From: FF Frolic
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 16:51:51 EST
Subject: SW on Jazz Station

 I finally heard the first Junction 7 song to be played on the radio. I used to
set my alarm clock to a jazz station about a year ago. I remember when I first
heard about Junction 7 on the official page and heard about him playing some
jazz, I wondered if I could find that song on the jazz station. I didn't think I
could, so I never changed it back to the jazz station. The other day I got tired of
waking up to the current station I was listening to, so I decided to change it
back to the jazz station. When the alarm went off at 5:30 am, the first song I
was to hear from that station in over a year was "Plenty Lovin". I was really
surprised to hear it. The alarm went off just as the drum beat at the beginning
began. I recognized the song just from the drum beat. I stayed in bed till the
song was over. So you people out there who are wanting to hear Junction 7
music on the radio, might want to try different types of stations.

Larry

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 17:42:37 -0600
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: Nov. 1 Milwaukee show

Our Hero's Nov. 1 show at the Rave in Milwaukee turned out to be quite a day
for my wife and I.

In the afternoon, I thought I'd stop at the hall and look around.  To my
surprise, all doors were unlocked, and I was able to wander around, watching
the equipment set-up.  I was even able to sneak a peek backstage (although no
one was there).  Having satisfied myself that SW wasn't there yet, I started to
leave.  Just as I stepped out the front door, I noticed about a half dozen people
looking like they were waiting for something.  Sure enough, up walks Steve
with his entourage!  Fortunately, I had thought to bring my copy of J7 and a
pen, so I did get an autograph!

Julie, who was waiting in the car, reported a funny story of watching the
handful of fans chase Steve's bus up and down the block as he arrived (while
I was still snooping inside).

The actual show was fantastic.  The song list was basically the same as
previously reported.  The live versions of "I'm a Man" and "Gimme Some
Lovin" (first and last songs, respectively) were particularly well done.
(He really must release a live album!)  Even "Family Affair" sounded pretty
good live, although "Plenty Lovin" still didn't.  The security people again were
a real pain.  I got my film confiscated from my puny Nikon camera after taking
a mere two shots.  They generally prevented people from getting up and
dancing too.  With the grand finale, "Higher Love," however, Steve himself
motioned everyone up, so security couldn't do anything then.  The crowd
seemed to love the whole show, anyway, and SW seemed really into it too
(although looking a little tired at times).

Today's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel declared "Steve Winwood Goes Through
the Motions".  They couldn't have been more wrong.

Steve

[Steve was nice enough to send me a copy of the review, and I have uploaded it
onto the web-site, if you would like to read it. Thanks, Steve! --BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: FFFrolic@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 19:18:27 -0500 (EST)
Subject:  Second Annual GQ "Men of the Year"  On VH1

 I was just flipping through the TV channels and saw SW singing "Back In The
High Life Again" on stage, on VH1. I found out it was The  Second Annual
Gentleman's Quarterly "Men of the Year". I guess I must have missed "Gimme
Some Lovin".  I didn't know it would be on TV Could someone with a VH1
listing please tell me when it might come on again. I sure would appreciate it.

Larry

[There's a link to the VH1 program listings from the web-site now, after Larry
alerted me to this.  Thanks, Larry!  --BG]

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:24:31 -0800 (PST)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: Traffic Gold CD Winner!

The Traffic SHOOTOUT AT THE FANTASY FACTORY Gold Mobile
Fidelity CD was won by a SP/SW list member! The winner is Bob Craig of
Massachusetts. Thanks to Mobile Fidelity for the contest and their support of
Steve Winwood, those who entered on the list and Bobbie was posting the
contest!

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 13:31:12 -0500
From: dewey
Subject: 10-30-97

The show I saw was nothing short of extraordinary.  I felt it easily equaled the
Traffic show I saw at Pine Knob (Clarkston, MI) in 94'. There are two bones
that I would care to pick with Stevie if I had the chance:

1) He plays the same show every night with the exception of three songs.  I
know this because I saw the computer screen in front of the sound guy.  I even
asked him why Stevie didn't play three songs to find out that I was looking at
the entire list of songs that Stevie was playing on this tour.

