Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:30:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Kathy Brooks
Subject: Plenty Lovin'

Plenty Lovin' has grown on me only because Steve's voice sounds so crystal
clear and penetrating (weird word, I know).  But anyway, even though I hate
Des'rat in the song, I decided that because she sounds so awful, it makes him
sound even better!  He definitely backs off too much during the harmonies.

And I also must announce that we here in the thriving pseudo-metropolis of
Dracut, Mass, now finally get VH1!  I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: No way sitting down!!!
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 21:11:27 +0100

Andrea, sweetie-

you're perfectly right! Why do all those people who go to concerts stand in their
seats with stiff upper lips when they could easily rent a video and see their hero
- comfortably and undisturbed - at home?

Well having seen Steve at an open air I had not that problem of course, but I
remember seeing Bowie in a basketball hall in Bologna and paid 100$ for my
wonderful almost front row seat! On the 4th number Bo with his charisma
literally made us rush towards the stage standing on our wonderful armchairs
and screaming at the stage! Well the few who remained seated, stubbornly
insisting they had paid a sum for their seats, ended up seeing nothing at all! I
had paid the same amount but danced and went wild and had the time of my
life! Mind you this was a year ago and I was well into my thirties, like almost
everybody else!

I say, Ok with respecting those who want to stay seated and clap clap, but why
do these people choose rock venues and not opera theaters? Rock is sweat,
moving, dancing, singing along and having the flaming time of your life!!  -
With the only possible exception of Pink Floyd who want people to pay
attention to visuals rather than music -for their music has had nothing more to
say since 1978.

With my usual "velvet glove",

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 20:25:19 -0800 (PST)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: To Ruth: J7 Review

Hi Ruth; J7 here, I really feel the same way about J7, I think it is a well
produced album with only the quality you could expect from SW.

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "Cathi & Jim Kinsky"
Subject: Response to Andrea
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 97 19:36:52 PST

I had a similar experience in 1994 at the Traffic show at Montage Mountain
in Scranton, PA.  I attended the show with my husband and my father-in-law.
 We were in about the 15th row center, (this is an outdoor venue) and every
time we tried to stand up and dance people started throwing things at us.  This
show, to me, was a special event, I mean, it was TRAFFIC Live!  As the show
went on, a lot of people in front of us stood up, so it was obvious that we would
stand up also, so we could see, and dance.  People were cussing us out,
throwing food and cigarette butts at us, and really acting badly.  One guy
cussed us out because his five year old son couldn't see!  Excuse me, but I don't
think a five year old belongs at a rock concert, and I paid good money to attend,
and feel we had a right to stand up and dance.  We were not invading anyone
else's space, and there was no alcohol involved.

When Empty Pages started we got up to jam, and the man and his wife (who
were about 45-50ish) sitting behind us started pulling on my husband's shirt,
and yelling at us.  By this time, hundreds of people were standing, and even if
we sat down the people behind us couldn't see over the people in front of us.
We told then to leave us alone, that we weren't doing anything wrong. Then all
of a sudden, the man behind us jumps up and grabs my husband in a headlock
and pulls him backwards over the chairs!  The chair broke, and my husband
was being choked, and hanging with his head by the ground and his feet in the
air.  I screamed to my father-in-law to get Security, and I tried to pry the man's
hands off my husband's neck. I screamed at him to let him go, and I could see
this man's eyes - he was wild, like he totally lost control!  I was scared to death!
Security came and they simply told the people to leave us alone, and they didn't
even eject the guy that attacked us!  I was shaking and crying by this time, and
I couldn't enjoy the rest of the show.  I was afraid that this man would attack us
again since Security didn't throw him out.  He and his wife left a little while
later, but the show was totally ruined for me.

After the show we found the security guy that had responded, and tried to file a
formal complaint with the management office.  He said the office was closed, so
we went to the first aid station because my husband's back and neck hurt.  The
next day I sent letters of complaint to the management office, and tried to call,
but to no avail.  We never got our money back for the tickets, and were unable
to press formal charges against the guy who attacked us.  So, I say to Andrea,
and everyone else, YES you do have a right to enjoy a concert and stand up and
dance.  That is the purpose of seeing a live show, to enjoy the music to the
fullest, and show your appreciation to the artist on the stage.  BUT, I also say,
beware.  In this day and age people get violent at the drop of a hat, and a joyful
outing to a concert can soon turn ugly.  I think that security should ease up on
the dancers and camera holders, and pay more attention to negative behavior,
so they can step in diffuse a situation,  and protect the patrons before violence
happens.  I hope that concert goers will pay attention, and learn to respect
others in a crowd.  We are all there for the same purpose - to have a GOOD
time.  BTW, I have vowed I will never return to Montage Mountain for a show.

