From: "Elena Iglio"
To: "BobbieG."
Subject: GOOD LORD, BOBBIE!!!
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:03:38 +0100

YOU CAN'T FORGET NO FACE NO NAME NO NUMBER:,-((((((((

A MELODIC MASTERPIECE OF HUGE DRAMATIC IMPACT, THE FIRST
REALLY IN TRAFFIC HISTORY!!

This song in my opinion is the most mistreated, ignored, forgotten of
Winwood/Traffic songs and  it can still bring tears to my eyes after 31 years!!!!
AND.... What about GLAD? The most important instrumental Steve's written?
He still has is in his repertoire.

As for his solo career, I would rather include "Roll with it" than "Hearts
on Fire", the worst Winwood/Capaldi could ever do!

Besides, the LIVE version of Crossing the Line is much much much much
better;-)

The Usual Strong- Opinionated One

From:     Self
To: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Re: GOOD LORD, BOBBIE!!!
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:57:41 -0700

Don't tell me, let me guess - you found "Winwood for Dummies".  :-)

 "YOU CAN'T FORGET NO FACE NO NAME NO NUMBER:,-(((((((( A
MELODIC MASTERPIECE OF HUGE DRAMATIC IMPACT AND.... What
about GLAD? The most important instrumental Steve's written?"

Okay, but what would you have me leave off? I was trying to do a history, an
overview, and much as I agree with you, I thought the ones I chose indicated
more of a sample of the current time. Leaving off "Glad" was probably a
mistake, yeah. Do I take off Barleycorn? But that's the folk influence.

This was a really hard thing to do (working within the time constraints).

"As for his solo career, I would rather include "Roll with it" than "Hearts on
Fire", the worst Winwood/Capaldi could ever do!"

Well, I had just put on While You See a Chance and Higher Love, and I was
trying to avoid the 'greatest hits' label; and his writing with Capaldi after many
years apart was rather significant, don't you think, as an indication of future
direction?

"Besides, the LIVE version of Crossing the Line is much much much much
better"

Nah. The studio version builds more majestically and triumphantly. The music
itself may be less ... um, good, I guess, but I find the studio version much more
emotionally fulfilling. And the vocals are better, which was the point. I guess
many people agree with you, because they chose the live version to put on the
boxed set, but personally, I think it was a mistake.

Let me know more of your thoughts!

From: "Elena Iglio"
To: "BobbieG."
Subject: R: Dummies explications
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:28:53 +0100

Weeelllll....
(No face...)

"Okay, but what would you have me leave off? I was trying to do a history, an
overview, and much as I agree with you, I thought the ones I chose indicated
more of a sample of the current time."

I do think this song showed  more than any other Steve's melodic drive and the
fact that he could write GREAT songs, not just great funky dancing ditties. You
start there to go to "No time to live", "Sometimes I feel so Uninspired "Let me
make something in your life" "The Morning Side", "State of Grace" etc...

 "Leaving off Glad was probably a mistake, yeah. Do I take off Barleycorn? But
that's the folk influence."

But Glad's the JAZZ influence, much more than Low Spark that's unmistakably
Traffic- processed jazz. Which song shows the Jazz influence more than
Glad/Freedom Rider????

"Well, I had just put on While You See a Chance and Higher Love, and I was
trying to avoid the 'greatest hits' label; and his writing with Capaldi after many
years apart was rather significant, don't you think, as an indication of future
direction?"

If it was so, my Goodness! No, if you really want to point out the new
Winwood/Capaldi team, WHY don't you pick something from "Far From
Home"??  THAT is a new direction, especially "Holy Ground".

""Besides, the LIVE version of Crossing the Line is much better.""
"Nah."

Again, I don't agree. The studio version is way too polished. Winwood's live
singing in much more intense and heartfelt (not to mention a much greater Al
di Meola solo, but that's not relevant to us now.) if technically inferior. I
noticed you didn't put in a single "live" thing, and this could be a good
occasion.

"I guess many people agree with you, because they chose the live version to put
on the boxed set, but personally, I think it was a mistake."

Well. if "Crossing the Line" or "GO live in Paris" is a mistake, what is
"it was (H)appiness"????

Ellie

From:     Self
To: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Re: R: Dummies explications

"I do think this song showed  more than any other Steve's melodic drive and the
fact that he could write GREAT songs, not just great funky dancing ditties. You
start there to go to ..."

Agreed, but again, what do I leave off? I already have 47
minutes of music on a 45 minute tape.