2) I threw a piece of paper at Stevie's feet (I was front row, which was no
problem with all the old folks fighting for the seats at a G.A. show [chumps!])
that read "We are already eternal fans, but if you could play any of these songs
we'd be incredibly grateful: Do what you like, Empty pages, Stranger to
himself, and a few others (I can't remember.)  well, Stevie never even looked at
it.  I guess I can't blame him for not looking at his feet at a show, but now I
know that even if he saw it, he probably only taught the band two dozen tunes
(lame!)

dew
PS  his band really was phenomenal

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: Fab4fan01@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 03:52:12 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Roll With It on GQ Awards

Just wanted to know if you or anyone else saw Steve's performance of Roll With
It on VH1 this Tuesday evening???? I think the show was the GQ awards of
some sort.. it was really pretty cool, and if it's ANY hint of how he does a
live show, then tell me when he gets to Chicago or Milwaukee.. LOL.. Talk to
ya later..

Dan

[Well, he's already been to Chicago and Milwaukee this fall, so I guess ya have
to wait till the next go-round.  ;-)  --BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 21:57:45 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Kansas City Show

WOW!!  What a show!!  That's all I can say about that. :-)  Steve is
obviously feeling better...

The crowd was very small (1,300 people) and they were like dead.  They were
pathetic.  No one stood up and danced at all.  (But I'll get into that later.)  But
the show itself was very high energy...

OK, now I'm not sure if this is the exact set list.  I forgot to take
paper.  This is off of the SP site and I'm just going to try to remember
where the extra songs were.

     I'm A Man
     Roll With It--I don't like the backup singers on this song.  I don't
like the parts where Steve drops out and they come in.
     Freedom Overspill
     While You See A Chance--The opening guitar solo was amazing!
     Angel Of Mercy
     Spy In The House Of Love
     Let Your Love Come Down
     Gotta Get Back To My Baby
     Plenty Lovin'--I still hate this song...I don't even like it with the
backup singer replacing Des'ree.
     Can't Find My Way Home--Got a wonderful audience reaction...standing
ovation.
     Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys--amazing.  Right as the song started up,
all you could hear was the audience go "Low Spark!"  I didn't time it, but I
was told it was 19 minutes long.
     Glad (with Latin jam)--the audience really liked this one also.
(Notice!  No Valerie!!  I was disappointed, but that's just because the song
holds special meaning for me.)
     Family Affair--this is where the fun started for me (yes, there's a
little sarcasm there, but I'll get to that later)  It still sounded good.
     Just Wanna Have Some Fun (with band intro)---Um, he needs to find
another way to introduce the band...I couldn't hear one word he was saying
over the back up singers.  The backup singers hand movements have become a
running joke. :-)
     Higher Love
     Back In The High Life Again
     Gimme Some Lovin'               these last two had the entire audience
up on their feet (the only time during the entire show.)

     Also, somewhere in there, he played a nice, tender version of "The Finer
Things" and an OK version of "Don't You Know What The Night Can Do?"  I
wasn't too impressed with that one...but it wasn't bad.  (I think he played
those between Glad and Family Affair, but I'm not really sure.)

     (Shawn, from Chicago, if you're reading this e-mail me!  I sat down the
row from you for awhile...I was a few seats down from Steve, whom you talked
to for awhile.  I'd love to get the set list from you!  Thanks!)

     The review in the KC Star was excellent!  Much better than the Traffic
review a few years ago.  (The headline then was "This Traffic still can't
jam."  This time it was "Winwood serves up golden nuggets from his long
career.")  But, they said that he switched to guitar for "It's All On You."  Now,
I'm assuming that this is "While You See A Chance"...any other ideas??