Keep Shining!!
Dawn S.

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 14:15:16 -0800 (PST)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: J7/Far From Home/Carlos Santana/SW & JC

I was just listening to both J7 & Far From Home back to back. Though Far
From Home has a heavy Latin (Latin music in general) flavor to it, I kinda
find J7 as an extension of Far From Home to a certain degree. The use of minor
7th chords back & forth and the percussion work is very  Santana-ish on Far
From Home. Don't get me wrong, I know SW has worked with this sound in
the past. I have often wondered why SW & Carlos have never joined up for a
recording? SW has worked with Mike Shrieve, Santana's original drummer, &
Carlos has worked with Jim Capaldi. Just a thought to throw on your Empty
Pages!

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Capaldi and "Light Up" on "Ice storm" soundtrack
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 23:01:20 +0100

Berkin wrote:
"i found that the movie was Ice storm, and the song is "Light up" by Traffic . ..
can you confirm this??,,"

Yes the Italian title is "Tempesta di Ghiaccio", starring Sigourney Weaver.
This is the second time this year after John Barleycorn" in Italian movie
"Nirvana" that we know of a Traffic song on a soundtrack!!

Thank you for checking out,
Ellie

[We really need to make up a list of all the films SW's work has been used in! -
-BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 19:15:44 -0600
From: Jennifer Gladkowski
Subject: Steve's Chicago Stint

I was one of the people fortunate enough to see Steve all three nights in
Chicago.  What a wonderful experience it was!  It was interesting to read the
reviews of KC, Milwaukee, and Chicago, so now I'll give you my impressions
of what happened.

The Tuesday night show was good.  Having gotten there only 15 minutes before
the show started, I still managed to get very close to the stage.  Opening with
"I'm a Man" was a good call; an early indication of good things to come from
both the band and Steve.  I was amazed at how great Steve's voice sounded,
especially since he was sick.  To reiterate what others have been saying, the
guitar in "While You See a Chance" provided a nice departure.  The show
really jammed.  People were dancing, but even more just standing around-not
good.  As I looked around, I realized I was one of the youngest people there (no
offense to the mature audience members!); it would have been nice to see more
twenty somethings there.  The energy level was pretty high, and Steve looked
really happy to be there.

Wednesday night was even better.  Again, the energy level was up there, and
the band and Steve seemed a bit more into it. (the same exact set list was played
again)

I have to say, the biggest highlight of all three nights was probably "Low
Spark."  Amazing.  You all know what Steve looks like when he's really into
things.  I thought he was going to fall off of his piano bench!  "Higher Love"
was pretty outstanding, too.  Although it's not one of my favorite songs, the
effort that went into it made me appreciate the song a lot more.  To see Steve
motioning the crowd to get up and dance, and Steve himself getting down,
clapping his hands over his head, really put smiles on audience members faces.
Also, when Steve came to the edge of the stage and started high fiving and
shaking hands with people was too cool.

Sunday night is in a class all by itself.  I can't really explain it, but everyone
was ON.  The whole band (with maybe the exception of two-anyone who's seen
the show knows who I'm talking about!) was completely into it, and so was the
crowd.  People were dancing and singing-as it should be-and the band totally
fed off that energy.  Steve was beaming for almost the entire second half of the
show.  The warm reception of the more up tempo J7 stuff, "Low Spark", and
"Glad" really got him rocking.  The Sunday night "Low Spark" was the best of
all three.  The extended jams were simply awesome.  After the show, Mike,
Steve's keyboard player, told me that following the show, the entire band
concurred that this particular show was the best one they have played TO
DATE on the entire tour!  So those of us who were there really saw something
special.

To address what others have been saying, THE BACKUP SINGERS DO NOT
SUCK!!!!  Emma and Val are two of the funkiest and most talented girls I have
seen fill the role they are filling on this tour. They engaged the crowd, and the
crowd engaged them.  The girls can sing, not to mention dance.  And Val and
Steve's duet on "Plenty Lovin"  blows away the Des'ree version on the album.
The "Roll With It" vocals weren't awful, just a change of pace.  I rather liked it.