"Glad's the JAZZ influence, much more than Low Spark that's unmistakably
Traffic- processed jazz. Which song shows the Jazz influence more than
Glad/Freedom Rider?"

So you think I should replace Low Spark with Glad/FR, and leave
on JB? That makes sense.

"if you really want to point out the new Winwood/Capaldi team, WHY don't
you pick something from "Far From Home"?? THAT is a new direction."

No, that's old, in historical terms. By FFH, they had already done Refugees; the
inclusion of Hearts on Fire was meant to show that he would be working with
JC much more in future.

"Again, I don't agree. The studio version is way too polished. Winwood's live
singing in much more intense and heartfelt"

Well, at least we agree that that song from Go is the one to
include, and that Go itself should be included. ;-)

"Well. if Crossing the Line or GO live in Paris is a mistake, what is It Was
(H)appiness?"

I meant that choosing the live version of Crossing the Line over the studio
version for inclusion in the box was a mistake; not that it's inclusion at all was
a mistake. It Was Happiness is more than a mistake, it's an abomination before
God. :-)

Bobbie

From: "Elena Iglio"
To: "BobbieG."
Subject: R: Our debate!!
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:07:26 +0100

Bobbie.....

"So you think I should replace Low Spark with Glad/FR, and leave on JB? That
makes sense."

NAAAAAAHHHH!! I can't imagine a Winwood tape without LS, that's the
best thing he's ever written.... Can't we make it a 120 minutes tape,
please?????!!!

"No, that's old, in historical terms. By FFH, they had already done Refugees;
the inclusion of Hearts on Fire was meant to show that he would be working
with JC much more in future."

I understand it now. Then Why not One and Only Man??? (As you will have
understood I HATE Hearts on Fire, especially the lyric, I could have squeezed
Jim's ear about it!!!)

Well I love Aiye Keta and Airforce too, because they were DIFFERENT, but
many people who follow WInwood in his solo career won't agree with that.
Again, I would make it a double album, not a C90!

"I meant that choosing the live version of Crossing the Line over the studio
version for inclusion in the box was a mistake"

Yes, it is too long. In this sense I can agree.

"It Was Happiness is  more than a mistake, it's an abomination before God."

YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!! Never heard a best description of it!! IT
competes with  "Second Hand Woman"  the Most Abominable Song Steve Has
Ever Written, with a big help from his sexist friend Will Jennings!!!

Ellie

From:     Self
To: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Re: R: Our debate!!
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:03:30 -0700

"I can't imagine a Winwood tape without LS, that's the best thing he's ever
written.... Can't we make it a 120 minutes tape, please?"

I thought of making it *2* tapes, actually - each one C90, but this is more of a
challenge. ;-) It also goes along with the premise - that we're making this
hypothetical tape for someone who's never heard of Winwood. We don't want to
try anyone's patience, so we keep it short and "hook-y".

"I understand it now. Then Why not One and Only Man??? (As you will have
understood I HATE Hearts on Fire, especially the lyric, I could have squeezed
Jim's ear about it!!!)"

So, I think I'm beginning to understand - you don't like Hearts  on Fire....

LOL!!

Okay, okay, whatcha want on there instead? I really want to put something
from Roll With It, because it was such a break-through album for him, but I
don't know what else.

"It competes with "Second Hand Woman"  the Most Abominable Song Steve
Has Ever Written"

Okay, so here's a thread for SP - the Most Abominable Song; we all 'voted' on
Most Beloved, so maybe we should start a "Most Hated"??  I think I'll wait till
*after* his birthday for that one. :-D

Bobbie

From: "Elena Iglio"
To: "BobbieG."
Subject: R: Great... we're starting a SW mafia!:-)
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 23:40:19 +0100

"I thought of making it *2* tapes, actually - each one C90, but this is more of a
challenge. ;-) It also goes along with the premise - that we're making this
hypothetical tape for someone who's never heard of Winwood. We don't want to
try anyone's patience, so we keep it short and "hook-y". "

That's great. Once I heard a journalist saying: If I had to explain an Eskimo
what rock is I'd play him "Who's next". Then we should just play 3 songs: I'm a
man, Low Spark and Higher Love! Before, During and After Traffic!

"Okay, okay, whatcha want on there instead?"

From Roll with It? My favourites, apart from the Title Track, are The Morning
Side and Shining Song.

