From: "GEOFFREY  MIKE" [shmo@one.net.au]
Subject: Steve's bio and autograph
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 12:11:33 +1100

Just wanted to relate the highlight of my 1997. Apart from the birth of my first
child 4 weeks ago, SW contributed to the highlight of my year last year. 2 years
ago I bought and read his biography I had found in a shop in Brisbane. 5 years
ago I had spent a month living in the Cotswolds area in England , and while
there I heard SW lived in the area. So after I finished his book, I thought I
would take a gamble and post the book to SW C/- the Cotswolds in
Gloucestershire. I really didn't expect to see it again, however words will never
be able to describe the feeling one day last year when I got home from work
and there was the parcel that I had given up on seeing. My book was signed by
Steve and returned. It took nearly 6 months, but he had been in the US I was so
impressed at his concert with the man's persona. As we say in Australia, he
seems to be a bloody good bloke! Very humble and caring for his audiences. I
pray he will return to our distant shores again soon.

Regards,
Geoff Mike

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: sohi@aabc.dk
Subject: SW's birthday
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:52:03 +0100

First of all, happy new year. It should be a great year with SW's half century
coming up. I'm looking at the photo I took in Copenhagen of Steve signing
autographs, and he still looks pretty young.

I have had the following idea for his birthday "gift":

We select four photos of Steve (one from each decade he has been active) and
merge them into one print (computer graphics can be used to jazz things up).
We then transfer the print to a lithograph (we have an excellent printer here in
Denmark) and print a limited number. If we could then get Steve to sign and
number them, then we would all have something to remember the occasion by,
and we could add a premium to the price and donate the proceeds to the Roll
Right Stones Appeal or any other charity Steve wishes to support.

How do you like the idea? How could we progress from here if you like it?

Soren

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Harlanfan [Harlanfan@aol.com]
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 02:18:47 EST
Subject: Re: Radio concert from St. Goarshausen 6/22/97

]  Does anyone have more details of the tape? Radio station etc. I haven't
]  received the cassette so I can't make any judgement on the quality of the
]  tape yet.

     I bought a bootleg copy of the videotape from that concert and it is a pretty
representational recording of Steve's recent on-stage performances.  In other
words, it's pretty darned good!  He seemed to be a more animated performer
during his "Refugees of the Heart" tour -- more into the music than what he has
shown on stage since -- but this is still a better performance than 95 percent of
the other live acts making the rounds these days.  Hope the cassette version is
equally good.

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "Gary Ames" [garyames@netcomuk.co.uk]
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 15:44:21 +0000
Subject: Tape trees

I've had quite a lot of response to the tree , but also some rather, em, strange
replies. Some of these replies also asked if I could copy commercial material. I
was a bit wary , as you will understand. I am on the Zeppelin list and on both
this and other lists , there has been much talk of "bootleg busts" and I have
attached copies of a couple of the articles. I deleted and did not reply to some of
the posts I was suspicious about. As I am sure you will understand , I ma
reluctant to go ahead against the present backdrop. I am, however , still very
happy to "seed "the tree and to provide  a list of the interested parties to
anybody who wants to take the tree on I am sorry to disappoint , but am sure
you understand my logic. At this stage, I have not taken down my web page,
but am thinking hard about it.

Cheers !
gary

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "Elena Iglio" [e.iglio@na.flashnet.it]
Subject: A question for you
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 18:43:58 +0100

Well, I was wondering.... what can be Winwood's next move? I would like to
listen to other people's opinions. Does anybody think he has already given and
is ready to "pass his experience to younger generations" or could he give
something more, maybe something different, maybe work for an orchestra
project like Paul McCartney or ending up his musician days playing with black
bluesmen in small club or going into production or simply retire to breed
horses????

Just a thought listening to J7 one more time.
El

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:11:43 -0500
From: Judy [judy@frontiernet.net]
Subject: commercial??

Just caught something on TV about Steve. Said he was going to be in a
sunglasses commercial with another actress?  I can't believe he would sell out
for sun glasses?? Does he really need the money that bad? Did you hear
anything about this or was I seeing things???? Just wondering....

It wasn't really a commercial I saw, I think it was a blurb on MTV stating that
he would be "hawking" sunglasses with another actress and I think it was
probably from The Blues Brother's movie he's in if I'm not mistaken. Maybe
that will help you a little bit in trying to find out....

Judy

[I've done some checking around, and it appears that Steve and other actors
from the Blues Brothers movie will appear in a commercial for Ray-Bans.
Nothing appears in their web-site, and the Ray-Ban people that I spoke to
refuse to comment, but I have heard this privately from 2 other sources. I think
we can depend on MTV to put the worst possible spin on this, using words such
as "selling out" and "hawking". SW surely does not need the money. --BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:27:05 -0600
From: Steven Robert Seim [srseim@students.wisc.edu]
Subject: radio shows

Big news!  I was lucky enough to find a record store in Denver (on the Web)
that had a number of SW radio shows for sale.  I bought the Superstar Concerts
from 94 (ie. '70 Traffic + '86 solo) and from 90 (Mansfield, MA show), two
BBC Classic Tracks sets, and the Timothy White's Rock Stars show. All great
stuff!

I was wondering about something, though:  is there anything illegal about
owning these?  They are the original CDs, with the Westwood One logo on
them, so they're not illegal copies, but one of the discs says "unauthorized
possession is a violation of applicable laws."  I know the "bootleg police" are
not going to come bursting through my door, but I'd just like to know if it's
legal for people to own these (and how do the stores get them in the first
place?)?  Thanks.