My ONLY criticism of the shows is that Steve's play list was identical for all
three shows, without a single departure.  A little variety would have been nice,
but then again, the number of people who were there all three nights is
probably under 10!  It would have been nice to hear a bit more Traffic stuff,
too, but then that's what the tour in '94 was for.

In addition, someone posted a review in the last SP and mentioned that hearing
the J7 stuff live gave him a whole new appreciation for the album.  I couldn't
agree more.  I was amazed at how much better the songs sounded live, but
when I went home and listened J7, I found I really appreciated the music more,
having seen all the musicians and what went into every song.

All in all, my SW experience was last week is one I still haven't gotten over.
So much more happened than what I've reported (some great cocktail party
conversations-Hey Nina!), but I would fill up the entire Smiling Phases
Newsletter!  To those of you who have yet to see him on tour, you are lucky to
still have it to look forward to.  Enjoy the shows, clap hard, sing loud, dance
much, and most of all-SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION!!!!!  I was told by
many who I met at the shows that I am the biggest Steve Winwood fan they
have ever met.  But I know there are way more of you out there, so make sure to
get out to the shows and support Steve!

Jennifer

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 22:41:03 -0500
From: Stephen Bennett
Subject: album "Winwood"

Greetings to one and all,
I need to aquire a copy of the out of print compilation album 'WINWOOD',
United Artists  UAS-9950, the double album with songs from Spencer Davis,
Powerhouse, Traffic, and  Blind Faith, from 1971.  You can: a)refer me to a
store which has the album, b) pick it up and snail-mail it to me, or c)make a
tape copy and send that. A cassette would be best for me, and mail-wise, but
will take vinyl. Compensation plus a bit more for your trouble will be sent
appreciatively for  b or c, and thanks for a. I'm thankful for any help you can
furnish; you guys are the best! (next to Steve W., of course)
SB

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: Operanut@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:00:20 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Austin show

   Saw the Austin show Nov. 7th at the Austin Music Hall which is a large
barn-like steel building type structure with open ducts for AC and so forth.
 What we used to call a large dive.  They have developed a warehouse district
around it with brewpubs, bars, restaurants etc. and there were hordes of people
(U.T. students etc.) roaming the streets at 1 am Friday night, unlike Houston
where they roll up the sidewalks at 8 o'clock.

    Steve went thru the standard set list that has been posted in SP.  He added
"Don't you Know What the Night Can Do" after "Glad".  Glad was an
interminable jam and so was "Low Spark". He finally got warmed up on
keyboards while on the large Fender Rhodes (?) doing "Low Spark".  Could
somebody help me on this?  Is that somewhat baby grand shaped black object a
strange Fender Rhodes or what?

    Someone handed SW a pie and he made the comment that "Someone thinks
I'm rather undernourished".  I couldn't hear the names very well when he was
introducing the band during "Just Wanna Have Some Fun".  But then he is
known for mumbling.  Everyone was on their feet during the encores and
dancing.  The air was thick with cigarette smoke and even some "wacky
tobacky".  He had on black pants, black t shirt and dark rust colored
longsleeved shirt that was probably silk. He looked good, relaxed and happy,
even though he was his usual pale self.  The boy needs a little blusher so he
doesn't look like death-warmed-over!!  Steve said the usual feel good comments
about what a nice audience Austin was.  It's so good to see a sincere and
humble artist that is truly thankful for his audience.

    Steve needs to have the backup ladies choreograph their movements better
-- they're not synchronized like some of the Motown girl groups were.  They
also need better light on the ladies when they get interesting.  The crowd
definitely liked the old stuff better than J7 and they really got into the endless
jam of "Low Spark".  The show was 2 hours and 25 minutes with the encores.
The crowd was probably 1,500 strong and it looked sold out.  I was up in the
balcony but could see okay.   There was no coverage of the concert in the
Houston Carbuncle (It figures -- the Chron resembles the Dead Sea Scrolls.)
All the musicians had great chops.

 All in all it was a rockin' good concert and the audience was very responsive.
The sound was comfortably loud.  I agree with the person who said there should
be a souvenir tour booklet with color pictures for sale.

