

I guess I should stop beating a dead horse, but it seems that no-one involved
with Traffic knows or cares about Jim Capaldi's drums. Please if anyone knows
someone who might have knowledge of Jim's equipment PLEASE answer my E
mail!!!! Thanks for giving me this avenue to try my Quest,

Sincerely,
Bart

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 23:48:29 -0800
From: Steven Tidwell
Subject: The War of "The Tour"

There's been so much talk about the Capaldi/Mason tour, what it means about
Traffic and Winwood and who, if anyone, is zooming whom, people taking
sides, even getting testy about it.  I promised myself I wouldn't jump into this
but I changed my mind (a probable mistake), just to say, very gently, "Give it a
rest, guys."  It's taking fandom too far when you start losing friends over it.

The whole thing smacks of misunderstandings.  So maybe the posters
mentioned "Traffic co-founders", and they sang some of Winwood's songs,
some of their own, some Winwood/Capaldi songs.  It's not like when Fleetwood
Mac's manager claimed he owned the name, fired the band, and booked a
Fleetwood Mac tour with a bunch of unknowns.  (Real interesting tale, too, but
that's another story entirely....)

These guys at least actually were in Traffic, after all.  And rock musicians cover
other people's stuff all the time.  Hendrix did Dylan, Cocker did Mason, the
Byrds did Dylan, Manfred Mann did Springsteen (and Dylan), Mason did
Dylan (same stuff Hendrix did), Rod Stewart did Rare Earth (and Dylan),
Fairport Convention and Sandy Denny did Dylan, Judy Collins did Joni
Mitchell and Sandy Denny and Dylan (while diddling C,S,&N as well), the
Who did Mose Allison and the Stones (didn't do Dylan, as far as I know), even
Dylan did Dylan (many times) and I haven't even got past 1970.

And maybe Jim and Dave said stuff about who did what and all, and maybe it
was kidding or maybe they were just in their cups, who knows?  Does it matter
to us?  Should it?  If there's any animosity involved, let it be between Jim and
Dave and Steve, not us.

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 07:08:23 -0700
From: ken gay
Subject: Fwd: High Fidelity Wiring

I just ran across this and thought you might be interested in how to improve
your audio systems...

Wizardry With Wire

At least for the present, we still need wire to connect up most audio  equipment.
Here are a few application tips on selecting and getting the best performance
from wire.

Check any good handbook of physical constants and you will find that silver
has much lower resistivity than copper. In fact silver has the lowest resistivity
of anything which is solid at room temperature and is thus suitable for making
wires. However, from a cost perspective, the practical solution is to use thicker
copper wire. Still, to avoid the debilitating nature of skin effects, the best
solution is to use silver plated copper wire. Of course, not to be overlooked is
the fact that copper is reddish, and so will tend to brighten or warm up the
sound; while silver, being white, will tend towards a neutral presentation,
which can be tweaked towards brightness by selective use of gold-plated jacks
and plugs.

The type of wire insulation used can grossly affect sound quality. For example,
rubber-type insulations act as shock absorbers that dampen dynamic peaks
(such as turning the crack of a rim shot into something more like a thud). They
also have a high coefficient of friction which slows the passage of sound
through the wire causing the musical pitch to be lower. To counteract this
effect, musical groups have to tune to a concert A as high as 450 Hz in order to
for the correct musical pitch to be reproduced through the sound system. The
best wire insulation is Teflon which is a very firm material with a very low
coefficient of friction. This allows the sound to slide easily through the wires
without dampening the peaks or slowing it down.

The colors of wire insulation should be selected according to light spectrum
wavelengths and absorption. Generally bright colors are reflective. Therefore
bright colored insulation will reduce high frequency loses by reflecting HF
audio back into the wires thus maintaining clarity and brightness. Dark,
absorptive colors should be used for low frequency wire insulation. By
absorbing and carrying some of the low frequency energy dark colored
insulation actually increases the effective diameter of the conductor - a good
thing for improving the high current flow needed at low frequencies.

You should also rack your signal sources above your amplifiers, and rack the
amplifiers higher than the loudspeakers. This is so that the electrons don't have
to struggle uphill through the wires to get the sound out. You'd be amazed at
the difference that can make. Also, both speakers should be off to the same side
of the amp, so that the loudspeaker cables are subject to the same Coriolis
forces owing to the earth's rotation; failure to observe this can result in truly
nasty phase shifts.

Ken

[Please note the date of this post. --BG]

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:03:46 -0700
Subject: March stats and A Call for Greetings

Current number of Subscribers - 346
# of Unsubscribes - 7
# of Subscribes - 7
Address changes - 1

# of volumes sent - 3
# of posts - 26
Average length = 16KB

Yep, SPers, it's that time of year again! The Third Annual Birthday Greetings.
Steve will turn 50 on May 12, and I would like you all to send me your birthday
greetings to him! Email me your message to Steve, such as you would write on
a birthday card (please no novellas, 'kay? ), and I will print them out and
snail-mail them to Steve like a big birthday card.  Hopefully this year, it will
actually be on time.

If you'd like to see what was written last year, just to get the creative juices
flowing, check them out on the web-site:
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/birthday.htm

Soren and I are working on a birthday-present project. More details as we iron
them out.