Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 16:02:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Couple of Answers

My world is full of Winwood these days,, I bought the Airforce LP and the first
3 Capaldi CD's from downtown NY, even found the 1978 collaboration  of
Roskoe and Reebop on the album of "CAN" pretty interesting stuff,, and yes it
is on CD,,

yesterday i got the magazine "Performing Songwriter", it  is surprising in many
aspects , because (this is for you Dawn) Winwood is listening to some
interesting stuff at the moment, he says in the magazine that he listens to
"Phish", a group that is supposed to be a continuation of the "Dead". he says he
played with them,, wow,, and another shocking name is "Primus",, he says they
are playing Dance stuff live,, not with computers and stuff, and he sort of calls
it a revolution,, who are Primus,, i need some insightful lesson on them  can
anyone?????, then he mentions the Cool boy jamiroque  and Ocean color scene
,, and Khula Shaker,,  i found this actually very esoteric and interesting,,,,

Can not wait for Sunday in Boston,, Orpheum  theater for the ones who will be
there i will be at the front of the Balcony,,,,,

Berkin

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: EAcev10716@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 16:52:16 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Need tickets

If anyone has 2 extra tickets to the Steve Winwood's Chicago appearance on
October 28, 29, please reply.
Thanks,
William.

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: LesterJake@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:31:42 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Conan

I saw the Conan O'Brien show and thought the song sounded great (and you
know how I feel about J7), he looked good and the audience loved it.  Not doing
an interview didn't bother me, since I think he's a lousy interview anyway, but
I wish they had given him time to play another song.

Les

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Book
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 18:39:04 +0200

Oh and by the way am I the only SPer to own Steve's unofficial bio "Back in
the High life" by Alan Clayson?

Incredibly amusing - and priceless to me!!!

It's an intelligent, ironic book and deserves being read by anyone
liking Winwood. It is not an insipid piece of propaganda like Chris Welch
sugary stuff. I thought many times to write the man to ask him things and how
did he feel when he was so ill-treated by Winwood (he's one of the many, it
seems...;-) That book couldn't offend Steve in any way. It is inaccurate because
Chris's dad read it and told me the many things that were pure fantasy, but it
was really enjoyable. You'll have the time of your life!!!

From: jsantoro@sasipos.com (Jack Santoro)
Subject: Steve at the Tower Theater
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 15:30:23 -0400

A saw Steve last night at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia, PA. What great
show. He and the band sounded fantastic. It was by far the best solo Steve
show I have seen yet. The crowd was extremely into the concert. Steve looked
like he was having a great time, I know I was. The band and the back up
singers were incredible. I was nice to see Steve in a small venue. The
acoustics were great. Steve's singing was perfect. They did the best version
of Low Spark I have ever heard live! It must have been close to 18 minutes
long.  It was great to Steve see really banging away at the piano between
verses. I thought it was cool that Steve played the guitar for While You See
A Chance. The intro sounded really cool on the guitar. The set list is same
as Steve Smith reported from Chastain Park Amphitheater except no Valerie?
The show lasted about 2:15. I think I'm going try to see him again in Easton
PA if I can still get tickets.

Jack

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Items and books
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 19:12:05 +0200

There was a journalist who followed Traffic throughout their career and
could have easily written a book on them. His name was Tony Stewart and he
wrote for NME. I thought many times of contacting him when I was in London.
His articles on Traffic were the best I ever read and I think he was the
only one entitled to be their biographer. Could you put part of this post
on SP just in case somebody reads it and knows the guy?

There are two other things I have been looking for desperately: David Oxtoby's
paintings inspired by Traffic and the 1967 live in Hyde Park  video with Dave
Mason Jim Capaldi told me about when we met this summer. HE told me he
had seen it on Rede Globo, the Brazilian major TV network. Who knows,
anyone could have made a copy of it.... That would be a real treat to collectors!!

