Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 12:41:30 -0400
From: Bob Craig
Subject: SW & EC

Murray wrote:

" Last Weekend I dragged out my CD copy of Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert
for a re-listen. It's a Album that doesn't get discussed much in SP."

I have to concur with Murray on this one.  And that brings up another question.
Why hasn't Winwood and EC done any more work together?  When reading
interviews, they seem to have a mutual admiration society going.  Granted, we
have had the ARMS shows and other special events, but they both do enough
session work to, hopefully, have them work together again in the future.  I
really think that would be a helluva treat for both camps.

Finally, scored 12th row seats for Steve at the Orpheum in Boston.

Bob

[It's been announced that SW and EC will work together this fall in a cameo
appearance in the new movie "Blues Brothers 2000".  Hey, it's a start!  --BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: FFFrolic@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Steve Winwood Is Everywhere

 I love reading about the different places one may hear Steve's voice and have
noticed how ubiquitous it is indeed. I remember at a spring training baseball
game a few years ago they played Roll With It between Innings. Driving back
to Florida from Indiana listening to a college football game on the radio I heard
Roll With It being played throughout the stadium only to be followed by
Shining Song a few moments later. But the one that tops them all is when I was
watching CNN a few years ago listening to Back In The High Life sent from
NASA to the Space Shuttle crew as a wake up call.

Larry

[And Larry, we love your screen name.  --BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Shaft51@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:43:33 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Current tour

I'm very happy today because I just got tickets to Steve's show in a nice old
theater in Easton, PA. I understand from a co-worker the place is old and has
been refurbished and is just a great place for a show. Not a bad seat in the joint!

Since I understand you and some other SPers have caught Mr. Winwood once
or twice on this show, I thought perhaps I can ask you something: how does
this show stack up to the 91 Refugees show? I thought that was a phenomenal
show, even with a small band and Steve and Larry Byrom and Randall
Bramblett handling the Lion's share of music.  I would imagine since this is a
bigger band this time out, we can expect some really cookin' stuff. Care to
enlighten?

Chuck

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:19:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kathy Brooks
Subject: Responses to a few people

I have a couple of comments in response to a few people.

#1 - Sorry to Arnie about having to miss Steve in Pittsburgh.  I hear you! Why
not make a road trip on Columbus Day weekend and come see him here in
Boston?  I've got tix, 15 rows back!  YIPPEE!  Anyway, just thought I would
mention it.

#2 - the Sound and Vision concert was chopped to @#*&%^%, I taped it.
Steve, by far, was definitely the highlight, especially his duet with Seal.

#3 - Ok - I'm struggling, I'm sorry.  Can anyone tell me how to erase Des'ree's
voice out of the duet with Steve?  I love him in that song and can't stand her.
She sounds like she never even met him or heard him sing EVER.  Seems to
me she could have made some attempt at "melding" with his style.  She should
be singing to a crew of lounge lizards.  Anyway,  that's my input on that!

#4 - Steve should be in the Hall of Fame.  If the issue is that it's already too
crowded, I can think of a number of people to kick out!  Anyway, even my
Brother thinks Steve should be in, and he is the all-time critic of
EVERYTHING!

Thanks and have a good day!

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: Sherri2729@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:23:41 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: In Style magazine

Just a quick note to let you know that there is an article in the newest edition of
In Style magazine on SW and family.  There's some great pictures of his home
and family.  Also the article confirms that "Sam Winwood" is indeed a grown
nephew of his.

Take care,
Sherri

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 17:54:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: CNN interview
From: jfwales

I get Custom News from CNN's web site, and this came through today...
Thought you might be interested...

Feature Steve Winwood Keeps Rolling with the Times

Reuters
18-SEP-97
By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - His new album may have been a commercial
disappointment, but Steve Winwood is undaunted as he prepares to launch his
first US tour in six years. The British pop music veteran, who has spent most of
his 49 years in the public gaze, will be rolling out his classic hits as well as a
selection of tunes from his current release, ''Junction Seven.''