From: D Polyglot [DPolyglot@aol.com]
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:20:54 EST
Subject: Music

Hey there, Danny Wilensky here.  I just wanted to let you know that I'll be
playing on 'The View' with Carole King and Sugar Beats (Monday, January
19th, 11am EST on ABC).  You'll also see other familiar faces in the band.  6
kids will be singing with us, so those of you with musically inclined children
might be particularly interested.

My "And Then Some" CD is continuing its slow but sure treck through the
airwaves and on to CD players throughout the world!  It is available at all
HMV and Tower stores.  If you haven't already heard it, check out
dwilensky.com for info and samples.  There are great performances by Vinnie
Zummo, Shawn Pelton, Jack Morer, John Conte, Vicki Genfan, Ira Siegel,
Wayne Pedwater, Graham Hawthorne and many others.  Indymusic.com,
jazzreview.com., and Cadence Magazine are all featuring it.  And college radio
has been very friendly!

There are a bunch of performances coming up in February that I'll let you
know about.  I hope you are having a splendid year so far.  ;-)

Yours, D

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: BalletStks [BalletStks@aol.com]
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:46:57 EST
Subject: Jim Capaldi's drums

 I'm trying to find out if JIm played a "KOA" finished Rogers drum set
22,13,14,16,16 chrome dynasonic snare @72.  All of the drums were in cases,
and the snare was in a trap case with all correct 72 era Rogers hardware . Did
he have a kit like that, and if so for how long?

Thanks,
Bart

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:44:18 -0600
Subject: Fourth Annual Nashville Music Awards review

The show started on time.  The Hammond was center stage on an elevated
stand -- no Steve.  The house band vamped the intro to "Gimme Some Lovin'"
for a few seconds while Steve made an entrance and walked up to the organ. As
soon as he sat down he tore into those chords and the place went crazy. What a
way to open a show--the audience was singing and clapping along -- very
exciting.  He got a huge hand and-----that was it.  One song. But opening this
show is the position of honor (unlike other shows, where closing is 'best'.)

He was wearing black shoes, socks, pants, t-shirt, and a light blue long-sleeved
shirt that was unbuttoned.  He had really short hair in the front.  He looked very
fit and rested and he smiled a lot during the number.

About 45 minutes later he and Peter Frampton came out to present a couple of
awards! (Steve was wearing a black sort-of frockcoat.  I think it's the same one
he wore at last year's Grammy Awards.) Everyone had been blowing off the
teleprompter all night, so Frampton said, "Let's just chat."  Steve said, "O.K."
then said nothing!  Of course.  Frampton asked him if he hadn't just come in
from England, and Steve said "Well, no.  Someplace.  I mean, America.  An
American tour.  I just finished an American tour."  Frampton said something
about both of them living here far from England.   Steve said, "Well, I would
like a cup of tea, y'all."   The audience really reacted--they were charmed.

Then they did the best pop album.  Before Frampton read the nominees, he
said, "How come they played YOUR song when we came out here?!"  (They
walked out on stage to the sound of "Higher Love.")  Steve just looked around
and then looked beseechingly offstage as if looking for someone with the
answer.  The crowd loved it. He said, "I guess they just had my record or
something."

Peter Frampton then read the nominees for best pop album, and opened the
envelope and read the winner. Amy Grant was the winner but she didn't make
it to the stage to accept the award. Amy was backstage and couldn't find her
way to the stage, even with Steve's urging, so they just left the stage. Later Amy
said, "I didn't know what the order of awards was and so I just couldn't reach
the stage.  Of course, it was Steve Winwood and Peter Frampton. I mean, these
are absolutely my heroes,  and I stood 'em up!"

A couple of winners said things like what a thrill it was to be on the same
stage with Steve Winwood, etc.  There was a lot of dynamite talent there
last night, so he wasn't the only star, but he was certainly the biggest. Steve
is quoted as saying, "The actual music and the fact that all these people are
gathered together playing music is for me a little more important than who
wins the final award." (Steve had been nominated for Best Male Vocalist,
which was won by the hugelay talented Delbert McClinton.)

Shannon

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:30:43 -0600
From: Steven Robert Seim [srseim@students.wisc.edu]
Subject: Hard-to-find stuff

A couple notes on classic hard to find SW stuff:
1. The "What's Shakin" album (featuring the 3 Eric Clapton & the Powerhouse
tracks) is now available on CDNow.  A good British blues album all around.
The otherwise unavailable Powerhouse track, "Steppin Out," is a nice
SDG-sounding instrumental.
2. I recently found an old British rock magazine from the 70s called "Hot
Wacks."  In an article about SW/Traffic, the author mentions that the two
"Anglos" tracks were released on a compilation called "Raw Blues."  Anyone
ever heard of this album?

Total Recall told me the "Live & Alive" CD was already sold, so we won't find
out what that one is.

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:54:17 -0500
From: Ed [tss@speakershop.com]
Subject: Random thoughts

Just a couple random thoughts collected while wondering what happened to
Wynder K.Frog. Is there a chance the Capaldi / Mason tour may eventually
lead to a Traffic reunion with  Mason ? Let's  hope a new Traffic project
will be more of a group effort than Far From Home. Mason's career certainly
could use a boost, and perhaps he could help light a creative fire. At the very
worst , we could look forward to a tour with Feelin' Alright  performed by the
original artist. Led Zeppelin 1969 BBC, Santana live at the Fillmore 1968,
Allman Brothers live 1970, Badfinger live and rare, etc., etc,. Does anybody see
a trend here? What's it going to take to get somebody to notice that there is a
market for this stuff ! Earth to Steve, or Steve's manager, or whoever, has the
way to get some of this material to fans, we want some Traffic rarities, vintage
concerts ( how about the 68 Fillmore show, from the small bits and pieces of
this show i've heard, this may have been one of the best ever.!) I get really
p.o.'ed about this state of affairs. Anyway best wishes.

Guy