Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 19:40:33 -0400
From: Judy
Subject: Miscellaneous

I was a little disappointed that Steve's sticking to the same set of songs for his
current show but glad that he's included so many old ones, Low Spark being my
favorite.

I had one more question for you, is that "In Style" magazine with his home and
family in it still on the newsstands? I looked for it today at a few places but
couldn't find any issue of it so will have to go to a real "news" store if it's still
available.

Reading your email really got me excited about my 11th row seats on the 21st
of this month.  I've seen him many times but they were all huge venues.  Won't
he be 50 next year? I thought he turned 49 this past year.

Judy

[So many people have asked for copies of "In Style" and "Performing
Songwriter", that I will probably upload excerpts from both magazines to the
Fans' Web-site within the next couple of days.  Keep looking over there. And
yes, SW will turn 50 in May.  I have a few ideas about what we SPers should do
to celebrate, and would like to start exploring the possibilities in January.
Okay?  Everyone get out your thinking caps.  --BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: KQUEENSE@yjbr.com (Keith A. Queensen)
Subject: A really, really obscure question for the list
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 97 15:23

Here is probably the most obscure question ever posted to the list.  I'm
wondering if there are any  older  Steve Winwood fans out there who  actually
saw the Spencer Davis Group perform in the UK in the 1960's as  part of a
package tour with The Who and several other bands, one of which was The
Merseys.  The Merseys (who had a big hit with the song "Sorrow," later
covered by David Bowie on Pin-Ups) consisted of two musicians who had been
in the Merseybeats, accompanied by a backup group called The Fruit Eating
Bears.  So here is  where things get ultra obscure.  I am trying to obtain
information on The Fruit Eating Bears.  Is there any chance any UK members
saw this tour and have some recollection of The Fruit Eating Bears?  Any
chance someone out there in the UK fortunate enough to have grown up in the
sixties  knows anything about the Fruit Eating Bears in any other context?  Is
so, please e-mail me privately--I need to talk to you!!!

Thanks and best wishes,
Keith Queensen,

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 12:39:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: jfwales

Just read SP #104.  As much as I must probably have to agree with Ellie on
her insight into SW's lack of financial finesse, I just have to say one thing:
there's more to life than money...and I kinda think he's figured that out...
Enough said; I don't want to preach.

Jeanie

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "Gary Ames"
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 22:40:51 +0000
Subject: Tape-tree

The tree closes on the 19th. Reasonable response rate , say a dozen or so names.
I'll get back to you with teh structure to post soon.

Cheers!
Gary

[Quick, people!  Email Gary today if you want to be part of the tree!  --BG]

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Bootleggers
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 00:55:57 +0200

Yeah, Peter, I am as enthusiastic as you are, but as the owner of very rare
material I am very reluctant to put it on the "tree" tape because I would hate
bootleggers to get hold of it and make money out of sponging Traffic and
people who love them and exchange tapes for free like we do.

How do you think this problem can be solved? Traffic didn't care very much
about bootleggers in their heyday ( as long as the recordings were good it was
OK with them) but we're far away from the hippy era. Any suggestion to avoid
this inconvenience? Gary? Some other people? I won't send my tape list till this
issue is taken into consideration.

Take Care
Ellie

[Peter responded to Ellie with a note not to include it on SP.  Peter, I have
saved your mail and can still post it if you wish it.  --BG]

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Gabb, Anthony A"
Subject: Financial considerations
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:59:07 +1000

In Vol. 104 Ellie wrote:

"Well I guess bills must be paid, but Winwood's artistic choices weren't always
dictated by moneymaking sprees in my opinion. On the contrary, they may have
proved financially disastrous!!!"

I thought this was the whole point why many people like SW - he has never
done anything musically to ensure financial success.  He has usually done what
he thought was right at the time and does not always bow to pressure to
produce a certain kind of music (maybe Back in the High Life is the exception
and even Junction 7).  This is what makes him an artist not a player in the
market, catering to whatever whim commercial music wants.  It's one of the
reasons I like his music.

Admittedly his choices have not always been the right one's  but it has usually
led to innovative and original music - and although he may not be a billionaire
he has still done well enough in the past to ensure that he can continue to pretty
much make whatever music he wants to.

As far as breaking ranks with groups that had the potential for mega-wealth
and mega-stardom, in both cases he left just when it was clear that these were
the consequences.  As Steve is not a big lover of mega-fame (or fame of any
kind) it is hardly surprising that he felt the need to escape these groups and to
go and innovate again.

....Anthony

ps.  I thought most of the Arc of a Diver synth solos were pretty good!

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:41:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: SW & Spice Girls???????????????????????

I would not doubt if Virgin may be considering having SW & the SG's work
together. I know the SG's are doing a collaboration with the Bee Gees on their
next album so word has it inside the biz. And since SW hits the nail on the
head with this style of music, I would not be surprised if they Virgin are
considering having him do a collaboration also. The SG's next album is
supposed to be part collaborations with other artists. If SW works with them it
would be a SHOT IN THE ARM for him since J7 is selling terrible and he'll get
a new audience as well, since the 'old' fans don't like J7 very much.

Well its in the rumor mill now, I heard this from other sources. i mean not that
i'm a big 'sg' fan i reviewed it for virgin and virgin loved the review, but one
tune can't hurt!? I mean J7 is over the SG will sell on the next CD even if it is
FLUFF! A hit by them will lift both the SG's & SW career. I happen to like J7!
Not his greatest but its QUALITY stuff.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 20:27:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: Traffic Reviewed on the SMS

This '68 all time Rock masterpiece Traffic was Traffics' second release and has
been given the ultimate overhaul by Mofi. Now issued by Mofi on a gold CD
you can really hear every little sonic. This release contained a number of
Traffic tunes that went on to become instant Rock classics. "Feelin' Alright,"
"40,000 Headmen," "You Can All Join In" & " Pearly Queen" are the cream de
le creme here! This album still included the original line up and it's too bad it
didn't last. Mason's tunes on this gold CD show just how a great  his
contributions to the band were as a writer and player. (checkout the clarity of
his acoustic work on "You Can All Join In" ). The musical stampede of
interplay amongst the band is all brought to the front line on this CD (checkout
Chris Wood's flute & sax work!) and everything single notes tone & dynamics
are right where they should have been on all the muddy LP issues over the
years and even on the regular CD issue. Everything is finally cleaned up and all
the original art & liner notes have been faithfully restored. Worth every $$$.

Jay Siekierski

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
from: PBookstein
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:01:52 EDT
Subject: NYC October 7

Of course, couldn't miss SW appearance in NYC 10/07/97.  Excellent
performance, although similar song selection.  Loved Steve' on guitar on
'"While you see...." He did a different solo combination on low spark, an
amazing piano solo where he started real real soft.  The crowd was real great.
During Plenty Lovin 2 guys with beers started dancing in jest, then on
'"can't find my way....."  they signaled to the crowd to stand up. And during
Gimme some lovin they allowed a couple ladies in the audience to get on stage
and dance.  Next thing you know many want to dance and some wanted to sing
backup so security had to start interfering.  Considering it was my 3rd show
on the tour it was a fun time.  My twenty two year old sister in law was
getting tickets for Jane's Addiction in Boston at the same venue as SW and
posed the question "what type of person goes to a SW concert".  She could not
understand why the Boston venue had SW in bold and not Jane's addiction.
She finds SW sappy.  So i tried to explain his diverse history and talent.  I
don't think i'll have the opportunity to go  for 4, but i guess i would.  Bye.

PB

p.s. What did SW play on Conan.

[He played "Angel of Mercy" only.  No interview.  --BG]