The album, his first since 1990's ``Refugees of the Heart,'' spent just four weeks
on the Billboard album charts after debuting at No. 131 in June. Winwood is
philosophical about its performance, surmising that his Virgin Records label
has its hands full with other acts. `They've obviously got the Spice Girls and
lots of other things that take more of their attention. I think it's kind of
inevitable,'' he said in a recent interview.  `I like my music to reach as many
people as possible. But over 35 years or whatever, it's impossible to keep on the
crest of the wave. Over a period of time, you have to learn to surf.''

Winwood has plenty of well-known songs to tide him over. He debuted as a
precocious 16-year-old vocalist with the Spencer Davis Group, whose hits
included 'Gimme Some Lovin''' and ``I'm a Man.'' He left in 1967 to form
Traffic, had a brief excursion with the short-lived ``supergroup'' Blind Faith,
and launched his solo career in 1977. His successful albums include ``Arc of a
Diver'' (1980) and the Grammy Award-winning ``Back in the High Life''
(1986).

To underscore the unpredictable nature of the music business, Winwood notes
that jazz and adult contemporary radio stations are playing a song from
``Junction Seven'' that was not released as a single. The tune in question is
``Plenty Lovin','' a duet he recorded with English R&B songstress Des'ree. `I
wouldn't have really guessed that,'' he said. ``They just picked it of their own
accord. It's always interesting to see how the marketplace accepts something or
rejects it.''

Winwood's tour begins Sept. 19 in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., and will keep him on
the road for about two months.

Before releasing ``Junction Seven,'' Winwood re-formed Traffic with Jim
Capaldi in 1994, releasing an album and touring.  In its heyday, the group was
a progressive rock staple with such songs as ``Paper Sun,'' ``John Barleycorn''
and the epic title cut from the album ``The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys.''
Winwood believes the group's psychedelic and jazz-based sounds are evident in
a new generation of artists ranging from Paul Weller to the Dave Matthews
Band.

He expects Traffic aficionados to account for both ends of the age spectrum at
his solo dates, while the middle ground will consist of fans of his solo hits such
as `While You See A Chance,'' ``Valerie'' and ``Roll With It.''   `Perhaps
Traffic has come around again for much younger people. They seem to like
something about that freedom of the early '70s and '60s.''

These days, Winwood divides his time between homes in Nashville and
Gloucestershire, and is married with four children. He says family has
strengthened his Christian beliefs, ``and given me a sense of purpose, a
sense of direction.''  Although, he makes a point of thanking God on his new
album, he resisted the temptation to follow Bob Dylan down his ill-fated gospel
trek of the late 1970s.

 Winwood attributes part of his enduring relevance to the fact that his music,
steeped in soul and R&B, generally transcended particular trends. `I was not so
much into the social change or the fashion side of rock 'n' roll. I was always
primarily concerned with the music side of it.''

Sure enough, expect him to raise the rafters with ``Gimme Some Lovin','' the
infectious 1965 classic rock staple that crops up in movie soundtracks on a
regular basis and still seems like it was written yesterday. Winwood shies away
from past references to the song being the ``bane of my existence.'' `It is
something that I'm required to play. But because of that, with each band and
each year, I try and do a slightly different updated version, and it's always fun
to play. It's a great song to sing. It's not a simple song and it takes work to get it
to sound right.''

Jeanie

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:20:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Here are my 5 tunes

Finally , i am in Boston, settled, waiting for the Grad school to get  going. My
first post from the US, I am a big fan since 1988, i am 23, since High school, i
have been labeled as odd, weird, and different, even sometimes as mysterious,
WHY??, I do not really know, but i think it is Winwood' music, i was always
fascinated with his musicianship, and instrumental capabilities, there are
certain songs that makes you think about your life in the deepest sense,, some
are way too emotional,, or some are very complex, for me.  I am very proud of
being the greatest Turkish fan, in the world, and i know i am,, (i will be at the
concert on the 12th of OCT.)