Ellie

[So, SPers, I went with The Morning Side for the 'Dummies' page on the web-
site. I again have to thank Jen for the idea and for the wonderful title! And
here's the new thread: we don't want to call it "Most Abominable Song" because
I think we all agree that even the worst Winwood song is better than 90% of
what's out there currently. So let's call it "Songs you wonder why SW recorded"
or "Songs you wish he hadn't recorded" or even (Ellie's later suggestion) "Most
Uninspired".  Go for it! Email me with your personal un-favorites!  --BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Embarrassing....but true
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 23:09:46 +0100

Did you know that "Keep On Running" was used in the late 80's in an..er..
toilet paper commercial??? (English TV?)

From: "Mary Katsikas"
Date:          Wed, 4 Feb 1998 15:26:58 EST
Subject:       Re: Hall of Fame

I will do my best to help in this effort to get SW inducted in the Hall of Fame.
This Hall of Fame thing apparently does not recognize  the artistry of a
musician, but how MUCH his company PAYS radio stations to play his music.
It's a numbers game is it?  There is a very interesting book written about how
radio stations pick the music they are going to play called "Hit Men".

Mary

[I will try to get the promised Hall of Fame page up on the web-site later today
or tomorrow. Sorry about the delay. --BG]

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "Fischler, Sol (NBC)"
Subject: Jim Gordon
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:49:00 -0500

As his career was escalating,  he developed schizophrenia,  which usually
begins in a patient's teens or early twenties.  In 1983,  as a  result of the illness,
he killed his mom.  At his trial in 1984  his lawyers correctly argued insanity,
but because of the law changes -- due to our friend John Hinckley, Jr. -- he was
found guilty of murder,  and is currently serving 16-to-life at San Luis Obispo.

I'm currently developing a documentary on Jim Gordon's life,  and am always
looking for film/video,  music,  articles,  or any other information I can find
regarding him.  I have material to trade as well.

If anyone wants to contact Jim,  they can through me.

-- Sol

From: "Tim John Dickinson"
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 19:03:39 GMT

Arnie,
to find out what has happened to him as I like Derek and  the Dominoes as
well. Last year I found a book called "Rock Bottom"  by Pamela Des Barres.  It
chronicles some of the more "low" moments in rock and roll, and includes a
chapter about Jim Gordon.  The rather sad story goes like this...

Jim from an early age suffered from "voices" in his head, which would plague
him for years to come.  He married in 1964 and had a stable life.  But drugs
soon entered the picture.  He divorced his wife, he teamed up with Rita
Coolidge during Joe Cockers "Mad Dogs" tour until he gave her a black eye.
The voices at this point were usually silenced by the use of cocaine and heroin.
After the spilt of Derek and the Dominoes and his stint with Traffic he moved
back to the US but the voices came back.  He married again...and again this did
not last long.  He phoned his mother claiming he was "dying of hate" and
checked himself into hospital (on many occasions.) In 1983 he killed his
mother (one of the voices) and was sentenced to  life in jail, despite 5
psychiatrists testifying that he was an acute paranoid schizophrenic.In an
interview with the Washington Post he could not admit to the crime, believing
that it just "happened".   But the voices have gone. The author of the book
received a letter from Jim in jail saying that  he was still playing drums and
"keeping my music up".

Tim

From: "Aleshin, Nicholas, Mr., ODCSINT"
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 14:17:10 -0500

We went over this exact question on the Slowhand Digest (the daily Eric
Clapton "SP," if you will). Jim Gordon murdered his mother. What I remember
from the recent question was that he stabbed her. The murder was particularly
horrible--no need for further details about it here. He is now in a California
state mental institution/prison, I believe, in Atascadero.

Nick

From: sohi@aabc.dk
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 07:57:12 +0100

As regards the query in SP118 about what happened to Jim Gordon, I have a
little info from one of the numerous Clapton biographies that have been
published.

Apparently Gordon did kill his mother and was committed to an asylum. When
Eric was given an award for writing Layla (which Gordon co-wrote with him)
the award ceremony was televised, and it seems as if Gordon was watching it in
some common room at the asylum. He reacted very strongly when Clapton gave
his thank-you speech, and the staff had to lead him away.

soren

From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 16:27:30 EST
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Jim Gordon

Many thanks to you and the incredibly prompt SP'ers for the responses to my
inquiry about Jim Gordon. I recall a Rolling Stone article on him years ago
(after the murder) but haven't done any kind of archive search for it. Sorry to
hear such a tragic story for a gifted musician, huh?

Thanks again to all of you and happy listening.

Arnie

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Smiling Phases, posts # 4 and 2
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 19:31:28 +0100

1 - AAAAARRGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 - AAAAARRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHH!!!AW; NO!!! PLEASE PLEASE
PLEASE STOP IT!!!