     OK, now I'm going to say something that you may agree with, you may not,
but it angered me, so I'm going to post it and see what the reaction is, if
any.
     Now as I've already said, this audience was pathetic!  Most of them sat
the entire time, ok?  One woman stood up and danced during "Roll With It"
An usher went and told her to sit down.  And that's just the beginning.
     I went to the concert with my mother and some other people, who don't
come into play here.  Now, my mom and I both LOVE Steve and we were dying
to stand up and dance the entire show.  But, we didn't for the most part.  There
were a lot of songs we would have loved to dance through, but we controlled
ourselves until the end. :-)
     During "Family Affair" we decided that we weren't going to sit down
anymore. :-)  So we were up kinda dancing...not the really obnoxious,
"Yes-I've-been-to-the-bar-six-times-already" dance.  (FYI, they had two full
bars set up in the lobby...a little much for 1, 300 people...and you figure
maybe 300 people or so didn't drink, but oh well)  Just an
"I-really-like-this-song" kinda dance...you know what I'm talking about
right?  Well, during FA, I felt something hit my head...but I just ignored
it.  A minute later, my mom looked at me and said (yelled)  "Let's sit
down...someone's throwing stuff at me."  so, we sat down, but I got a little
mad.  I figured it was the people behind us, so right after I sat down, I
yelled to my mom (well, more at the people behind us)  "I came to this
concert to have fun and if I want to stand up and dance, I should be able to.
 I should not have to sit down!  And I should NOT have people throwing crap
at me, because I want to have fun!"  So, we sat there for a verse or two and
then at the end (during the "one family, one love" thing), we both looked at
each other and realized that we weren't going to let them stop us from
standing up and having fun, so jumped right back up. :-)  "Just Wanna Have
Some Fun" started up.  A nasty little comment about the people behind us
needing to learn how to have some fun was kinda sorta yelled by someone. :-)
 But, we decided to sit down after awhile.  (The band intros weren't very fun
to dance to.)  Then "Higher Love" started up...we were both up and dancing.
 Then I felt something hit me in the back, hard.  I just spun around and
yelled "Stop it!"  Then I looked at my mom, "I'm not sitting back down now."
 I was so mad I was actually shaking.  So we stood up and danced the rest of
the time.
    Now, here's my question.  Is it wrong to stand up and dance at a concert
when no one else is??  Now I understand that they paid to come (well, that's
if they paid...a lot of tickets were given away free) and see the concert and
I understand that.  But I paid just as much money and I think that I have the
right to stand up and dance.  Maybe I'm wrong.
     I spent part of the summer working crowd control out at Sandstone (KCs
shed) and we were always told that the people had paid for their seats and
the area right in front of it and if they wanted to stand up and dance, we
couldn't stop them.  I paid $40 for my chair...I never left that area...and I
think I had the right to stand up and dance.
     And with someone like Steve who does a lot of upbeat, energetic songs,
I don't think I was wrong to stand up and dance.  Now if I was at like a
James Taylor concert, yes, I would have been wrong to stand up and dance
through "Fire and Rain" or whatever, but I was at Steve Winwood...a man who
constantly (well, not constantly, but you get my point) refers to dancing in
his songs.  I don't think I was in the wrong...was I??
     I think that the way the people behind us handled it was wrong.  They
could have easily moved (there were tons of empty seats right around us and
we were in the 11th row) or even asked us to sit down and we would have
probably done it, but, instead they chose to throw things at is.  But, I'm
rambling... :-)

So, I'm kinda interesting in hearing other opinions on the matter.

But all in all, Steve puts on a WONDERFUL 2 1/2 hour show...and I was very
impressed.

Andrea

[There is a link to the review from the Reviews page on the web-site.  Thanks,
Andrea!  --BG]

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 22:18:33 -0600
From: Craig Richards

Steve Winwood gave a great show here in Kansas City on 11/4/97. He played at
the Midland Theater, an old ornate theater normally used for Broadway Shows
and dance recitals. He and his band seemed to be really enjoying themselves.
The crowd was small (not a full house) but enthusiastic. His set list was about
the same as the other shows. He played "Finer Things" instead of "Valerie",
plus he added a song to his play list. He played "Don't You Know What The
Night Can Do" after "Glad". They did a pretty cool transition to it. He turned
his guitar player loose on a laid back jam.

I hope he does another tour of intimate venues like this one. It sure
made this concert a memorable one.

