From: "Mary Katsikas"
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:09:47 EST
Subject: Road Trip

I want to know if anyone is interested in taking a trip to England as a group to celebrate SW's Golden
Birthday with him in May?  I think it would great to get to the Winwoodies together.

Mary

From: "Cathi & Jim Kinsky"
Subject: tidbit for SP
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 97 20:38:15 PDT

In the new (December) issue of Walking Magazine, they have a feature called the Great Outdoors.  They
review great places all over the world for walking/hiking trips.  In the spotlight this issue is Cotswolds,
England.  A US based tour company called Backroads offers week-long inn to inn hiking trips through the
Cotswold Hills area.  These groups tours hike over the gentle hills through farms, exploring the quaint
towns and pubs in this picturesque region.   If anyone is planning on traveling to Steve's neck of the
woods, you may want to check this out.  Backroads can be reached at (800)GO-ACTIVE or by E-mail at
goactive@backroads.com.

Dawn S.

[Are there any Subscribers who work as travel agents who could
help up plan this, and get us group-discounts? --BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Understanding opinions
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:30:22 +0200

To Operanut:
I think I made it clear with my next post on #108. Maybe I'm not an English
speaking person and what I say is  easily misunderstood. Maybe it's my Latin temper  - alas, I'm as proud
as Jim is to be Latin. Obviously I am glad Steve didn't care about making money.

I think you are "taking it personally" too when you state your opinion. Sorry if my opinions are too strong
for you, you are free to skip my posts if you don't like reading them. I personally like it when people have
opinions and don't limit themselves to praise Steve or list bootlegs or announce concerts. We are here to
discuss Winwood's music and personality freely, not to talk like a "politically correct" committee. I do
think you would be much more comfy on the official Guestbook.

That's my opinion, of course.
Regards,
Hot Jets Ellie

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "ROB"
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:18:31 -0700
Subject: Junction 7 reaction

Upon buying the JUNCTION 7 album, only a few weeks ago, I must say that he continues to amaze me.
Being only 25 I can honestly say that his music, older Traffic and newer solo, is still able to be passed
through generations and firmly stand the test of time. It is so soulful and honest. And in a time where
those are two qualities, which are so hard to come by, I thank him for that. My 4 year old daughter loves
dancing to his music. And it is very special to me that she and I are able to spend time with each other. I
just wanted to let you know how important I feel his music is. It is unlike anything else. No drug or wine
or spell or anything can give me the "Groove" that SW gives. His music warms the heart and makes
everything seem a little bit brighter. I will admit, that most of my friends don't listen to him, but they all
know who he is, and as a constant reminder, without SW the music industry would not be where it is
today. He is one of the last true human beings who is honest with himself and everyone around him. I
truly don't know what I would do without his music which he has shared with myself and so many others.
God bless Steve and all who he and his music has touched.

Rob Burchett

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: Bill Burns
Subject: Cleveland concert : Oct 26
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:11:27 -0500

Game 7 of the World Series may have had some affect on Steve's concert. The show was moved from the
Cleveland Music Hall downtown to a small venue ten minutes from downtown.  I quietly and
inconspicuously moved to the front
row.  I must comment on any on the negative comments on this show.  Steve had an eight piece band that
sounded more than well versed.  The sax player
and the trumpet player were fine musicians and really put the icing on the
show.  Steve played his Hammond, a piano, electric guitar (on While You See
a Chance), and the mandolin.  The format was basically the same.....  finishing with Gimme Some Lovin.
Steve really appeared to be having a great time.  He danced a little with the two back-up singers and
seemed to really get into his new music.  "Just Wanna Have Some Fun" sounded great and you could tell
he was enjoying his fellow musician's talents.  The crowd was very receptive and appreciative.  I have a
better appreciation for the new album now.  I understand the diversity and the hard work that went into
this album.  This was a great show without any mistakes and definitely a highlight for me.

Bill Burns

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:32:18 -0600
From: Jennifer Gladkowski
Subject: Oct. 28 Show in Chicago

I just wanted to let you know really quickly that the show last night was
incredible!!!!  I have seen Steve 4 times now, and I have never seen him
show as much emotion as he did last night.  I'm going again tonight, and
possibly Sunday as well.  I'll write you when I have more time with a
more detailed account.  Take care!