Having said that, everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. This is mine!

Other subject
I loved Bob's post. This is what I would dream for Steve as well. Let's hope he
has this in mind. I wouldn't mind him experimenting with orchestral music
either. He's such a fine musician, like you say. Maybe he will concentrate on
composing more than singing, who knows.....

And finally, to my dear Dawn: don't mind about it all, Steve has had his pains
being accused of selling out many times. Artists should be free to express and
"do what they like" with their lives, careers, images and especially material,
don't you think?? Who are we to judge???

Love to you all SP people
Ellie

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 15:17:52 -0600
To: "Elena Iglio"
From: "Tasuki Suboshi, Yui no Seishi"
Subject: Re: Smiling Phases, posts # 4 and 2

At 07:31 PM 2/4/98 +0100, Elena Iglio wrote:
"1 - AAAAARRGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 - AAAAARRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHH!!!AW; NO!!! PLEASE PLEASE
PLEASE STOP IT!!!"

        Oh come on, what's wrong with a duet =)  I rather happen to think
Melanie Chisholm has a nice voice and would be a very entertaining artist if
she were, shall we say, provided with other opportunities.  =)

Eric J. Brown

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: BalletStks@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 19:53:19 EST
Subject: Re: Capaldi's drums

Still trying to get any info on Jim Capaldi's drums. Surely someone out there
in SW land knows if Jim was a Rogers endorsee, and has photos @72-75 that
may show a dark wood grained drum set , possibly with 2 floor toms and a
chrome snare. how about a set of Regal tip 5a nylon tip sticks and a slingerland
kick pedal.

Thanks, Bart

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: LesterJake@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 22:06:33 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Big Bucks

According to a piece in last Sunday's Chicago Tribune about the local concert
promoters Jam Productions, Steve was paid $90,000 to perform three nights at
Chicago's Park West during the J7 tour.  The article said Jam promoters Arny
Granat and Jerry Mickelson paid the money to keep Steve at their venue, Park
West, rather than a competing venue, House of Blues.

When the reporter asked Granat about the sum, he implied that he managed to
break even and it was worth it to get someone of that caliber into his club.

Les Jacobson

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: Terenceaw@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:46:09 EST
Subject: Laser disc?

I'm looking for Steve Winwoods laserdisc :LIVE AT THE SANTA MONICA
CIVIC. Does anybody have an extra copy?  Or know where I can get laserdisc?

Thanks,
Terence

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 19:31:45 -0800
From: Steven Tidwell
Subject: Re: "Selling Out"

It's really easy for people who know nothing about the industry to talk about
"selling out" (which often really means "he quit doing what I like best", I
think).

I was delighted Winwood had substantial commercial success in the 1980's.
Sure, I'd also like to see him experiment like he did with Traffic, Blind Faith,
and Go (to mention a few) but it's hard to do when you're broke or the record
company won't help out; on the other hand, when your last release was a smash
hit, it gives you a lot more leverage.

(Unfortunately, sometimes that can cut both ways--a great example is how the
record company rushed Winwood and Clapton into the studio to cut the Blind
Faith album and then out on tour well before they were really ready precisely
because of Clapton's huge success with Cream.  And ruined a really good thing
that could have been even better.)

Well, I think Winwood learned a hard lesson from that experience and has
done well since in balancing control over his work, his commercial appeal (and
thus clout with the record company), and his desire to noodle about and try new
things.

And I'd like to tell people who complain about this "sell out" that even much of
Traffic's earlier work could have easily been huge commercial successes if
things had bounced one way rather than another.  There were easily a dozen
songs on their first three albums that could have and should have been smash
hits; to this day, I wonder why they weren't.  (And a couple of them were big
hits for other people!  Go figure....)  After all, Great Art and Huge Success are
not necessarily mutually exclusive conditions.

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: Operanut@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:38:07 EST

I too noticed Will Jennings on the theme song from Titanic.  Am looking
forward to Blues Brothers 2000.  But mainly, I wanted to say that Dawn's rant
about selling out was on point, as they say in the legal profession.  The
considerations about sponsorship & historical patronage, and record companies
not spending enough to promote their artists are well known, but still need to
be repeated.

And, on this subject, Igor Stravinsky, early 20-th century modernist composer
said, "I charge high fees on behalf of my brother composers, Mozart and
Schubert, who died in poverty."  Well said!!!

Keep on shining,
  Sharon