ELLIE

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 18:05:45 -0500
From: koki9@postoffice3.bellatlantic.net
Subject: VH1 Pop-Up videos

Just to let you know, VH-1's Pop Up Video is currently running "Roll With
It", complete with their little tongue-in-cheek observations bubbles. I don't
know if this is new or not, but I just saw it for the first time today, and don't
remember hearing about it before. They really tread lightly on Steve here, but
they manage to throw in a couple of light-hearted jabs here and there.   For
example, "The oldest known rocker dates back to 1772", or something to that
effect (I didn't have time to tape it). I suppose that is once again insinuating
that Steve is old, and you already KNOW how I feel about that! :)    It is wryly
amusing and contains a couple of interesting factoids: For example, I didn't
know that Paula Abdul choreographed that video.  And they said that it was
filmed without air conditioning, because the director wanted a "sweaty" feel.
Well, it has that, alright!

They'll probably replay it, so please let people know to have the old VCR ready.

By the way, stopped at Tower Records hoping to pick up the Performing
Songwriter mag with Steve on the cover. Walked out without finding the mag!
(Tower Records' magazine rack is a shambles, but I did notice that they have
fanzines in there. Didn't see any about Steve or Traffic, though.) Ended up
spending $$ on CD's,  finally bought "Smiling Phases" Traffic CD collection,
with liner notes by the ever-present Chris Welch.  Also bought CD single of
"Spy" with "Tom Lord Alge Radio Mix" as second track, and a "bonus" track,
previously unreleased "Come Out and Dance". (Got some Sam & Dave and
Junior Walker too, just for the record.) Have yet to listen to any of it, just got it
last night.   BTW, finally found Performing Songwriter at a giant Barnes &
Noble's periodicals section.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:37:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: jfwales
Subject: Bakersfield

As we were going up the I-5 sorta by Bakersfield, I heard an ad on their radio
station - sorry, I don't recall their call letters... - for SW's concert there!  *pout*
I wanna go, but it's in the middle of the week, and that's a three hour drive from
here!

Jeanie

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:02:45 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Sheet music

I recently found this site:  http://www.sheet-music.com   They sell these:

Title: BEST OF WINWOOD* THE BEST OF STEVE WINWOOD FOR
GUITAR
      Item Number: GF0365
      Author: STEVE WINWOOD
      Artist: STEVE WINWOOD
      Arranger or Editor: STAN AYEROFF
      Product Line/Category/Series/Voicing: GUITAR PERSONALITY -
GENERAL THE
      BEST OF... FOR GUITAR SERIES
      Version/Level: INCLUDES SUPER-TAB NOTATION
      Price: 12.95

      SONG LIST / DETAILS

      The Finer Things * Roll with It * Spanish Dancer * Valerie *
Higher Love and more.

Title: TRAFFIC, THE BEST OF SMILING PHASES
      Item Number: 673227
      Artist: TRAFFIC
      Arranger or Editor:
      Product Line/Category/Series/Voicing: TRANSCRIBED SCORE
      Version/Level:
      Price: 19.95

      SONG LIST / DETAILS

   1.MEDICATED GOO
   2.DEAR MR. FANTASY
   3.SMILING PHASES
   4.FREEDOM RIDER
   5.FORTY THOUSAND HEADMEN
   6.HOLE IN MY SHOE
   7.PEARLY QUEEN
   8.GLAD
   9.PAPER SUN
  10.WITHERING TREE
  11.HEAVEN IS IN YOUR MIND
  12.LOW SPARK OF HIGH-HEELED BOYS

Hope this helps.
Hisao Chida / Tokyo, Japan

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: DonkeyDui@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:10:45 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Top 5

   Hi Smiling Phases subscribers.  This is Jeanne Truxton joining in to the
selection of five favorite SW songs, although I know I'm tardy and should
have done this last month  :)       There are some songs like Higher Love
that I would like to include except for the fact that HL has been played on
the radio and MTV/VH1 sooo many times that I still love the song, yet don't
get as excited as I do when I hear another selection.

   Here we go in no particular order:
   1.  Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys.  This song just amazed me the first
time I heard it and it still does.  I'm so glad that he continues to play it
in concert.
   2.  Empty Pages.  I love the piano and the feeling that the song changes
tempo.  Also the emotion in Steve's voice.
   3.  Winner/Loser.  I'm not sure why, but I cried the first time I heard
this song.  It just sounds so unique and beautiful.
   4.  John Barleycorn.  I have always been a fan of harmony and the sound of
folk-rock groups.
   5.  The Morning Side.  Again, just a beautiful sound.

   Thanks for letting me share my humble opinion.  If I wrote this tomorrow I
might choose five completely different songs; there are just so many
   Jeanne Truxton