From: Mark
Subject: Re: Low Spark
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 98 20:51:31 PST

Sometimes I disagree with something that someone has stated and think to
myself "well that's their opinion". However how Steven could say almost half of
Low Spark was substandard is beyond me. What songs on LS are? Low spark
itself? how about rainmaker? maybe light up or hidden treasure? Possibly rock
and roll stew. Now many a mile may be a weak cut. Gees, this has been one of
my favorite since I first head it.

Regards
Markmc

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 17:17:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Friday 13, the greatest day yet.

It was a cold day in Boston that day. Me and my friend Erim took the T to the
South station to see 2 legends perform in Hartford CT. We wanted to be the
first ones to get in , so we arrived at the Webster theatre at 4.00 PM, essentially
there was no body, 5 minutes after we were there the tour bus stopped next to
the theatre, i could not believe it. First a middle aged guy with long hair came
down, and he shook my hand, then he understood that i was not working there,
he looked at me and said "never mind". then i asked another guy who they
were, and he said "Dave Mason band", i was in a state of shock, i asked him
whether Capaldi and Mason would show up after the show, he said check with
the guy who got down the bus first. i ran in the theater and asked him whether
he was John Taylor, Jim Capaldi's manager, it was incredible, it was him, i
intro my self, and we chatted for a while, and he said they will show up, of
course we were very excited about that.

We hanged around the bus for a while expecting Capaldi to show up, but they
were not there. we started to walk around and then around 6.00 we bought our
tickets and started to wait at the door inside. By 6.50 people started to show up,
and we were at the front, i was lovin it. While we were waiting  a long haired
dude with a guitar in his hand came to the box office asking for the back door,
he was the guitar player for Al Stewart. then he left. at 7.30 we finally got in,
they did not even check our bags for a camera or something. we sat at the very
front, stationing ourselves for the great moment. There was a bar at the back as
well , it was a cool venue actually.  We heard that Al Stewart was going to
show up at 9.00 so we started to wait, i got a Bud for my self at the bar, and
then i saw that guitar player for Mr. Stewart, I intro my self and we started to
chat, he said last night in New York, Steve Winwood showed up and played on
Fantasy and Gimme Some Lovin, i was thrilled, he said he enjoyed the tour and
that it was great. I thanked him, and told people about SW showing up the
night before. I met some great fans, the age average was 37 probably so again
here i was 23.

Al started at 9.00, only him and the guitarist, it was cool, but i did not have the
nerves to wait more. Finally at 10.30, they come up the stage, i will never
forget that entrance, Capaldi was in total black with white sport shoes, Mason
had his famous hat and Indian look a like dress, they looked so awesome,
Capaldi had  this grey haired fatherlylike look, he was the "Lord of the street". I
was not believing it.

Ok, first the song list:

1 Pearly Queen, Dave sang this one, it was a great opener.
2 World in changes, great stuff,
3 40.000, before beginning JC said this one is for Chris and i went crazy with
everyone else. he was on drums on this one as well, they shared the vocals, the
stronger parts were sung by Mason. (You know what i mean)
4 Love will keep us alive, JC picked up the acoustic guitar for this one and
talked a little on it, about Henley and stuff, and sang it right in front of me,
beautifully.

then guess what they played, i was in total tears for that one. (Oh my
god, oh my god)

5 Sad and deep as you, Dave said, "wow i may have forgotten this one"> it was
fantastic, shivers at my spine. JC was at the percussion for this.
6 Should not have took......, Dave said that this one was for Lennon, and in the
middle he shifted to a Lennon song, then tied it back, it was so good, i felt i was
in 1971 listening to "canteen".

7 Jim got the Acoustic again, and started to talk about Michael J Pollard, then  i
immediately shouted "Low Spark", he looked at me and smiled , and began
singing the Acoustic version which appears on 'Sweet smell' and 'Let the
thunder cry' albums  , in the middle Dave started an incredible solo, i can not
describe the beauty.