There is no such thing as favourites, BUT, if i have to list 5, here they are:

1) DREAM GERRARD--listen to it loud in the dark, it teaches you about the
thing that is missing.

2)Dust--greatest ballad ever, it makes me cry every time i listen to it, so these
days i refrain from doin so.

3)No Time To live-- greatest vocal performance ever, something is strange
about this tune, it almost seems like it has been written by someone out of this
world.  It is too perfect.

4)Can't find my way home--again i love the pain and the sorrow, and this one is
a real Classic (although always undermined) alongside Stairway to Heaven.

5)Memories of a Rock & Roller-- Simply because it has an irresistible melody
that is unique, beautiful tunes, and most of all, it is Steve's life and How he felt
about it, ...

I think it is because of such influence , i am majoring on Political Theory,
thanks everyone, we will hit many more 100's i am adamant,

I love you all, remember we are a unique clan, and like a falcon , we just want
to fly......

Berkin.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: # 100....  Some comments
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:43:38 +0200

Well, now that we have many entries - and once we get more -  could we
compile Steve's most loved songs top 10? I see, once I took a look at the entries,
that "Low Spark" is in a very good position to win the title of the Most Loved
Winwood Song of All Time....and of course that would make me happy! Steve
himself chose it among the few Traffic numbers still in his repertoire and I'm
sure he's proud of it. I have an interview with Muff Winwood that says "Low
Spark" is exactly a musical description of Steve as a person.  So what about
counting the preferences and making up a chart?

I was astonished at the many preferences for "In the Light Of Day" that to me
showed Steve's will to go back to Traffic "long track" format he abandoned
from "Arc of a Diver" onwards. In my opinion "Refugees" was the real weak
point in Steve's career, but I thought this song at least had an interesting
structure, and after I saw SW 1991 Tokyo show where Steve performed it really
well, I thought it deserved a better fate.

Finally, I was probably the only SPer indicating just Traffic songs in my Top
five. I put myself out on a limb by saying that in my opinion no Winwood song
outside Traffic equals what he did with the Band, except maybe "Midland
Maniac", "Can't find my way home" and "I'm a Man". But they still come after
several other Traffic numbers in my top 50..... Sorry mates, Ellie's a hopeless
case of Trafficmonomania.....

Just opinions anyway!!

Peace and Love
Ellie

[Look for the list of Ten Most-Beloved Winwood Songs on the web-site early
this week.  Thanks for the idea, Ellie!  --BG]

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: EAcev10716@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:36:07 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Concert videos

If anyone knows of a concert video featuring SW, please reply.

William, Chicago.

[The official web-site lists 4 concert videos. They are the ARMS concert,
Woodstock II, Tommy Live, and Traffic Live in Santa Monica.  The URL is
http://www.stevewinwood.com/multimedia/commvids.html

Would everyone send me a list of the 'bootlegs' videos they own?  I could start a
list on the web-site, so we would all know what we're missing.  ;-)  Thanks for
the idea, William! --BG]

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:28:17 -0700 (MST)
From: Melle D Starsen
Subject: amazing

Like you, Bobbie, I was amazed at how many people listed "In the Light of
Day" as a favourite song.  I was very pleasantly surprised, actually, because this
is one of my favourites of Steve's. In fact, as I read through the list of people's
favourites, I was struck by how many of Steve's songs have a deep spiritual
sound and lyrics.  Hmm.  There is a trend here.  Someone on the list said  they
were glad Steve has the courage to do songs about spirituality -- in fact, the
lyrics describe God, angels, search for meaning.  And not just this latest album,
Junction 7.  Earlier songs.

Okay, I've been inspired by reading lists of subscribers, so here's mine, briefly.
Five favourite songs, in no particular order:

In the Light Of Day
Get lost in this song, it's wonderful. How is it Steve Winwood writes soft
rock/blues music that SOUNDS spiritual? I don't know, but I hope he keeps
doing it.