Craig in Kansas City

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 00:25:36 -0500
From: Ruth Kastner
Subject: J7 reactions

Regarding the recent criticism of J7 by some of Steve's fans, I understand that
it might not be to your taste. But some have been critical on the basis that Steve
should be producing things more like his Traffic stuff; i.e., pleasing his
traditional fan base. Well, I think Steve did that with Far From Home. But it
was not well-received, which surprises me, because in many ways I thought it
was a quality album that at least rivaled some of Traffic's old stuff. But the fans
weren't crazy about it. Similarly with Refugees, it was a less commercially
aimed album with more ethereal and intellectual music, and again was not that
well-received. So it makes perfect sense that Steve would look around for a
different angle and since he loves soul and R&B, that was a sensible way to go.
Those who are not enthused about J7, perhaps you might enjoy it more if you
listen *not* for intellectual profundity but rather for sheer joy and musical
sensuality.  That's what I think J7 is about. For example, the end of Family
Affair sounds to me like a  rousing call for unity. He has taken a
song about a single family and enlarged it to apply to everyone as a human
family. And the little tambourine stroke tucked in just before every third beat is
a great touch--another one of Steve's ingenious percussion ideas. Just some
thoughts on what people might be missing about J7.  Thanks for the
opportunity to comment.

Peace, Ruth

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 19:50:34 -0500
From: Judy
Subject: UNICEF

Just read in my new Rolling Stone that Steve is playing a UNICEF concert on
December 10 in New York City and it will be carried live on TNT. Also
mentions that each performer will donate future royalties from one song to
UNICEF but doesn't mention what song.

Judy

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: LesterJake@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 21:09:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Arc, Talking Back and the Chicago Concerts

 <>

Interesting...I agree about the synths, and would love to see these two albums
re-produced at some later stage with acoustic instruments.  The songs
themselves I consider masterpieces, and these albums akin to Steve's Rubber
Soul and Revolver: great tunes, great hooks, great instumentation.  Night
Train remains one of the great SW tunes, IMHO, and the guitar work is furious
and awesome.  I have a rehearsal tape of this song (from the '81 European
tour?), and I have never heard Steve play guitar better.

Les

PS: I was at both Chicago shows and agree with the comments of the other
SPers.  He and the band were outstanding.  I thought the pacing was a little
weak, however, as he played a slew of numbers from J7 at the outset, and it
slowed the set down quite a lot.  But then I'm not a J7 fan.  My favorite
numbers were the opening I'm a Man and the sweetly acoustic Can't Find My
Way Home.  My only other complaint is the utter predictability of the set list,
but then imagination is not his strong suit.

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 12:19:30 -0500
From: Bob Craig
Subject: Traffic: Giving to You

I was going through the fan web site and, in particular, the unreleased music
page and came across a situation that will probably interest folks.

On the page, it talks about a version of "Giving To You" from the Stockholm
9/67 show with lyrics to the song.  I believe it also mentions that there is a
question as to a studio version of this with the lyrics.  Well, I have it!

In 1967, they released a single with a different studio version of "Giving To
You" on the b-side.  I was blown away by it when I first heard it, asking myself
where did these lyrics come from.  The singing is just over the beginning part
and then they go into the jam, and I would swear that this jam is different as
well.  I know you want to know the A-side to the single, but I am at work and
can't place it at the moment.  It may have been "Fantasy".

Anyway, I wanted to pass that along.  I have been collecting Traffic/Winwood
since the mid-70's and one of my focus areas are 45's with pic sleeves from
around the world.  I have hundreds of them on Traffic and Steve (and all other
group and session situations he has been in).  The best part are the unique
pictures they put on the same single form different countries.  The early ones
have the coolest shots you could ever image, as well as some interesting
artwork sleeves.

Bobbie, I cannot scan these, but should ever want to scan these in to the site,
please let me know and I can mail a few down to you.  This group might get a
kick out of it.  I know the artists do.  I spent time with Steve at Island records in
1983 showing him photos of these sleeves and he was bowled over by them,
their uniqueness, and it gave him a better understanding of collectors and their
desires.  I also collect Eric Clapton and did the same thing at his management's
office in London.  Eric wasn't there, but I had a chance to sit with his manager
and staff looking over these sleeves and they were floored.  If artist only knew
what out there.  Especially in the early days.  These days with a global
economy, everything is made in one spot and distributed everywhere.  It all
looks the same.

Anyway, play those 45's as you never know what they put on there.  If I can fill
in any additional info, please just advise.  My thanks for this site, its folks and
all the fun Steve gives us.  Now where are those unreleased shows......

Bob Craig