8 They were goin to do a new song but then JC said "change in plans", then it
happened, it began , it was the greatest ever. "Feeling alright" everyone started
dancing, all came in front, i was jamming with my hands with Dave, i wish you
all were there.
9 "Hold on me", a beautiful new song, JC on Acoustic again, he plays pretty
good too, not to my surprise, great song, JC said before beginning  this is for
our friends, the Beatles.

10 "We just disagree", people had their marble "Alone Together" albums in the
air, it was crazy,

11 "Only you know and i know", i was not beiliving it still.

12 then it immediately culminated into "All Along the Watchtower", i mean
Dave and Jim were like 20 years old, Even Jagger can learn from them.  At the
end of this one, Jim was flying, so he suddenly dropped one of his Drum  sticks,
and picked something else up, and kept playing, and at the very end , he was
throwing all the sticks in the air and laughing. They concluded, but the crowd
was insane, they wanted more. They came back up, and dave started to play
Fantasy, very canteen like, he sang it too, people went crazy, everyone was
connected, we were this 40 year old crowd head banging to Fantasy, then they
left .

but we kept wanting more  then came "canteen" like Gimme some Lovin, Dave
was sweating very hard, it could have been his tears, who knows, then they
finished. Touched our hands, JC gave me a high 5 , i was almost pi***** my
pants.

Capaldi was incredible, he was, is, and will be the greatest drummer, you
should have seen him, i think i am even objective for this, he was enjoying
himself, so much, he had the face expressions and all, he was gigantic, he had
2 drum solos, one at the end of "Fantasy" and one at the "watchtower" i can not
find words, you got to see it, Dave was like in canteen , he sounded like it too,
he was great.

We took pictures during the show as well. Lets see how a great camera-men
we are.

After the show, 10 guys were left, for a hope at signatures. Then Capaldi
showed up, i was thrilled, but kept my cool in order not to blow this chance
away.  I had him sign our CD covers, and chatted with him, i told him i was
Turkish, then he gave me hug and looked at my face for a couple of seconds
with his jewel like green eyes, he was touched, he said "really", and I asked for
a photo, and got it, it was the coolest thing in the world, I told him how much i
adore his stuff, he thanked us all, he had some interesting comments too, some
guy told him about Steve's commercial, he said ,, "yeaa,, he's lost it", then i
asked him about more Traffic, and he said, in a pessimist mood, well tell that to
Winwood. and he told another guy " yea we are back now", he also told me that
the album will be out in the summer along with more tour dates, and extended
song lists and personnel, he signed a couple of drum sticks, (i could not get
one), then he left, after thanking us.

Then i saw John Taylor, and the first thing he told me was to tell everyone on
the site about what i saw there. It was incredible, my friend was sorry, because
he could not get a picture with JC, then we went outside by the bus, we kept
waiting , it was hard to leave for me really, Then suddenly from the back door,
Dave Mason appeared , i think he was a little stoned,  he said "open the  door
of the bus, it is cold out here", then we had him sign our CD's and He let my
friend Erim to have a picture together, so he was very pleased.  then we left to
find a taxi, it was 1.00 in the morning, we called the cab, but there was no
answer.  So we decided to walk to down town, so we headed back, towards the
venue,again, when we were passing by the tour bus, JC and a couple other
people appeared i suddenly said. Mr capaldi, while i was hailing him at the
same time, he looked at me, and said "hey Turkey", and i said, if you ever
wanna come to Turkey, you are my guest, he said "i want to", then he said
"Ancient Land", and i told him how he could find me from the Site and in
another way, then he asked my name, i said Berkin, and he said "All Right
Berkin", then we kept walking, it was a few seconds only. i was ........whatever
the word is , i do not know,  It was a legendary show, historic, i still dream
about it.

PS: By the way i told JC about Ellie, and he said he remembered Ellie, and also
he knew about Angie's page.

This is just the beginning.

it was a cold day that day.....			BERKIN.