Higher Love
Another spiritual feel, though at first I thought this song was about loving
another person. Now I have different ideas.

Don't You Know What the Night Can Do
Again, a duality between human and higher power spirituality.

Talking Back to the Night
Joyous, get-out-there-and-knock-'em-dead song. Good for watching starry night
skies to.

Morning Side
During biofeedback for job-related stress problems, this  song was the ONLY
thing that helped me bring my stress levels down.  We tried soothing
photographs, pleasant memories, directed imagery.  Only this song did it.
Thanks, Steve.

All these songs (and others) have helped me through tough times, and good
times.

I started listening to Steve Winwood after I heard Higher Love on the radio a
few times.  I bought my first CD at a store that specializes in used tapes,
records and CDs.  The more I heard, the more I liked. And now, I find that I
am still "discovering" songs as I go back over Steve's long career and listen to
older CDs.

Melle

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:05:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: My 5 SW tunes/albums

Tunes:
Empty Pages
Sometimes I Feel So Uninspired
Medicated Goo
Higher Love
Time Is Running Out

Albums:
Steve Winwood
John Barleycorn
Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory
Winwood: 2 LP great compilation
Junction Seven

If a compilation doesn't count I'll chose...
Last Exit along with the other 4 LP choices.

J7

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 10:44:10 -0500
From: Renee Schiber
Subject: Favorite Winwood Songs

Dear Folks--

I am one of those older Steve fans.  I first heard the Spencer Davis songs on the
radio when I was in high school while I was a Beatle fan.  My sister and I had
this feud going.  We would pretend to disdain each other's music.  I had the
Beatles and Dylan;  she chose Traffic and Donovan.  I didn't pay much
attention to Steve Winwood until he joined one of my favorite musicians,
Ginger Baker, to form the group Blind Faith.  I was so excited to have Ginger
Baker and Eric Clapton back together after the demise of Cream that I was
anticipating just how good that new group would be.  I said, "Yeah, and they
got that guy from Traffic.  You know, Steve Winwood."  This is my first
recollection of Steve Winwood.

The summer of 1969 I went to see Blind Faith in St. Louis at Kiel Auditorium.
(My uncle having seen the marquee thought it was a faith healer.)  A few weeks
later I left small town Illinois for Wellesley College and took with me the only
Blind Faith LP.  In all my autumn, school-has-started depression and
homesickness, I played the grooves off of "Can't Find My Way Home" and
wept.  All the time not really realizing that I was swooning to the wonderful
voice to Steve Winwood.  After this, Steve disappeared from the pop scene.

I wasn't listening much to pop music when Steve re-emerged.  I made note that,
Oh, Winwood is back and paid little attention until I saw the "Roll With It"
video.  I LOVED it.  When I saw the concert which begins with the acoustic
version of "Can't Find My Way Home" performed to an empty hall, I had one of
those emotional moments when an artist connects with something in your heart
and your life.  It's more than a "fan" thing.  Some of Steve's songs are my
favorite because I like the music or lyrics or both and some are my favorite
because they are the themes of certain periods of my life.  These are times when
he sings my heart and soul as happened with most of "Far From Home."

My favorite songs are:
"Can't Find My Way Home"
"Holy Ground"  (I heard it after someone I loved dearly died.)
"The Finer Things" (if you hold me, I will let you into my dreams .... sigh)
"State of Grace"
"Low Spark..."

Hey, I ran out of numbers.  There are so many more I absolutely love.

*I was listening to the Rush Limbaugh show and he used the guitar music from
"Spy in the House of Love" for   his bumper music. Interesting.

Now that my life has taken a spiritual turn and I see it peeping through some of
Steve's best songs, I wish he would do gospel-type, spiritual soul music kind of
thing.  He's got the credentials to go there musically.   He could really "get
down" and tear it up.  Black women singing behind him....  As a black woman,
this image offends me sometimes, but on such music as this, it would be
absolutely appropriate.

Thank you very much.

Renee, Collinsville, IL