Sharon

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: PBurr10505@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:13:34 -0500 (EST)
Subject: SW Fort Worth Concert

This was my first Steve Winwood concert and on the drive to Fort Worth
Saturday, I almost regretted not going to the Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma
football game to see my Cowboys crush the dreaded Sooners!  But, sensibility
prevailed and I returned to my senses.  The concert started about 20 minutes
to a packed house at the Will Rogers Auditorium.  I have read numerous
complaints on SP re: Security prohibiting people standing up and really
getting into the concert.  This was not the case at Fort Worth.  The set list
was pretty much the same as has been published, except that SW did "Don't
You Know What The Night Can Do?" after "Glad" and before "Finer Things".
 Definitely a different version of DYK, but excellent none the less.   The
audience just kind of sat back for the first three songs, but really enjoyed
"While You See A Chance".  One song that really surprised me or the
audience's reaction was "Gotta Get Back To My Baby".  Most of the crowd
stood and danced for all of this song.  I don't know if it was the Latin version of
this song or what, but the crowd really got into this song.  The next song that
really was fun just to listen and enjoy was "Low Spark" which SW and the band
really seemed to enjoy.  You could tell these guys really were having a good
time with this song, almost 20 minutes long.  I think I found a new
appreciation for this song after hearing this live.  If I could re-do my top 5 list,
"Low Spark" would definitely be on the list.  After "Low Spark", a good portion
of the audience was on its feet and dancing.  Another song that was a big hit
was "Higher Love", especially with the audience participation.  For the most
part, the audience was singing on the chorus and dancing.  The encores were
just as good with the finale "Gimme Some Lovin" the best of the night.  I know
a lot of people have said they are tired of hearing this song, but not me.
Overall, SW and his band seemed to have a better time than the audience, and
that was hard to do.  I am amazed at the talent of this man and how
unappreciated that I think he is in some music circles.  This was the best
concert that I have ever attended and I hope to hear him again, although
it won't be soon enough.

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: Dialectic1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:37:13 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Denver show

Just thought you'd like a quick review of the Denver show of last night...

First of all, Steve played the same set that he has been playing for all his dates.
Judging from some of the reviews in some of the recent Smiling Phases, I think
the Denver crowd was treated to a much more polished show than some of the
earlier dates.  The crowd was very much into the show, dancing in the aisles
upfront with the entire audience rising to dance and  enjoy the music for a good
half of the show.  The musicianship of the backup band was especially good,
especially the on the sax and trumpet.  SW was careful to allow each band
member to showcase his or her talents at various points throughout the show.

Overall, it was everything I expected and then some.  Denver is a very "classic
rock" town, so the audience really got moving to his classic tracks.  Although,
admittedly, they did die down during the J7 tracks.  (Spy, Family Affair, and
Just Wanna Have Some Fun got the crowd going as good as anything,
however.)  And everyone is right, the J7 songs sound MUCH better live as
opposed to the canned album versions.

My own personal highlights:  the While You See a Chance guitar work, the
mandolin solo during Back in the High Life, and watching SW build up, tear
down, build up and tear down, and build up and tear down the musical
momentum during Low Spark.  Personally, I wish he would have played
Valerie and something from Refugees, but other than that, no complaints...

Now, let's all get together and start lobbying for that SW live album!!!!!

Todd

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 21:56:21 -0600
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: Capaldi and the Eagles

Just found the last copies of Performing Songwriter at Barnes & Noble.  A
really fascinating article!  I noticed one statement in particular, though: SW
mentions that Jim Capaldi had had "success" with The Eagles.  I was not aware
that JC had written songs for the Eagles.  Does anyone (or everyone) know
what songs?

Subject: Denver concert
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:47:15 -0800

One word describes Steve Winwoods Monday night concert at the Paramount
in Denver, AWESOME. Never before have I been to a concert with such
electricity and charisma as Monday's show. Right from the get go with I'm a
Man and Roll with It. About half way through the show is when it really started
to heat up. When he started in with the keyboards to The Finer Things no one
was left sitting and everyone remained standing and dancing through a brilliant
performance of Family Affair, Low Spark, Glad, and straight on through the
encores of Back in the High Life and Gimme' Some Lovin'. It was just an
incredible show. I was very worried before the show because most of the people
who wrote reviews on the shows said they couldn't stand up and dance, but I
guess it's different here in Denver, because the sold out crowd never even sat
down. It was almost a spiritual experience how SW played to the fans. I would
have gladly paid twice as much for my tickets if I had to. Just a brilliant
performance.

Rob