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 20:06:30 -0500
From: Craig / Tabor
Subject: Capaldi/Mason newspaper interview

Didn't know if someone may have sent this to you for posting.
Interesting stuff!

Bob Craig

Copyrighted 1998 Lancaster Newspapers, Inc.

They're not playing in Traffic anymore

Sunday, February 8, 1998

Greg Roth, Sunday News Correspondent

This is a story that began back in the '60s, that seminal decade when there was
only one Woodstock, the only artist covering the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" was
Jimi Hendrix, and Nixon was president.

It is the story of two well-traveled musicians who started out together and went
separate ways, only to wind up pooling their talents after, well, how long?

"Oh, about 30 years," guitarist Dave Mason said by phone from Santa Barbara,
Calif.

Technically speaking, Mason and drummer Jim Capaldi haven't worked
together since their days in Traffic in the late '60s. Their work in that band
proved to be just the prologue to two very long, very accomplished and
mutually exclusive careers as solo artists.

After three decades in the business, Mason and Capaldi have lived through
countless changes, not only in the sound of music but in the industry itself. The
birth and death of disco. The birth and death and subsequent rebirth of punk.
The rise of the independent record label. The birth and refusal-to-die attitude of
alternative.

"We don't live and work and do what we do on a basis of "That's long enough.'
We just love what we do," Capaldi said, also via phone from Santa Barbara. "It
feels as fresh to me as the day we wrote the first song together when we were
like 17 and 18. It's just great to perform, and it's great to write songs. I was very
impressed with Dave's performing; it's great still. There's a lot of guys I know
that can get blase, but the chops are great and the writing has just blossomed.
We both love to play and are excited to play, and that's something I'm glad we
have."

Mason and Capaldi will play at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster Tuesday
night. Singer/songwriter Al Stewart, known for his insightful, historically
accurate lyrics _ as well as his extensive French wine collection _ will be the
opening act.

The duo's show at the Chameleon is part of an initial five-week tour to test
recent efforts as songwriters.

Ironically, while Mason and Capaldi have more than 50 years of songwriting
experience between them and a vast array of different artists who have enlisted
their talents, both have penned soft-rock hits for The Eagles. Mason wrote
"Take It to the Limit." Capaldi wrote "Love Will Keep Us Alive," one of the
four new cuts on The Eagles' reunion album, "Hell Freezes Over."

But fans turning out for the duo's brand-new tour expecting a more classic
sound won't be disappointed, Capaldi said. "Yes, we are back into something
much in line with what we did when we worked together before," he said. "We
have the same energy, and the material is in the area that suits, shall we say,
musicians of long standing. Dave and I have got some great songs. I feel very
strongly about the material. To still come up with the material _ it's a good
sign that we are healthy."

There is certainly a distinct advantage to working with someone who
complements your work so well that it gels into one effort. So well that it is
tough to determine where one's influence stops and the other's begins.

"We know our craft better, and it is a craft," Mason said. "There is a certain
part of it _ a big part is inspiration. But putting it together is a craft. In the past,
we were sort of fumbling around more. It's easier to sit down and write, y'know,
to actually sit yourself down and say, "We're writing.' It's like most great
authors have a routine. They get up every day and write, regardless. Before we
started rehearsing, we were saying, "Well, we have to get this verse finished on
this song,' or this hook or this chorus, and you sit down and you do it."

As teen-age writers in Traffic, Mason and Capaldi could draw on their similar
upbringings and experiences, an approach which Mason feels hasn't deserted
them, despite the passing of time. The process of give and take is as smooth as
ever, said the 51-year-old musician.

"Because we've got so much past from when we were young, it's easier for Jim
and I," Mason said. "I've written with other people, but it's not like working
with Jim. We come from the same part of the country, the same part of the
world (Berkshire, England), we have similar outlooks on life. We grew up
together. When you're very young, it has to be your way because you're trying to
form your personality. Now you're a little older. You tend to stop and look at
someone else's point of view."