Jen Gladkowski

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:47:19 -0800 (PST)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: READY TO GO!

 Mobile Fidelity CD Give Away! Win The Traffic Shootout At The Fantasy CD!

The Sonics in conjunction with Mobile Fidelity is extremely GLAD to announce a Traffic CD contest!
One lucky RAINMAKER who answers all the
correct 6 trivia question about Steve Winwood & Traffic wins the limited edition 24 karat gold CD! So
stop doing that MEDICATED GOO thing and get
those answers in! Mobile Fidelity will be notified of the winner and they will ship out the CD and that
lucky RAINMAKER will be posted on the Sonics site for the world to see! Thanks to all the folks at Mofi.

Questions

1. Name the Traffic album which the song "Walking In The Wind" first appeared?
2. Name Steve Winwood's 3 Virgin albums?
3. Name the Traffic members which all played in Ginger Baker's Airforce at
one time or another?
4. Name the 3 Traffic albums which both had different covers on both their
US & UK first issues?
5. Name the member of Ten Years After that released the '73 solo album On
The Road To Freedom that Steve Winwood appeared performing on?
6. Name the 3 Traffic 'Hits' collections released by United Artists Records?

The Sonics Music Site. Published & Edited By Jay Siekierski In The Octave
Http://www.earthlink.net/~thesonics

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Angie C  "
Subject: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:11:03 -0500

Just in case you haven't heard, the 1998 Inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are: The Eagles,
Fleetwood Mac, Santana, Mamas & Papas, Lloyd Price, Gene Vincent, Jelly Roll Morton for "early
influence" and Allen Toussaint for "non performer".

Now, after three years of sending "scrap books", collecting signatures, writing letters,  and posting to the
R&RHOF, I was ready to throw in the towel.  However, being the hard-headed Italian I am, I decided to
try one more time to get "Traffic" inducted. I'm going to start in January this time.

I am asking "SP" to help me. I could use everybody's help.  Remember, STEVE
IS NOT ELIGIBLE YET. "Traffic" is  - and Steve is a big part of "Traffic".  If you have any suggestions,
ideas, action plans etc., please e-mail me. We can do the same for Steve when his time comes. I am saying
"Thanxs" in advance to all who are going to help me.

E-mail address:  angiec@Compserv.net

Take care,
Angie

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: R: Synths
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 07:18:46 +0100

Thank you, Steve (Seim)! Think you're perfectly right!!!

Synths were the spreading illness of late 70's and early 80's I can remember a time when the so called
"new romantics" like the Human League or Ultravox banned every instrument that wasn't a keyboard.
That was a fad, and Steve fell victim to the fashion, in his will to experiment and do something different. I
was so glad when I heard - again - the sound of REAL brass in "Back in the High life" and "Roll with it".
As you probably know, Steve was always fascinated by reeds and woodwinds, but he could never play
them himself - he tried clarinet when a young lad, but the peculiarity of his teeth wouldn't allow him to
get a good sound. Had he worn a teeth straightening device, we would have probably had less synths and
more REAL playing on those "do-it-myself" albums!

Take care

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 07:47:25 +0000
From: gcoe@attmail.com (Gregory D Coe)
Subject: SW Concert

Wow!  SW was great.  The posted set list was it when you sub The Finer Things for Valerie.  The Park
West was a great place to see a show, general admission and very laid back.  My buddy and I were front
row left in front of SW's keyboards.  I was two feet away when he played Low Spark and Glad.  Also
shook his hand twice when they were leaving the stage.

That was the closest I've ever been in any of the 75+ concerts I've ever seen.

Greg

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: Michael_Carner@maryville.edu
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 16:22:40 -0600
Subject: Winwood Orphan

Hello fellow SPers.  I was wondering if one of you could help me out.  I was orphaned so to speak, I was
supposed to attend the concert on October 25th which was ultimately canceled.  It doesn't look like I'm
going to get to go to another concert so I was wondering if someone out there would pick me up a tee-shirt
and a cap when he visits your town.  (I would send you a check for the merchandise and for the shipping,
of course!)  I would be eternally grateful.  Just send me a personal email and we'll discuss the details.
Thanks.

Mike