Traffic lasted only two years (1967-68) in its original incarnation, the one that
included Mason, Capaldi and Steve Winwood, fresh from starring in the
Spencer Davis Group, the hit makers of "Gimme Some Lovin'." Yet, the band's
wide-open, musically adventurous influence can be felt reverberating through
bands like Phish, the Grateful Dead or any other band at home at an outdoor
festival.

Songs such as "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Paper Sun" are still mainstays on
classic rock radio. According to one Website devoted to the work of Mason,
there are more than 300 cover versions of Mason's "Feelin' Alright," another
Traffic hit.

"Nah, there's not that many," laughed Mason, acknowledging that there are
maybe 30 or so. Only one stands out. "(Joe) Cocker's would have to be the one
that spurred everyone else to do the song," he said. "The only person I want to
hear do "Feelin' Alright' more than Joe Cocker is Ray Charles."

When asked about which young bands he prefers, which ones he sees part of
himself in, Mason deflects the question, opting instead to address the issue of
age in rock 'n' roll.

"The only thing I hate about the whole thing is the connotation of "old' in this
business," Mason said. "It was never like that. Before rock 'n' roll, the pop stars
were Sinatra or Tony Bennett or the great blues players, people like that.
Nobody ever put them in that bracket. They were just able to get better and
make their music. We're doing the same thing. It's just for some reason, it all
got tagged with this "If you're 30, you should have packed it in by now."'

"We sit down now and look at ourselves and we're no different," Capaldi said.
"We're the same kids that we were then."

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 01:13:23 -0600
From: "Tasuki Suboshi, Yui no Seishi"
Subject: CBS Olympics' coverage

        2-16.  Tonight, going into a commercial at around 8:45 Eastern Time,
CBS played a bit of "I Just Wanna Have Some Fun." while showing a highlight.
Frankly, that's been the best part of CBS's Olympic coverage.

        Eric

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: Soniarapp@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:31:38 EST
Subject: Re: SW at the Bottom Line

Concerning Steve Winwood's appearance at the Bottom Line on 2/12. Dear Mr.
Fantasy was not played by Mason, Capaldi, and Winwood. Steve at first sat in
the audience and many people approached his table to chat.  When Steve was
playing Low Spark at the keyboards, his foot hit a wrong pedal and a drum beat
rhythm started.  The boys had a good laugh.

Been a Traffic fan since about '68.   Finest moment was June of '70 at the
Fillmore East during the John Barleycorn release.  Winwood's playing was
simply magical. Worst moment was at the Academy of Music maybe '74 when
Chris Wood sat on the piano bench, fell off and they had to carry him off, not to
return to the show. This was for the Eagles Fly Tour.  Saw them many times in
between. They always had soft spot in my heart

Thanks
DocArt

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: BalletStks@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:01:49 EST
Subject: Re: JC's drums

Still looking for info on a set of Jim Capaldi's drums. Do any S.W. heads out
there have a photo @72-76 that clearly show Jim with a dark brown wood
grained set of Rogers drums? Help!!

E mail Balletstks Please

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:25:08 EST
Subject: Least favorite songs

Ok, this one is kinda hard. :-)

1)  Holy Ground, definitely...I think the lyrics are awesome, but Steve doesn't
sound like his heart is in the song.
2)  Spanish Dancer...I just can't stand this song.  I don't know why, I just can't.
3)  Plenty Loving--Des'ree and Steve just do not sound good together, IMO
4)  No Face, No Name, No Number...I just can't get into the song...I don't know
if it drags or what.  (i'd explain more, except someone has walked off with the
CD so I can't listen to it and explain)

Those are just the ones that come to mind...there are probably more (hate to
admit to that one. :-))
andrea

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:13:12 -0600
Subject: Artists for Oasis

SW tidbit from your Nashville correspondent:  Last week Steve & Eugenia
hosted a reception in honor of the Patrons of Artists for Oasis.  It was held at
their home and about 80 people attended.  Artists for Oasis art show and sale
raises money for counseling, outreach and educational and residential services
for teens and their families.

Shannon